ROBOCOP remake(2013)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROBOCOP remake(2013)

Not sure if there is thread on this already ( i DID search though)...

anyhow, not sure how much we need this one after the original was so good (but hey made the series / sequels so why the hell not a reboot...cant be worse than those!!)

The PR has begun....Here is an OMNICORP promo video for the remake....nice to see ED-209 in this....

Check out the website too

http://www.omnicorp.com/

Well, it looks like they're preserving the themes of the original. And to the originals' credit (and by extension Robocop 2) the themes of the film are still very relevant, even more today then it was in the 80's and I'm glad that by the looks of the viral trailer that it will touch on today's military industrial complex and the elimination of our rights. Not trying to make this into a political thread or anything but it can't be helped given the nature of Robocop.

Robocop could best be described as the action movie version of Orwell's 1984.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
      Well, it looks like they're preserving the themes of the original. And to the originals' credit (and by extension Robocop 2) the themes of the film are still very relevant, even more today then it was in the 80's and I'm glad that by the looks of the viral trailer that it will touch on today's military industrial complex and the elimination of our rights. Not trying to make this into a political thread or anything but it can't be helped given the nature of Robocop.

Robocop could best be described as the action movie version of Orwell's 1984.
      Not sure if the movie will be good/bad/mediocre...but they ARE making it...and this at least stays in tone......

I have a BAD feeling they may turn this into an IRON MAN -type version of ROBOCOP though....just a feeling though.....It will be a while before we see any evedence one way or another....

Comment

Is Verhoeven selling off the rights to his films lately (there's also a Total Recall remake coming out soon)? Or does he even have any rights to these films?

Doubt there are going to be any remakes of The 4th Man.

Comment

My stance on remakes has always been "Why?" and this one doesn't change my opinion....the original is so fun to watch (just revisited a few weeks ago), makes a great double-bill with STARSHIP TROOPERS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
            My stance on remakes has always been "Why?"
            Money. There's a built in audience for remakes even if movie geeks like us are opposed to them. I can't see how this'll top the original movie but the viral clip is at least amusing.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
              Money.
              Oh, yeah, i know that, i meant WHY would I go and see them?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                Oh, yeah, i know that, i meant WHY would I go and see them?
                I don't know. I mean on the one hand, I'm as suspicious of cash grab remakes as anyone else. It has seemed to me that the incessant remaking that has plagued the horror genre has stood in the way of good *new* horror movies getting made.

On the other hand, the history of cinema is the history of remakes (hell, for that matter, several of Shakespeare's plays were remakes of earlier plays.) And the fact is, I count quite a few remakes among my all-time favorite movies. Just off the top of my head: The Wizard of Oz, The Maltese Falcon, Fistful of Dollars, Cronenberg's The Fly, Carpenter's The Thing, The Man Who Knew Too Much...

So I try to keep an open mind about remakes...Robocop is a movie I grew up watching, so maybe I'm a little suspicious. But I seriously doubt it will be worse than Robocop 3, so eh...what's the harm.

Comment

Just you lot wait ti you see Robocop fly like Iron Man..THEN you will all give up the hope!!!

Comment

This is amusing to me:

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This is amusing to me:

Yeah I linked to that in my first post!!!

Seems like they will be gradually opening up different parts of the page as the release draws nearer (says "access denied" right now)

At least they are going at it in the right way so far....

Comment

Joel Kinnaman is interviewed about playing Murphy here.

"It's a re-imagining. There are ideas from the first movie that have been remade in the second one, but it's a completely new take on it. We have a fantastic director, Jose Padilha he's a very confident, bold director. You need that kind of a strong force in a director that's going to do his first movie with a big studio. You need a person that can stand his ground on certain things, and know which battles are worth fighting and where you compromise. If you've seen his movies, you know that he's a very talented actor's director. The acting is superb in his films, and the action is very, very believable. He also has a history of being a physicist. His knowledge of where robotics and neuroscience is now is a complete understanding of where the cutting edge is. He's working with the writers on a plausible version of 2041, and that's going to be very interesting. The core of it will be something of substance, and then you have the fireworks around it."

I did not know the director was a physicist. I do not know that this really matters.

Guess we'll find out soon enough but it sounds like Padilha at least has some sort of vision here and that it's not just going to be a repackaging of the original.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I did not know the director was a physicist. I do not know that this really matters.
                          Sure it does ...Even the great Dolph Lundgren is a chemical Engineer MASTERS graduate!!

In 1982, Lundgren graduated with a master's degree in chemical engineering from the University of Sydney, finishing with the highest results in his class.
                          And we all know that this has affected his acting/directing in a big way...

Comment

Padilha is a talented director but I often get the feeling the directors for these are strictly guns-for-hire and they make these films just so they can get the chance to make something they really care about, for example James Gunn was able to make Slither because of the success of his script for Dawn of the Dead.

Comment

Even the most talented /artistic/individual thinking directors have probably next to no power on big budget movies like these...They are probably allowed to keep going , but when the crunch decisions come i guess they have to follow what they are told.....except in rare cases...

And yes, I guess lots of directors/writers do gun-for-hire jobs so they can make the films they WANT to make later..hell, they have to pay the bills too...

(PS..What was Gunns motivation for writing the Scooby Doo movies!!!LOL!!)

Comment

Working...
                              X