Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Film Noir Thread! Gats, dames, and cheap hooch welcome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The TCM neo-noir series starts tonight and will be on each Friday night in July. Hosted by Eddie Muller and Ben Mankiewicz. Tonight's films are HARPER and POINT BLANK, starts at 8 pm eastern. Should be worth seeing their intros and outros even if you've seen the films. Hopefully they will be up on YouTube sometime after it airs. More info and full list of films here.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• I guess I can let the cat out of the bag as it's sorta official now, but an article 'wot I wrote' about Carl-Jan Colpaert's 1991 neo-noir road movie Delusion, featuring comments from interviews with Colpaert and cinematographer Geza Sinkovics, should be appearing in the next issue of the Film Noir Foundation's NOIR CITY magazine/e-magazine in the 'Under Surveillance' section.

'Twas a labour of love.

'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• A couple of weeks back, noted film critic Gerald Peary conducted a survey of the Greatest Noirs of All Time. I was asked to participate. Here are the results:
        1. Double Indemnity 2. Out of the Past 3. Touch of Evil 4. Kiss Me Deadly 5. Detour 6. In a Lonely Place 7. The Big Heat 8. The Big Sleep 9. Gun Crazy 10. The Killing 11. The Maltese Falcon 12. The Asphalt Jungle & Pickup on South Street (tie) 14. Scarlet Street and The Killers (tie) 16. Force of Evil 17. Sunset Boulevard 18. Criss Cross 19. Shadow of a Doubt and Lady from Shanghai (tie).
        For the record, my picks were: Gun Crazy, On Dangerous Ground, Naked City, Detour, The Killing, Big Heat, The Line Up, Touch Of Evil, White Heat, Try And Get Me (aka Sound of Fury) (not in order).

Your List?!

P.S. Peary asked for American films and in B&W (although some other films got votes, too)

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeS View Post
          A couple of weeks back, noted film critic Gerald Peary conducted a survey of the Greatest Noirs of All Time. I was asked to participate. Here are the results:
          1. Double Indemnity 2. Out of the Past 3. Touch of Evil 4. Kiss Me Deadly 5. Detour 6. In a Lonely Place 7. The Big Heat 8. The Big Sleep 9. Gun Crazy 10. The Killing 11. The Maltese Falcon 12. The Asphalt Jungle & Pickup on South Street (tie) 14. Scarlet Street and The Killers (tie) 16. Force of Evil 17. Sunset Boulevard 18. Criss Cross 19. Shadow of a Doubt and Lady from Shanghai (tie).
          For the record, my picks were: Gun Crazy, On Dangerous Ground, Naked City, Detour, The Killing, Big Heat, The Line Up, Touch Of Evil, White Heat, Try And Get Me (aka Sound of Fury) (not in order).

Your List?!

P.S. Peary asked for American films and in B&W (although some other films got votes, too)
          Interesting lists. My top noirs would include ACT OF VIOLENCE, NIGHTMARE ALLEY, THE BIG SLEEP, PITFALL, THE ASPHALT JUNGLE and SCARLET STREET. I could of course name another 10 that are right up there. Really hard to nail it down to the absolute best. There are so many from that prime period that deserve respect.

Comment

• Laura doesn't get any love anymore? It's not necessarily in my top 10 but I would have figured it as an automatic inclusion on any critics list.

I would go with: Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard, Touch Of Evil, In A Lonely Place, Drive A Crooked Road, Detour, Kiss Me Deadly, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Murder By Contract.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• On Dangerous Ground
              Criss Cross
              Phantom Lady
              He Walked By Night
              Night and the City
              Out of the Past
              Murder My Sweet
              Nightmare Alley
              Scarlett Street
              The Woman in the Window

But, yeah, I could easily come up with a another ten, and another, ...
              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                Laura doesn't get any love anymore? It's not necessarily in my top 10 but I would have figured it as an automatic inclusion on any critics list.
                I do love LAURA but it somehow just misses the mark. Another list of mine could easily include my three favorite Dana Andrews movies; Laura, Where the Sidewalk Ends, and Fallen Angel. All top Noir.

Comment

• Fuck, I left LAURA off my list...there were inevitable losses. I love that film and it would definitely be in my top 10. Also love WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and FALLEN ANGEL. Not top tier but very good. And, Scott, if you want to see Dana Andrews at his best, you NEED to see BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES. Not a noir, it's about WWII soldiers adjusting to civilian life. One of the best films ever imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                    Laura doesn't get any love anymore?
                    "When a man has everything he wants, except what he wants most, he loses his self-respect." - Clifton Webb in "Laura". If I have that quoted right, it's one of my favorite movie lines.

Comment

• Likewise, it's interesting that 'Mildred Pierce' doesn't get a look-in on the Peary list. I've always thought of that one as a pretty nailed on, critically beloved classic.... but as I was pondering at tedious length on my blog recently, I suppose it's in a odd position re: noir, in that the first twenty minutes or so are definitive noir brilliance, but then it goes off in a somewhat different direction, genre-wise.

I'm also surprised to see 'Lady From Shanghai' on the list. I mean, it's a fascinating movie, no question, but... it's kind of a mess, right? I had no idea its critical standing was so high.

Anyway. My largely unsurprising, straight-off-the-top-of-my-head Top 10:

The Big Combo
                      Touch of Evil
                      Night and the City
                      The Set-Up
                      The Line-up
                      Double Indemnity
                      Mildred Pierce
                      Detour
                      Out of the Past
                      Kiss Me Deadly

Getting it down to ten is pretty hard work. Such a sprawling, endlessly rewarding area of cinema to explore...
                      https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                      http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post
                        Likewise, it's interesting that 'Mildred Pierce' doesn't get a look-in on the Peary list. I've always thought of that one as a pretty nailed on, critically beloved classic.... but as I was pondering at tedious length on my blog recently, I suppose it's in a odd position re: noir, in that the first twenty minutes or so are definitive noir brilliance, but then it goes off in a somewhat different direction, genre-wise.

I'm also surprised to see 'Lady From Shanghai' on the list. I mean, it's a fascinating movie, no question, but... it's kind of a mess, right? I had no idea its critical standing was so high.

LAURA made the runner-up list in the Peary poll. I think the consensus was that it was a bit too smooth and 'soft' to be a top tier gritty Noir. A view I agree with.

As to LADY FROM SHANGHAI, many of Peary's participants, unsurprsingly were fellow film critics and authors. Orson Welles still has a strong auteurist hold on that group. It definitely wouldn't even be on my long list.

Comment

• I've hardly seen any film noir from the 40s and 50s, but I absolutely adore PICKUP ON SOUTH ST.. Sam Fuller was such an incredible filmmaker.
                          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• OUT OF THE PAST - top of the pops
                            IN A LONELY PLACE - Bogart and Grahame, so good
                            BORN TO KILL - gotta have some Tierney in here somewhere
                            STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS - Love Babs, i actually prefer this to DOUBLE INDEMNITY
                            RAW DEAL - gotta have a Mann
                            TOUCH OF EVIL
                            SCARLET STREET
                            GUN CRAZY
                            DEAD RECKONING
                            THE BIG HEAT - Ford grates on me, but Grahame is so awesome
                            BLOOD ON THE MOON

That'll have to do for this moment in time

Honorable mention to ROAD HOUSE. Not a strict noir, but Ida and Widmark are so much fun in this, gotta throw it out there. And if we were to allow color, NIAGARA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                              And, Scott, if you want to see Dana Andrews at his best, you NEED to see BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES. Not a noir, it's about WWII soldiers adjusting to civilian life. One of the best films ever imo.
                              I do need to see that, been on my to-watch list forever. Thanks for the reminder!

Comment

• The other im surprised not to see getting mentioned is Force Of Evil. Maybe my view of its standing is skewed. When I was a young film buff i had a couple books that had lists of the key films to track down. Both picked out Force Of Evil for special mention so it's always been ingrained in my brain that it's high up in the pantheon.
                                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                                X