Clear All

• The BFI To Release Black Panther on Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack

From The BFI's press release:

Click image for larger version

Name:	blackpanthr_df.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	362716

The Black Panther (1977) is an intelligent true-crime drama that charts the infamous killing spree which Donald Neilson, aka the Black Panther, carried out across England in the mid-70s, culminating in the kidnapping and murder of a 17-year old girl. Newly mastered from original film elements preserved in the BFI National Archive, this impressive and powerful film is at long last being made available for new audiences in a Dual Format Edition for a May release by BFI Flipside.

Told with uncommon accuracy and refraining from any measure of sensationalism, director Ian Merrick and screenwriter Michael Armstrong's fascinating and disturbing film fell foul of a media-driven campaign upon its original cinema release in 1977, which resulted in an effective ban.
    Established lead actor Donald Sumpter, who fearlessly played Donald Neilson, was recently seen in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011). Marjorie Yates who played Neilson's wife is perhaps best-known for her role as Carol Fisher in the Channel 4 TV drama Shameless. Debbie Farrington (who plays the kidnap victim) went on to appear in a variety of TV dramas.

Caught by chance after a random encounter with the police, Neilson was convicted in 1976. With five life sentences he was destined to spend the rest of his life in prison and died there in December 2011.

The Black Panther will be released as a dual format edition (DVD and Blu-ray discs together) by the BFI as part of their Flipside strand on 28th May 2012 at the RRP of £19.99.

Featuring a director approved transfer of the film and an alternative French language soundtrack, with English subtitles, the disc will have the following extras:

•Recluse (Bob Bentley, 1981, 30 mins): arresting short film based on real events, starring Maurice Denham and edited by David Gladwell (editor of If.... and O Lucky Man!);
    •Recluse: recce footage (1978, 10 mins): recently discovered 16mm location scouting footage shot by director Bob Bentley;
    •Illustrated booklet with newly commissioned essays and contributions from Ian Merrick, Michael Armstrong, Bob Bentley and James Oliver; original promotional artwork and full credits.

Additionally, they uploaded the VHS release trailer for the movie here:

Rock! Shock! Pop!

For the record I have never seen this movie but I am fairly certain it is completely bad ass.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Never seen it either but I have read some good things. This looks like a must-buy even if T'Challa isn't in it!
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Looks awesome. How much do those BFI disks usually run for?

Comment

The disc is 12 pounds on Amazon.co.uk right now, which is just under $20. Factor in shipping, you're in the $25-$30 range.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Gave this a watch last night and it's quite good. The acting is solid, and it's tense and well made without ever feeling like it's cashing in on the real life events that inspired the movie (something which, according to the liners, it ran into quite a bit of trouble over). It's low budget but that doesn't hurt it. I'd have liked a commentary or director interview but that didn't happen - the liners give a lot of good background info on the movie though.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The trailer was removed and replaced for some reason. Here's the new link. I want to see this film now.

Comment

Desperately awaiting this release and NIGHTBIRDS at the end of the month!
                'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

British newspaper The Guardian posted a cool article on this movie today here. You can check out a picture of the creepy guy that the movie was based on at the link.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm still waiting for my copy of this (and NIGHTBIRDS, for that matter) to arrive. Hope they haven't got lost in the post, as has happened with a couple of items recently.
                    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

Anyone else ever get around to seeing it? Stumbled upon this unexpected but fairly glowing review for the movie at The New Republic of all places.

http://www.tnr.com/article/books-and...ors_picks=true

Takes it on from an American perspective but makes some interesting points.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I still need (and plan) to get it, it's on my list.
                        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I watched it a couple of months ago and loved it. The low-key, naturalistic shooting style worked in its favour. It takes a couple of minor liberties with the facts of the case on which it's based, but nothing that can't be forgiven.

Now, 'Where are keys to safe?' :D

Comment

Love this series from the BFI, was thinking of picking this up, the price on Amazon UK works out to be quite reasonable, especially if you order more than one release.

Comment

I like it a lot. As Paul mentioned above, the low key, matter of fact presentation benefits it. There's no attempt to create sympathetic characters and Donald Sumpter portrays Neilson as a deluded, impotent narcissist.

RECLUSE, the short film about an aging, dysfunctional rural family, which is included in the package, is also well worth a peep.
                              Clive Smith
                              noodle doodle
                              Last edited by Clive Smith; 09-05-2012, 07:08 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

Working...
                              X