Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Film Noir Thread! Gats, dames, and cheap hooch welcome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
    Watched Satan Thumbs A Ride yesterday.
    Awesome movie, lives up to the hype.

Comment

• Henri-Georges Clouzot's L'Assassin habite au 21 (The Murderer Lives at 21, 1942) gets the hi-def treatment from Masters of Cinema March 18. One can't get enough Clouzot on blu-ray. No mention if its region-locked:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MURDERER-LAS...I38BKWI3TAASSG
      "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
      - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• News via the BAN forums - Olive is releasing HELL'S HALF ACRE and RUTHLESS in March (no specific date yet).

Click image for larger version

Name:	hha.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	342316
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Nice. I've seen and enjoyed Ruthless and haven't seen (but want to see) Hell's Half Acre. The more Elsa Lanchester the better!
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I've never seen either one, Ian and they both sound pretty interesting. HELL'S HALF ACRE will give us more Evelyn Keyes, one of my favorite femme fatales (THE PROWLER, THE KILLER THAT STALKED NEW YORK, 99 RIVER SREET, JOHNNY O'CLOCK) and Marie Windsor is in it too! RUTHLESS sounds swell too, and cad par excllence Zachary Scott is the star. Nobody does smug superiority better. I see Sydney Greenstreet and Martha (hubba hubba) Vickers are in it as well. March is starting to look pretty good to me.

Comment

• Ruthless is up in its entirety on Youtube in 7 parts if you want to try before you buy, but you'd probably enjoy it and the quality of the streaming version is nothing to write home about. But here's the first part if you're interested:

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'll get both of these.

Comment

• An interesting series of noirs on tonight on TCM: Tomorrow is Another Day, Breaking Point, The Prowler.

Comment

• Panic In The Streets is up for pre-order on Blu-ray from Fox with a 3/26/13 release date here.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• That's one (PANIC IN THE STREETS) that I can pass on BD. It's pretty good but the dvd will do me fine. THE KILLER THAT STALKED NEW YORK is a better film on the subject imo.

Comment

• Evelyn Keyes was amazing in 99 RIVER STREET and THE PROWLER, I'm definitely interested in checking out more of her noirs.

Comment

• Check out this appreciation of THE FALLEN SPARROW (1943) with John Garfield at this excellent blog:

http://livius1.wordpress.com/2013/01...allen-sparrow/
                          "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                          - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• I have the novel by Dorothy Hughes but haven't read it yet, the film could be pretty different, In a Lonely Place is very different whereas Ride the Pink Horse is quite faithful.

Comment

• More Olive noir news courtesy of the BAN forums - Olive will release BDs of CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS and CHAMPION in April (no specific date yet). Amazing times we live in, with terrific noirs hitting BD on a regular basis. I love the cover for CITY, so detailed!

Click image for larger version

Name:	city.jpg
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	342498 Click image for larger version

Name:	champion.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	342499

Comment

• Olive are really doing some fine work with the oddball noir titles lately, glad to see more in the pipeline.
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X