Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Film Noir Thread! Gats, dames, and cheap hooch welcome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming from Warner Archive! Great news, this is a terrific noir with the 3 Roberts (Ryan, Mitchum and Young) in fine form.

NEW 2021 1080p HD Master Sourced from 4k Scan of Original Camera Negative!
    CROSSFIRE (1947)

Run Time 85:00
    Subtitles English SDH
    Sound Quality MONO - English, DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
    Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3
    Product Color BLACK & WHITE
    Disc Configuration BD 50
    Special Features: Commentary by Film Historians Alain Silver and James Ursini, with Audio Interview Excerpts of Director Edward Dmytryk; Featurette "Crossfire: Hate Is Like A Gun"

Years of police work have taught Detective Finlay that where there's crime, there's motive. But he finds no usual motive when investigating a man's death by beating. The man was killed because he was a Jew. “Hate,” Finlay says, “is like a gun.” Robert Young portrays Finlay, Robert Mitchum is a laconic army sergeant assisting in the investigation of G.I. suspects, and Robert Ryan plays a vicious bigot in a landmark film noir nominated for five Academy Awards®, including Best Picture. Edward Dmytryk (Murder, My Sweet) directs, draping the genre's stylistic backdrops and flourishes around a topic rarely before explored in films: anti-Semitism in the U.S. Here, Hollywood takes aim at injustice...and catches bigotry in a Crossfire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	144117284_10159340673016563_5632724104742945906_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	359433
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• I really enjoy these noir threads, Paul's neo-noir thread and Andrew's noir thread, and I was curious about international noir. I know that there are great European and Japanese entries -- but the ones I'm most interested in are the ones in our own backyard (south of the border, that is). And while there are great ones from Mexico, there are some real treasures from throughout South America.

I know, I know, availability is the big obstacle here.

The thing about Spanish-speaking noir is that it's rarely "pure" noir (although these countries do have their own neo-noir movements, which I know next to nothing about). The older, 50's films, that I am familiar with frequently incorporate elements of noir into their crime stories, soap opera-ish mysteries, and, in Mexico's case, the hugely entertaining run of Caberetera films that were insanely popular in the 40's and 50's, many starring the vivacious Niní³n Sevilla. Some noir films from Mexico that I really enjoy are Victims of Sin and Salon Mexico (both by Emilio Fernandez) along with Aventurera and Sensualidad (both by Alberto Gout). Most of those are on DVD. And that's just scratching the surface.

Even more interesting to me is South American noir, mainly for it's lack of availability. I can speak to the qualiity of exactly one: the 1958 Argentinian film, Rosaura a las 10. Here's a brief capsule: "Susana Campos plays the title role in Rosaura a las Diez. Actually, when the film begins, Rosaura is pretty much a figment of the imagination of mild-mannered Camilo. Using an old photograph, Camilo invents a sexy girlfriend so as to arouse the interest of his true love, his landlady's daughter. And then one day, Rosaura shows up in the flesh, and Camilo is forced to marry her."

The good news is the film (a very soft print, alas) is on YouTube, complete with subtitles, if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0df...ature=emb_logo

What I really wish is that someone more knowledgable about noir (Andrew, Paul?) would tackle the subject from an international perspective. I feel like it's a neglected cinematic vein whose riches are overdue to be tapped.

Comment

• I know next to nothing about Mexican or South American noir unfortunately. I'd like to correct that at some point. There was a guy who used to post here, Richard W, who talked about them some. There may be some posts from him on the subject in this thread, they'd be several years ago.

Comment

• What I know about Latin American noir comes from Richard W, to be fair: it's thanks to him that I managed to track down VICTIMS OF SIN, which is a superb film. I can't say I'm an expert on noir from that part of the world, but I'm definitely a fan and need to see much more. (Thanks for the link to ROSAURA A LAS 10, btw.)
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Saw this at the Blu-ray forums. Eddie Muller announced on Facebook that the restored, uncut version of THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME is coming. Great news, this is a unique, dark film. Robert Young really plays against character in this one. I've never seen the uncut version, looking forward to it.

"EXCITING NEWS FOR NOIR FANS. TCM will debut the restoration of this great film as part of the upcoming TCM Classic Film Festival, intro'd by yours truly. It will then be available on Blu-ray from the Warner Archive. It has been decades since the original 1947 cut of this film has been seen. The film was cut in the 1950s for reissue on double bills and that's the only version that has circulated in recent years. I only saw it complete years ago in Zagreb, a print loaned by the Belgrade Film Archive. Almost 15 minutes has been restored. P.S. I'm not going to discuss here what's been "put back," as I don't want to spoil the film for people who haven't seen it. Now you can discover for yourself what was missing!"

The Blu-ray looks like it will be released May 25th.

Name:	288712_large.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	359689

Comment

• I'm looking for a copy of Aram Katcher's The Right Hand Of The Devil (1963) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268576/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
              50 years ago, it used to pop up on late night TV and it's been that long since I've seen it.
              If anyone knows of a source, I would appreciate the information. Thank You.
              George Barry
              Last edited by George Barry; 04-08-2021, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by George Barry View Post
                I'm looking for a copy of Aram Katcher's The Right Hand Of The Devil (1963) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268576/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
                50 years ago, it used to pop up on late night TV and it's been that long since I've seen it.
                If anyone knows of a source, I would appreciate the information. Thank You.
                I have a really rough AVI taken from an old tape source that I can hook you up with if you want. It isn't good quality but I don't know of any other option for this one.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• That's Great. Thank You.

Update: Oddly another party just uploaded the film yesterday to YouTube

If Peter Lorre and Charles Boyer had fallen in love in a Warner Bros Cartoon, their love child might have been Aram Katcher in The Right Hand Of The Devil, though I could be overselling the movie a bit.

George Barry
                  Last edited by George Barry; 04-12-2021, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• Kino just announced this...

Coming July 13th!

Larceny (1948)
                    • HD Master from a 4K Scan
                    • Audio Commentary by Film Historian Eddy Von Mueller

Director George Sherman (The Sleeping City, Big Jake) keeps the twists and turns coming in this hard-boiled film noir.

Name:	EznEL6OWEAQbUvY.jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	359796
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      Kino just announced this...

Coming July 13th!

Larceny (1948)
                      • HD Master from a 4K Scan
                      • Audio Commentary by Film Historian Eddy Von Mueller

Director George Sherman (The Sleeping City, Big Jake) keeps the twists and turns coming in this hard-boiled film noir.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26845[/ATTACH]
                      That's great! Never seen this one but it's reviewed very positively in a noir reference I have. Memorable dialogue and fast paced. It looks like this is the first release of any kind too. Duryea is always worth watching in a noir.

Comment

• I haven't seen this either but have been keen too for a long time.
                        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Warner Archive have a couple "B" noirs in the pipeline. I haven't seen either of these but I do know that I WOULDN'T BE IN YOUR SHOES was based on a Cornell Woolrich story - always a big plus in my book.

Name:	51ryqVaK3HS.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	360095 Click image for larger version

Name:	5103p6Qk89S.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	360096

Comment

• TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY (1951). Fairly interesting noir about a paroled con, Bill (Steve Cochran), who is released from prison after an 18 year stint for a murder he committed at 13 years old. The early scenes are a nice fresh angle in that Bill is a literal man-child who has never tasted freedom as an adult. He's tough from growing up in jail, but, he has no people skills in the real world.

Unable to return to his hometown, he escapes to New York City. Lonely, he meets a dime a dance floozy, Cathy (Ruth Roman), in a platinum blonde wig that rivals that of Barbara Stanwyck in DOUBLE INDEMNITY for sheer sheen! With such a volatile pairing it isn't a surprise that crime follows, and the movie turns into another Lovers On The Run tale.

The first half of the film is a pulpy noir in the proper sense. A hood, a femme fatale and some appropriately sleazy settings and behavior. Once fully on the run, Guy Endore and Art Cohn's script becomes more melodramatic than usual for the genre. Tension is always around the corner, but, they are more on a mundane level. Felix Feist's Direction is professional, but Daniele Amfitheatrof's score unfortunately emphasizes the histrionic elements of the film. Robert Burks' cinematography is up to his usual fine standard. Cochran is solid as the galoot who is still trying to 'grow up'. Roman steals the film, showing a wide range of emotion from taunting temptress to scheming opportunist to, eventually, a protector of her man. Underrated for her looks, Roman is positively electric as the blonde (and not too shabby with her natural hue).

TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY is a relatively minor noir that settles for too safe a second half (and conclusion), but has some real moments, especially between Roman and Cochran.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeS View Post
                              TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY (1951). Fairly interesting noir about a paroled con, Bill (Steve Cochran), who is released from prison after an 18 year stint for a murder he committed at 13 years old. The early scenes are a nice fresh angle in that Bill is a literal man-child who has never tasted freedom as an adult. He's tough from growing up in jail, but, he has no people skills in the real world.

Unable to return to his hometown, he escapes to New York City. Lonely, he meets a dime a dance floozy, Cathy (Ruth Roman), in a platinum blonde wig that rivals that of Barbara Stanwyck in DOUBLE INDEMNITY for sheer sheen! With such a volatile pairing it isn't a surprise that crime follows, and the movie turns into another Lovers On The Run tale.

The first half of the film is a pulpy noir in the proper sense. A hood, a femme fatale and some appropriately sleazy settings and behavior. Once fully on the run, Guy Endore and Art Cohn's script becomes more melodramatic than usual for the genre. Tension is always around the corner, but, they are more on a mundane level. Felix Feist's Direction is professional, but Daniele Amfitheatrof's score unfortunately emphasizes the histrionic elements of the film. Robert Burks' cinematography is up to his usual fine standard. Cochran is solid as the galoot who is still trying to 'grow up'. Roman steals the film, showing a wide range of emotion from taunting temptress to scheming opportunist to, eventually, a protector of her man. Underrated for her looks, Roman is positively electric as the blonde (and not too shabby with her natural hue).

TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY is a relatively minor noir that settles for too safe a second half (and conclusion), but has some real moments, especially between Roman and Cochran.
                              Excellent review, Joe. I have the Warner Archive disc of this. I like the film quite a bit, though the ending is a little disappointing. Ruth Roman was very underrated, she's terrific in just about everything I've seen. THREE SECRETS, directed by Robert Wise, is a particularly good film. I'm also a big Steve Cochran fan, probably forgotten today, but to me he's the quintessential 1950s hood. HIGHWAY 301 is a fantastic crime film and he's the lead. A stone cold killer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                                Excellent review, Joe. I have the Warner Archive disc of this. I like the film quite a bit, though the ending is a little disappointing. Ruth Roman was very underrated, she's terrific in just about everything I've seen. THREE SECRETS, directed by Robert Wise, is a particularly good film. I'm also a big Steve Cochran fan, probably forgotten today, but to me he's the quintessential 1950s hood. HIGHWAY 301 is a fantastic crime film and he's the lead. A stone cold killer.
                                Thank you. Cochran is good here as the 'man child' - he grows in the performance. Roman is superb.

Comment

Working...
                                X