Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE AVENGERS: (EXTENDED SUPER BOWL TRAILER)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE AVENGERS: (EXTENDED SUPER BOWL TRAILER)

The Hulk in action!

Loki: "I have an army."
    Stark: "We have a Hulk."

I want to geek out at that, but I just can't. I think I am truly over the comic book movies.

Comment

If I'm bored I'll watch it. I'm just not a big comic fan despite liking the villains. That's probably why I'm more interested in Dark Knight Rises because the Batman villains are really interesting, deep, and all kinds of fucked up in ways that most super villains aren't.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

The films leading up to THE AVENGERS (IRON MAN I & II, INCREDIBLE HULK, THOR, CAPTAIN AMERICA) have each embraced the concepts behind the comics they're based on and translated them reasonably well to the big screen, so I have a good feeling about this. I do, however, feel like after this film I will likely have reached my personal saturation point with the genre. There are already plans for IRON MAN 3 and THOR 2 but it seems like THE AVENGERS should be the capper to all these Marvel films and they should call it a win and walk away since we'll just get diminishing returns from here on out.

Saying that, I'm sure my curiosity will get the better of me with any subsequent superhero movies though - I'm already planning on renting the new GHOST RIDER movie just to see if it's possible to make a movie worse than the first one, and I'm willing to check out Zack Snyder's SUPERMAN reboot in order to witness how badly he'll fuck it up. I will also admit to hoping for another BATMAN reboot after DARK NIGHT RISES comes out, but mainly for the possibility of seeing another take on The Joker.
        Toyboy
        like a hole in the head
        Last edited by Toyboy; 02-06-2012, 02:12 AM.
        Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Yeah, if I had stopped developing when I was 13 I might have liked that. I would in such a scenario also still have hair on my head and I would most likely work in some government controlled workshop that employs only retarded people. But since I did mature past the age of 13, I will give this one a pass. Besides, I have seen this film already when they called it X-Men or Batman or Spider-Man or whatever, since all these films are exactly alike in story structure and utilise the exact same special-effects.
          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

I think it's really just going to come down to how much effort they put into the characters. Some of the X-Men movies I've enjoyed for that reason, they got the characters right. This is obviously a factor that works in favor of the comics (or books or whatever) in that you aren't specifically limited to a 2 hour window and you can take your time to develop the characters properly, it'll inevitibly get rushed in the film version, but that doesn't mean it has to be a carbon copy of the other movies that have come before it. Horror movies are just as guilty as comic book movies in terms of recycling the same story over and over, action movies too.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah, perhaps. But why do they use the same SFX? Why does the Hulk fly? I have no idea. It all just seems so mass-produced and tacky.

Comment

The Hulk could kinda-sorta fly in the comics by jumping really long distances.

I always thought that was kind of stupid, personally.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                  Yeah, if I had stopped developing when I was 13 I might have liked that. I would in such a scenario also still have hair on my head and I would most likely work in some government controlled workshop that employs only retarded people. But since I did mature past the age of 13, I will give this one a pass.
                  Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                  OH MY FUCKING GOD! This is the best news I have heard since 1985!!!! I must buy this! Nemesis is my favorite Pyun film of all time!
                  I'm going to assume you were older than 13 in '85.

Comment

Actually, I was not. But Pyun is Pyun. His films are on a completely different level. Comparing Pyun to anyone else is like comparing Mozart to a retard banging pots and pans.

Also, I might have been a bit ironic in the "best news" statement above ;)

Comment

So do you own Pyun's Captain America?
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

You gotta admit though, this site and our "hobby" are fueled by quite a bit of arrested development and nostalgia. We're all trying to recapture that feeling we got at 13 when we first got into this hoo-hah, and pretty much any modern genre film is fairly trite in both content and execution because its all about pushing those old buttons.

Many of the recent superhero films have been poor (I'm looking at you, GREEN LANTERN) but the averages are in line with other genres in that for every good film there are 2 or 3 mediocre ones and about a dozen shit piles. The question then becomes "Do you want THOR 2 or THE INNKEEPERS?". Personally, I'll take THOR 2.

Comment

I have Pyuns Captain America on VHS. I hate its guts. Incredibly lame film. And yes, Toy Boy is right. I want nostalgia. And I love Batman from 1989 and Flash Gordon like you wouldnt believe. I am just so incredibly frustrated at these mass-produced PG-13 CGI wankfests that are completely dominating the mainstream film scene of today.

I want my mainstream films to be more like in the 80s and 90s. Les gimmicky. More R-rated. And Special Effects only to enhance the action and not BE the action.

Comment

I'm 43 and I NEVER outgrew my love for animated superhero flicks and cartoons. Hell, I love animation/anime in general, and look more forward to the animated hero stuff rather than the live action nowadays. That being said, I still wanna see this movie. Always been a fan of the Hulk. More a fan of Marvel, but their animated movies, aside from three of them, were crap. DC makes better animated movies, with better animation. Marvel's pinnacle in that department was HULK VS., specifically HULK VS WOLVERINE. Animation, action and character, were excellent, and there was blood, and people died. If you're posting on sites like this, especially threads like these, you have some form of "arrested development." Might as well own it, than deny it. Nothing wrong with being in touch with the kid inside you.

Comment

DC definitely does the animated thing right. The Brave & The Bold animated series is consistently awesome. They've done very good things with Batman in animated form.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X