Seeing Hobbits at 48 frames per second

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing Hobbits at 48 frames per second

Just saw this link posted over at Mobius.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1452391.html

I'd been wondering for a while how this was going to work out. Without having seen what Jackson's shot it annoys me in a vague, hard to pin down sort of way. Partly that's because it's being presented by Cameron and co. as a new technolgical achievement which it isn't. 24fps was settled on as a "good enough" compromise decades ago but given enough light and film you can shoot absurd framerates and have been able to do so since forever.

Mostly though I worry that this is a decision that's being made to make 3d palatable and it's going to have an unpleasant flow on effect to the rest of cinema. I've seen a fair bit of 48 frames per second over the years and never been a fan. In theory it's better. A smoother, cleaner picture without motion blur etc. In reality it just doesn't look like film.

24fps, 35mm film is a pretty compromised format but we're used to those compromises. They're part of what we associate as being the Hollywood look and when you remove those compromises to make a better image the brain doesn't always like it. Think of the hard edges on video. Video shows crisp, clean hard edges on stationary objects while film can't because the grain keeps shifting. Video is far more accurate in this situation but we prefer to look at film. I think 24 frames is another example of that. It's the result of compromise but now we're trained to like it.

I do wonder if Jackson would be doing this if it wasn't for 3D. I still haven't been to a 3d film but I hear a lot people have trouble with headaches and fast moving scenes are hard to follow at 24fps which they are hoping will be cured at 48fps. Also hear that 3d films are brighter at 48fps but I'm sitting here trying to think of a reason for that and will put it down to marketting chutzpah until someone explains it to me.

Will be very interested to hear what everyone thinks of this as footage becomes available.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
    I do wonder if Jackson would be doing this if it wasn't for 3D. I still haven't been to a 3d film but I hear a lot people have trouble with headaches and fast moving scenes are hard to follow at 24fps which they are hoping will be cured at 48fps.
    My guess is now, and I have gotten headaches and mild motion sickness from 3D projected in the theater. Coraline being the best example. I loved the movie and thought they made very good use of the 3D but it made me a little quesy for the 1st 20 minutes or so. I haven't seen anything (at least I don't think I have) at 48fps but I'd like to, just to see if I could notice much of a difference.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

You will notice a difference though which you'll prefer is a whole other matter. I don't have good eyes for this kind of stuff but the difference is stark.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

With that significant of a frame rate increase I'd imagine it would have to be.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And Jackson's response to the issue:

http://collider.com/hobbit-peter-jac...share-js-small
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I think they should shoot it in 24fps and screen it in 48. It will be like PAL speedup deluxe. It will save me so much time when I go see it.
            "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
              I think they should shoot it in 24fps and screen it in 48. It will be like PAL speedup deluxe. It will save me so much time when I go see it.
              And yet it will still be 4 years long.

Comment

Some stills have popped up online for those who dig Hobbits...

Click image for larger version

Name:	hobbit_2_0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	339149

Click image for larger version

Name:	hobbit_1_0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	339150
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I don't dig Hobbits, but I love the monsters in these movies.

Comment

HBBTLVR

Comment

Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Casey View Post
                        Can't wait.

I'm not sure I understand the benefits of invisible arrows. Or invisible bow strings for that matter. And while giant toe fingers look rad, I would think they negatively affect dexterity.

Comment

Originally posted by Roderick View Post
                          I'm not sure I understand the benefits of invisible arrows. Or invisible bow strings for that matter. And while giant toe fingers look rad, I would think they negatively affect dexterity.
                          Well, in the MM, halflings get a +3 with a bow or sling (dexterity bonuses). PC halflings can't have a dex lower than 8, and get a +1 to dex off the bat (but a -1 to Str).

Also, you're overlooking how dexterous the Ninja Turtles are, and they've got gross toe fingers, too.

Comment

Working...
                          X