R.I.P. Ernest Borgnine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Ernest Borgnine

Though I'm not surprised, given his age, this still saddens me. He was a favorite of mine, and I'd often watch films I otherwise had no interest in simply because I always found something to like about his work.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-...ne-dies-at-95/

Click image for larger version

Name:	WildDutch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	362773
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Really saddened by this. I guess, given his healthy age, this is not really a surprise, but it's upsetting all the same. Just last month, I rewatched THE DEADLY BLESSING and was reflecting on the fact that Borgnine was still alive. I always loved his performances and found it a shame when he was lambasted and labelled a homophobe for his (in my view, innocent and misinterpreted/misrepresented) comments regarding BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. ('I didn't see it, and I didn't care to see it' - well, Ernest, neither did I, not because I'm a homophobe but rather because I find the majority of Ang Lee's films to be preachy, precious and dull.)

Borgnine was a great, earthy actor. It's funny how many of my favourite films feature Borgnine in either a major or supporting role. He was remarkably hard-working, but he also picked some great parts.

I think I'm gonna dig out EMPEROR OF THE NORTH for viewing this week.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

That sucks, he was an awesome actor who brought a lot to some great films, and some that were not so great. 95, though, a good run. RIP.

Comment

Could always bring something to a film, even if the film wasn't very good. Best example being Devil's Rain.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Thought he would live forever!!!!

It always improved a movie when his face appeared on screen and he had parts in some good (and not so good) movies....but whatever the quality, Ernest was always on form...

Last saw him on a doc about him travelling around America in his motor home....

But like Mark said, 95 is a pretty good run...and I hear he had a pretty eventful life....

Comment

Always thought that him and Harry Dean Stanton would live on forever....

Comment

One of my favorites too. I always thought he was a truly scary sociopath in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY. Like others have said, he brought something to even the most minor films. RIP sir.
              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post

Ha ha...he's the OTHER one I always think about too.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                  I don't even wanna know what a world without those two will be like :(
                  "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Hopefully this is just a case of Ernie's Facebook account getting hacked. Check back in a few months.

Comment

Sad news. I've always enjoyed Borgnine's work, mostly THE WILD BUNCH (which is my favorite movie, ever) and his work on AIRWOLF. Like most others, I also thought his turns in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, MARTY, and EMPEROR OF THE NORTH were pretty great. I also loved his role in CONVOY. Hollywood has truly lost a legend. RIP, Mr. Borgnine. Thanks for the wonderful movies.

Comment

Hiya! I'm sure you kids know me best as Sergeant Fatso Judson in "From Here to Eternity".

Comment

Very sad news. I'll always love him for voicing Mermaid Man on SpongeBob Squarepants.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Stickman View Post
                            Very sad news. I'll always love him for voicing Mermaid Man on SpongeBob Squarepants.
                            While that's probably not what a lot of people will remember him for, he was AWESOME in that part.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I never heard Borgnine on SPONGEBOB but I can imagine he was terrific. He had such a unique, instantly recognizable voice with a real enthusiasm and joie de vivre...did see the SIMPSONS episode he did.
                              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
                              X