Steelbook Editions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steelbook Editions

I do own a couple of "steelbook" case DVDs, titles that I've wanted that I've found cheap and the new Scarface blu. I have noticed, though, that companies are just taking old DVDs, like American History X and From Dusk Til Dawn, slapping them in a "Steelbook Edition" and then charging 25 bucks for them, marketing them as a new product. As near as i can tell, these are the same discs, the exact same discs, that you could previously find on clearannce for 5.99. Are people actually falling for this nonsense?

Because slipcovers aren't stupid enough.

Retailers like 'em, is the point, I think. You can't download special packaging, and anybody weird for steel will probably want to pick 'em up instore rather than risk postal dingage, so they're brick & mortar-friendly. And it gives retailers higher price-point inventory, probably at higher margin, too.

I guess repackaging is a way to get retail to buy "new" backlist product even when you've given up releasing new catalogue titles. It's flopsweat marketing of the really great backlist of movies already made available: that's a huge strength of backlist content, but the failing home video market (thanks, blu-ray, internet, and shrinking economy and retailspace) means they haven't figured out how to sell it. They're so afraid of the long tail making it worthless that they keep trying to add fake "new! improved" stuff to try and drive it back up closer to the rat's ass.

It ought to be about the content: sell it over the internet, appropriately priced. Movies aren't dicks or xmas presents, they don't need wrapping.

Comment

Barry more or less nailed it. I will say this though, I love gimmick packaging. I won't rebuy something just for the packaging but I do tend to geek out over it.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah I was geeking out over steelbooks for a spell. I'll grab them if I don't have the movie already. the only time I fell for their evilness was when the latest version of The Omen. I bought the regular cover, then a couple days later saw they had a steelbook. So I bought that and then sold the other one used for a fraction of what I had just paid for it. I *had* to have that steelbook.

Comment

Todd Jordan, #1 Omen fan.

The only steelbook I think I have for BD is Scarface, but I was big into the Anchor Bay tins when they were doing those during the DVD boom years. I'm also pretty impressed with Fox's giant ass book packages for the POTA BD series and the Mel Brooks series. Those were really nice. I have the nerdy Casablanca fancy box too, and the Dirty Harry set that comes with the badge and the map so that I can arrest people without getting lost the next time I'm in San Francisco.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Fancy packaging is fine, and i mentioned, i have the Scarface Steelbook. I just see stuff like American History X, or Gangs of New York (which may have the old shitty transfer) and wonder why it's almost double the price. Other than Todd's OMEN thing.....which is weird...I guess, I don't see the point. I bought the AB Evil Dead II tin when it came out, but it's not like that was a widely available title prior.

Comment

Oh the Omen thing is weird. I had a moment of weakness. I admit its dumb.

Comment

Oddly enough, the steelbook thing is, I think, bigger in Canada than the US. A lot of the ones I see seem to be Future Shop exclusives.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I WANT THIS.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This too:

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I like the tactile aspect of entertainment products. Something you can hold in your hands look at and/or read. I like actual books, opposed to kindles/nooks. I prefer vinyl records and large format artwork/covers, instead of mp3 with thumbnail jpg art.

I'm into the download thing too, but I like my geeky collection of packaging.
                      paul h.
                      woly boly
                      Last edited by paul h.; 04-18-2012, 08:25 PM. Reason: because I'm a fricking idiot

Comment

It might be fun to build a suit of armor out of a bunch of steelbooks.

Comment

Arrow has a steelbook edition of King Of New York in the works...

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I am such a sucker for those. That one looks pretty cool.

Comment

The only one I have is the Texas Chain Saw massacre one. And then I found it for $5 brand new.

Comment

Working...
                              X