No announcement yet.

The Punisher (The Original 80s one)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Punisher (The Original 80s one)...

I saw it forever ago (late 90s) but I remember liking it a lot despite not liking action movies at all back then. I remember thinking it was kind of trippy and digging the colors. Haven't seen it since that first time, but I bet it would look good on blu-ray. Anyone have any inside info on that?
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

I like the original. Out of all the guys who've played the role of the Punisher he's definitely the worst but it's a fun action flick with great ultra violence if you have the uncut version.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Haha!... I don't think I've seen any other one and have never been into comic book movies, but I thought he was good! Well.... when I saw it anyway.
      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

You watched Punisher War Zone with me, didn't you? That's my favorite of the three movies. The Dolph one is great though, but like Alex says, seeing it uncut makes a big difference. I think it only came out on DVD uncut in Germany, didn't it? Would be all over this on Blu.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The Punisher is my favorite comic book character of all time. I liked the original PUNISHER, but I just didn't care for Dolph as The Punisher. He just didn't fit, IMO. The Tom Jane Punisher was ok (loved Kevin Nash as the Russian!), and PUNISHER: WAR ZONE was spot on for me. Ray Stevenson was a GREAT Punisher, and more or less how I imagined the character. They also didn't shy away from the ultra-violence that made the PUNISHER: MAX series so gritty and close to what the character is.

That being said, I would absolutely buy a Blu of the Dolph Punisher, if it was uncut. I haven't seen the uncut version.

Comment

I contacted the director (Mark Goldblatt) a few months ago through Facebook asking him about the movie. Here's what he said:

"There was a longer first assembly which included events leading up to Frank Castle's "death" and the birth of The Punisher, but we all (me, producers, studio) mutually decided to jettison that stuff and have a slightly more elliptical structure. It exists as a "workprint version on a PAL German dvd that's hard to find. Has some interesting stuff in it though.

It would be cool to have a special edition, or at least an unrated edition, but honestly I don't even know who owns the rights anymore. Thanks for asking."

Comment

The workprint that's on the Austrian XT Video DVD is definitely a much better cut of the film; IIRC there's snippets missing here and there, but the biggest addition to the workprint is a 20 minute preamble that establishes Castle's life before he became The Punisher. It's just a shame that the workprint on that release is in very bad shape.

Goldblatt's Punisher is a really solid action picture. I love Lundgren's performance here, but I'm a Lundgren fan generally. (I liked Ray Stevenson's performance equally, but Punisher: War Zone was a bit more of a mess - although a fun little film.) The decision not to use the Punisher's iconic t-shirt used to irk me, but now it seems like a sensible idea to me.
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

The Dolph film is my second favorite of the Punisher films. With Warzone being my favorite. I hate the Thomas Jane one. Mainly cause of Travolta's horrible acting.

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                  The Dolph film is my second favorite of the Punisher films. With Warzone being my favorite. I hate the Thomas Jane one. Mainly cause of Travolta's horrible acting.
                  I thought he was pretty funny in it, actually - but I'm not sure he was supposed to be.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I like the original Punisher and War Zone. However I am not a fan of Dolph's ass which gets a lot of screen time but YMMV.
                    "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

There's a pretty ridiculous amount of info on the work print and deleted scenes here, including some clips and stills.

http://www.dolph-ultimate.com/dolph-in/punisher.html

Also, I remember as a kid when this came out that it bothered me that Dolph didn't have the skull from the comics on him, but that when they did the comic adaptation of it, he had the skull. DUMB! See?

No skull!

Click image for larger version

Name:	punisher-dolph-lundgren.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	338777

Skull!

Click image for larger version

Name:	comicbook.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	338776
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                        You watched Punisher War Zone with me, didn't you?
                        Actually, I think I did. I think I liked it a fair amount. I guess not being all that familiar with the character I didn't remember it being the same one.
                        Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Ha! I still have that graphic novel!

Comment

Ignore . . . double posted . . .

Comment

I liked the Thomas Jane one, despite a bunch of bahooey with Travolta. But I like Thomas Jane. I remember being surprised that the Dolph one was way better than I'd heard, but War Zone didn't really do much for me. I should revisit it.

Comment

Working...
                              X