No announcement yet.

Burt. Burt Reynolds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokey's getting re-released on Blu-ray on 7/9/13.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Ian, what became of W.W. AND THE DIXIE DANCEKINGS (1975) ? The film disappeared in 1975 and hasn't been seen since. I don't think the film ever made it to VHS. Might have been a betamax tape but I doubt it. It was marketed with two different posters but neither helped it at the box-office:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WWandDixieDancekings-1975.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	343115

Name:	WWandDixieDancekings-B-1975.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	343117

To echo Zane C and Terry C my favorite Burt Reynolds southern-fried action film also had two posters and it was a big hit:

Name:	WhiteLightning-B-1973.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	343118

There is a lot of observant behavorial acting in the film, little things that are important. There's also a lot of talk about "shaky pudding." Does anybody know what "shaky pudding" is? Do you, Silly Swede? Plus I liked the poor white trash women in it. Melanie Griffith makes an early-appearance as an underage unwed breast-feeding mother. For some reason the DVD is open-matte full-screen instead of 1.85. Speaking of DVD's, you guys have got to see RUN SIMON RUN (1970)

Name:	RunSimonRun-1970.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	343119

a made-for-TV movie in which Burt plays a Navajo who gets out of prison and returns to the reservation where he gets into trouble all over again. Superb film. Picture quality is what it is. Drop everything you're doing and buy it now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

It begins like WHITE LIGHTNING with Burt throwing his prison clothes away and charging down the street experiencing Freedom straight into the arms of Inger Stevens who later committed suicide when Burt refused to marry her. It has a score by Orphanage which is deliberately muffled.

One of Burt's very best performances as an actor was in Blake Edwards' remake of Truffaut's THE MAN WHO LOVED WOMEN (1983). There is no action to speak of but the film has beautiful women, generates some heat and is funny as hell. Plus you get a glimpse of Julie Edwards, daughter of Blake and Julie Andrews, as well as Kim Basinger and Denise Crosby in their birthday suits:

Richard--W
      a straight arrow
      Last edited by Richard--W; 05-24-2013, 03:25 PM.
      "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
      - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Sounds like W.W. AND THE DIXIE DANCEKINGS would be an excellent choice for a MOD disc. I'm sure there's boots floating around of it, though.

I recently watched STICK with Burt in it which wasn't bad, either.

Apparently Burt also hates his own work in NAVAJO JOE as well. As in, he buried it when asked about it. A shame, as it's not a bad Spagetti Western. I saw it a long time ago, but don't remember it being THAT bad.
        Zane C.
        Last edited by Zane C.; 05-24-2013, 05:43 PM.

Comment

This popped up on Facebook and I felt it needed a home here as well.

Name:	1013138_10201059055131881_117405815_n.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	343574

That is all.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Watched the new Kino BD of WHITE LIGHTNING recently, first time I've seen this film in many years. It was even better than I recalled and there's a cool interview with Burt (part one, the second part is on GATOR), he has something to say about most of his co-stars - mostly complimentary except for Diane Ladd - and talks about the writer, director and the stunts. It's great but kinda short at around 10 minutes. Frankly, he doesn't look real healthy but he's getting up there and has had some ailments.
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

This thread makes me wonder, why do no stars today have any kind of facial hair as their "standard" look?
              "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Coming soon from Warner Bros.

Name:	10410223_10153406629203572_7627610895091970933_n.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	347486

Name:	10806200_766262246762398_6420999109108770718_n.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	347487
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I sure hope those two get a region b release as well.

Comment

THE LONGEST YARD is on Netflix instant

Comment

I've just found a very odd, quite depressing video on Youtube featuring two arses goofing around on Reynolds' old ranch, which given the place's status as a filmmaking 'Mecca' in the 1970s and 1980s and the remnants of its filmmaking past, is kind of like seeing the dilapidated Xanadu estate in CITIZEN KANE.

Anyway, for the curious, here it is:
                      www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-xVB-FfKLM

Think I need to go and watch SHARKY'S MACHINE and bury my head in the sand with regards the inevitable 'march of time' now
                      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Nice find Paul!

Also, I must say, I love your current location! Are you there to see the volcano?

Comment

Farnsworth sent me...
                          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy Wallace View Post
                            Smokey and The Bandit rules all.
                            I knew a vegan sXe crust punk who decided to get his trucking license after watching Smokey and The Bandit 6 times in a row. He made it through the course and had to do a run with a full time trucker to get certified and the dude, not understanding that vegan straight edge people can't drink whiskey or eat beef jerky, was very confused by his new apprentice. My friend was fine with the occasional offers of smoked meat, but apparently the dude tried to grab his pecker one night while they were sleeping so my buddy just quit being a trucker then and there and hitch-hiked to Ohio.

He called me up one night on DMT because he figured... if you're going to break edge, fucking destroy it.

Also Burt fucking rules.

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnP5 View Post
                              I knew a vegan sXe crust punk who decided to get his trucking license after watching Smokey and The Bandit 6 times in a row. He made it through the course and had to do a run with a full time trucker to get certified and the dude, not understanding that vegan straight edge people can't drink whiskey or eat beef jerky, was very confused by his new apprentice. My friend was fine with the occasional offers of smoked meat, but apparently the dude tried to grab his pecker one night while they were sleeping so my buddy just quit being a trucker then and there and hitch-hiked to Ohio.

He called me up one night on DMT because he figured... if you're going to break edge, fucking destroy it.

Also Burt fucking rules.
                              Love the story. And reminds me that one day I do want to try DMT.

Comment

That's some weak DMT. One can't dial a phone on DMT.

That being said, I once bled in some chunks of soundtrack from HEAT into a piece of music by my band Drug Zombies on our album "Bad People Smell Funny". I think the song was "Busload of Lunatics", and also featured snippets of other things including Bachelor Party feat. Tom Hanks.

On topic?
                                paul h.
                                woly boly
                                Last edited by paul h.; 06-20-2015, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X