Rip-offs, re-uses, and visual idiocy: The art of how not to package a movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rip-offs, re-uses, and visual idiocy: The art of how not to package a movie

I know it's similar to the "dvd's I don't ever want" thread, and the "great vhs art that never made it to dvd" thread, but it is also just different enough to justify a new one, I think.

Tom "Dude Designs" Hodge just found these. Thought I'd share them with you guys:

I bet you there are more, too.
    www.cinemasewer.com

Amazing! That looks like Denise Richards' face poorly dropped into the image on that last one.

Comment

I know abso-lutely nothing about any of the films presented, but I'll share my thoughts on the cover designs.
      Film a) Roadkill: This looks like one of those Asylum knockoffs they sell at Big Lots. Must be about a giant bloodthirsty buzzard that eats or just slices up women.
      Film b) The Levenger Tapes: Are we to assume the figure in the background is following the girl on the ground? Or has he asked her for help in finding the mini-dv camera that has their vacation footage?
      Film c) Absentia: Looks like ghostly doggy style with the hand in her hair and on her shoulder.
      Filmd d) The Hillside Stranglings: First thought after seeing this cover, "Overkill". Do you really need the noose and gun if you're going to strangle the hand-tied lady, Mr Capri-Pants with Doc Martens? I would think your fashion sense would have caused her brain to aneurysm by now. And seriously, what could Denise Richards have done that would make you go to such a Palisades Tartan Extreme? Seeing as how this is from the producers of Ed Gien and Bundy, I pretty much know what to expect.
      Great post Bougie, I hate recycled graphics on releases like this.

Comment

The cover for Absentia in particular irks me because it completely misrepresents the movie. The movie itself is a slow burn ghost story, very psychological and not at all a balls out horror movie with any sort of extreme content at all as the cover would lead you to believe.

The movie is really good, the cover is shit. Amazing how much use they got out of that image.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Turns out it's a royalty free stock photo. Here is where all the shitty, lazy graphic designers are downloading it from:
          http://www.123rf.com/photo_4004138_e...from-dark.html
          www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

Unreal, and so typical of the laziness that's become the apparent norm in indie horror movie making. But a pretty cool comparision piece. I'd love to see more of this shit layed out for examination.

Comment

Make your own!

www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

Here's one made by Adam Myles! Nice job, Adam! ^_^

www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

It's different. Yet....familiar.

Comment

^

I honestly thought that was a Bill Zebub flick at first glance.
                      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Wow; this is crazy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	horrorcuts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	338865

http://www.amazon.com/Horror-Cuts-Bi...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

Comment

Or how about some books?

Click image for larger version

Name:	books.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	338866

http://www.amazon.com/Flashes-From-T.../dp/B005A7QMZK

http://www.amazon.com/Zombies-Are-Us-Humanity-ebook/dp/B007IS79WO

Comment

I would thumb through FALSIES FROM THE GRAVE, but probably put it back on the shelf.

Comment

Madness!
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X