Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mad Max: Fury Road / Furiosa

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I liked this, a lot. Nothing will ever match the grit and down to earthiness of Mad Max and Road Warrior but this and Fury Road were fun. I really wasn't very enthused by the trailer and thought it looked rather silly but I'm glad I went out and saw it. I agree with all the nitpicks you guys have. I just accept this duo of movies as it's own thing, separate from the original trilogy. Kind of like how Star Wars works best if you take each trilogy on it's own, (and boy do I hate those movies). I hope George does one more.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Scott View Post
      I really wasn't very enthused by the trailer and thought it looked rather silly but I'm glad I went out and saw it. I agree with all the nitpicks you guys have. I just accept this duo of movies as it's own thing, separate from the original trilogy.
      Yes, I agree. Just after writing my previous, nitpick-heavy post yesterday, I was thinking, well, this is essentially a series which has totally reinvented itself with each installment, so it's foolish to criticise the new film simply by comparing it to its predecessors (even though there is obviously a lot more direct continuity between 'Fury Road' and 'Furiosa' than between any of the previous films). Each one is its own thing, for better or for worse.

      Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
      Tom Burke as Praetorian Jack gave off a little Stacy Keach in Road Games vibes. A good thing.
      Yes! I really liked him too - thought he brought a lot to a role which could easily have just been a sorry Max surrogate (although, I still enjoyed his distinctly 'Road Warrior'-esque "I'm going to drive this fucking truck to its destination no matter fucking what" attitude).

      In fact, the section of the movie where he and Furiosa are working as a tag team might be my favourite bit of the film overall - I wish we'd gotten the chance to enjoy some more of that particular brand of action.

      Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
      Overall, this movie made me happy.
      Amen to that.
      https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
      http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

      Comment


      • Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post

        Yes! I really liked him too - thought he brought a lot to a role which could easily have just been a sorry Max surrogate (although, I still enjoyed his distinctly 'Road Warrior'-esque "I'm going to drive this fucking truck to its destination no matter fucking what" attitude).

        In fact, the section of the movie where he and Furiosa are working as a tag team might be my favourite bit of the film overall - I wish we'd gotten the chance to enjoy some more of that particular brand of action.
        Agreed. Going in I didn't know Max would be in it at all and I really dug this dude in the role.

        "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Scott View Post
          I liked this, a lot. Nothing will ever match the grit and down to earthiness of Mad Max and Road Warrior but this and Fury Road were fun. I really wasn't very enthused by the trailer and thought it looked rather silly but I'm glad I went out and saw it. I agree with all the nitpicks you guys have. I just accept this duo of movies as it's own thing, separate from the original trilogy. Kind of like how Star Wars works best if you take each trilogy on it's own, (and boy do I hate those movies). I hope George does one more.
          I enjoyed it, but the thing I find strange: It felt strangely like a combination of 'Road Warrior' & 'Thunderdome'. Storytelling 'style' from 'dome, and action from RW.

          I also seem to've missed how Furiosa was able to hide from Immortan Joe / Rictus while transforming into the Imperator role ? I mean, we did get a tiny bit of it with her quick wits saving the War Rig and Praetorian Jack, but ... we don't see ANY other women of power or strength in the Citadel (or Gastown or the Bullet Farm, for that matter). Irritating plot hole that, honestly, has kinda lessened the whole.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by null View Post

            I also seem to've missed how Furiosa was able to hide from Immortan Joe / Rictus while transforming into the Imperator role ? I mean, we did get a tiny bit of it with her quick wits saving the War Rig and Praetorian Jack, but ... we don't see ANY other women of power or strength in the Citadel (or Gastown or the Bullet Farm, for that matter). Irritating plot hole that, honestly, has kinda lessened the whole.
            I got the impression she'd been hiding out as a War Boy but you're right - it wasn't super clear what she'd been doing in the citadel to survive and stay hidden. For Rictus to see her and suddenly have a slight recall made me wonder how he'd managed to not cross paths with her in the decade(?) since she'd escaped him.
            Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

            Comment


            • Everything since Miller decided to retcon the world from the collapse to having actually gone through a nuclear war has been shit.

              The Road Warrior was the last good Mad Max.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                Everything since Miller decided to retcon the world from the collapse to having actually gone through a nuclear war has been shit.

                The Road Warrior was the last good Mad Max.
                I agree fully with Darcy. The first two are brilliant. Thunderdome is barely ok. Fury Road was bad. I won't even bother with this CGI shitfest.
                "No presh from the Dresh!"

                Comment


                • Saw FURIOSA yesterday and loved it. Do yourself a favour and see it at the theater. I had a few thoughts about George Miller while I watched this epic: he has to be one of the top filmmakers who knows how to use tons of CG properly. It never feels like he uses it as a crutch, but to enhance the visuals and to show us things we haven't seen before. Another thing I thought of, was that nobody but Miller could make a MAD MAX movie; he has such a distinctive style that you simply couldn't copy it. I really do hope that this is the last film in the series, and if it isn't, only Miller should be able to do another one. Please don't continue this series without him.
                  Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

                  Comment


                  • Can the Administrators here change the topic name to Fury Road & Furiosa?

                    Comment


                    • I think it’s interesting at this point to realize that Miller succeeded where Lucas failed. He created three genre defining pictures and then returned to his touchstone films to create new movies which are, in no way similar, but groundbreaking new stories that pushed filmmaking in a very contemptuous time. At least cinematically speaking i.e. AI, streaming…

                      Anyone else get massive Stacey Keach and Road Games vibe from Praetorian Jack? Please tell me I’m not alone



                      Also: Rewatched Fury Road in 4k!!! Brand new expierence
                      Welcome to Costco, I love you.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                        Another thing I thought of, was that nobody but Miller could make a MAD MAX movie; he has such a distinctive style that you simply couldn't copy it. I really do hope that this is the last film in the series, and if it isn't, only Miller should be able to do another one. Please don't continue this series without him.
                        There is another finished script, written, like FURIOSA, in the lengthy pre-production process for FURY ROAD. The film would be called MAD MAX: THE WASTELAND. With how poorly FURIOSA is performing at the box office I doubt Miller gets to make it, unless it is somehow a project that requires a significantly lower budget than the last two films. MAD MAX without Miller would probably end in a travesty but I confess to be kind of curious what a MAD MAX film directed by Mel Gibson would look like. Probably unlikely that's going to happen seeing how Miller included a guy literally [POSSIBLE SPOILER AHEAD] wearing Gibson's Max's scalp [END SPOILER] in FURIOSA. Was that just meant as a reminder that the torch has been passed from Gibson to Hardy and that "Max" isn't necessarily just one character but an archetype? Or do the two men now actively hate each other and it was meant as a diss?

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X