Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Film Noir Thread! Gats, dames, and cheap hooch welcome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Film Noir Thread! Gats, dames, and cheap hooch welcome.

With Ian's blessings (really, it was more like he twisted my arm and sapped me once or twice), this will be the smoky dive to discuss all things noir. BD releases, heads-up on TCM rarities, reviews, news, etc. Bring it here.

To kick start this, TCM is running THE CASE AGAINST BROOKLYN tonite at 10 pm eastern. There is a WAC release of this but if you want to check it out for free tune in. Darren McGavin stars!
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

I hadn't heard of this one before you mentioned it earlier today, Andrew. I'm intrigued though.

"Fact-based story of a rookie cop who takes on a crime syndicate involved in corrupting government officials in Brooklyn, New York."

I'm curious how much Brooklyn location footage is in the movie and I dig the DVD-R cover art/poster art.

Click image for larger version

Name:	case.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	338853

Oh and the MOD release is actually from Columbia, just offered through WAC's website.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Ah, thanks for the correction. I'm not sure how noir it is, it isn't mentioned in my two main noir references but the TCM guide calls it noir-flavored. I'm intrigued too, just wish it was on earlier.

Comment

Didn't want Ian's comments on the Twilight Time BD of THE BIG HEAT to get lost, here they are:

It's a thing of beauty. Very nice, film like transfer, lots of detail, grainy enough to look right but no real print damage to speak of. Solid contrast, nice deep blacks - it looks awesome. The audio is a bit low, but once you turn it up it's properly balanced, no hiss or anything, a very nice and clean sounding track. $30 is a bit spendy for an almost barebones disc (it has a trailer, an isolated score and some really good liners) but if you love the movie it's worth every penny and I'd imagine the run of 3000 will sell out sooner or later.

Comment

You're gonna geek out over that disc.

I never really caught the significance of the whole coffee pot scene the first time I saw it, but in my defence I was in high school at the time and probably more impressed with the shadowy photography and pretty ladies than the more subtle aspects of the movie. I also didn't catch the last line at the end of the movie where he tells the other cop to keep the coffee hot. Little thinsg like that, there are loads of them in The Big Heat that make it one you really need to watch a few times to full appreciate it.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Agreed that repeat viewings reveal layers in THE BIG HEAT. When a gritty and brutal noir is called for that's my go-to as far as Lang is concerned. I think I might prefer SCARLET STREET if I'm ranking all his noirs though, the morbid and downbeat atmosphere in that one is really one of a kind. I've also got a lot of love for THE BLUE GARDENIA, WOMAN IN THE WINDOW and WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS. The only noir of his I don't much care for is SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR. Have you seen THE HOUSE BY THE RIVER? That's a remarkably perverse one.

On another note, I read your review for THE RED HOUSE the other day, that's my next noir BD along with THE BIG HEAT. I know it won't be an outstanding disc but it's gotta be a huge improvement on the shitty pd releases I have. Most of those are damn near unwatchable.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
              Have you seen THE HOUSE BY THE RIVER? That's a remarkably perverse one.
              I love this one. Unusual setting, great folk-dreamy atmosphere and much darker than most noirs. The Kino disk's pretty good.

I think Michael Redgrave helps to scupper SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR.
              Clive Smith
              noodle doodle
              Last edited by Clive Smith; 05-11-2012, 09:56 AM. Reason: stupid

Comment

I have not seen Secret Beyond The Door or The House By The River - there are lots of noirs I haven't seen. I go through phases with them, I'll sit down and watch a few in a week or two, then get off the kick for awhile, then go back to them.

Has anyone actually seen the Scarlet Street Blu-ray yet? I'm tempted to upgrade on that one myself.

Andrew, what's the verdict on Case Against Brooklyn, you check it out last night?
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

No, I didn't see it. I get up at 5:30 during the week and I didn't want to kick off the weekend already tired. I tried my recorder again but it is dead, plan to get a new one next week. I don't feel too bad since I can order BROOKLYN next time I do a WAC order. Still haven't seen the SCARLET STREET BD myself. You should definitely seek out HOUSE BY THE RIVER, that is probably Lang's least known noir (and undeservedly so), never turns up on tv.

Clive, I agree that Redgrave isn't particularly charismatic in DOOR, that one really disappointed me as I love Joan Bennett and had high expectations for it the first time I saw it. It's just so tedious imo.

Comment

I'm going to guess that the Kino disc is the way to go on that one?

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      I'm going to guess that the Kino disc is the way to go on that one?

Yeah, in fact I think it may be the only game in town, unless there's a budget disc I'm not aware of. It looks quite good though and has a couple extras. It's way different from THE BIG HEAT, think gothic noir...decay and twisted, kinky sex.

Comment

Sold. I will seek this out.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And so I did. Ordered it last night.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it, Ian. Very different from Lang's other noirs.

Btw, my hopes for getting a new dvd recorder locally were smashed, the only one in stock didn't have a tuner which renders it useless for off air recordings. I guess I'll have to get one from Amazon or something.
                            Andrew Monroe
                            Pallid Hands
                            Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 05-26-2012, 09:19 PM.

Comment

They're starting to get harder to find, I've noticed. Not a trend I like, but what can you do.

House should be here early next week, I'll definitely chime in once I get the chance to check it out.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X