Big, Dumb Guilty Pleasures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big, Dumb Guilty Pleasures!

So Mike and I copped to digging the Fast And Furious movies in the 'what'd you get thread' and that got me thinking about other big dumb explosive stupid movies that you kind of don't want to like but can't help but enjoy regardless. The Fast And The Furious movies are good examples of these, perfect really, but there have got to be others.

Off the top of my head, I also enjoy the Resident Evil series. The first one played it fairly straight but they did seem to get progressively goofier - bigger and dumber if you will - as they went on. Also, yeah, Milla, so there's that.

I also enjoyed DOOM, which I realize was really bad, but I don't care. The Rock ran around in the dark and shot things and that was more or less all I wanted out of it. I bought it on DVD and upgraded to it on Blu-ray when it got released on that format.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Resident Evil series = :up:

Comment

Have you seen DOOM?
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I have had the director's cut here on DVD for some years now...and never watched it! I will get onto it as soon as I can, after I've attended to "business"... ;)

Comment

The american GODZILLA movie that everyone universally hates. The one where they literally lose a 30 story upright lizard in Manhattan, and can't find him.

It's big, and it's VERY dumb.
          www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

I really liked Crank 2. I thought Transformers 3 was the best even though I hate Michael Bay movies and the 2 previous movies. The last 45 minutes in Transformers 3 is just nothing but robots killing robots and humans. For that I kinda' dug it.
            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

There are no guilty pleasures!

Comment

Road House

I have loved this film since I saw it opening night. Pure dumb fun.

Stone Cold

Another brain dead action film. Plus my cousin has a small part in it as a biker.

Comment

I love STONE COLD sooooooo much! ^_^
                  www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

Some good choices. Transformers is exactly what I was thinking - I have only seen the first one, but yeah, I enjoyed it and do intend to catch up with the sequels.

Stone Cold and Roud House are awesome too. Not necessarily big but definitely dumb.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

You know what's big and dumb (and realistically a cinematic disaster) that I really enjoy as a guilty pleasure? Barb Wire. Afterall, it's a post-apocalyptic remake of Casablanca with Pam Anderson and Udo Kier - what's not to like about that? And the opening credits sequence is awesome! Not because you see Pam's boobs (and who hasn't, barring perhaps the inhabitants of some remote islands in the Pacific Ocean?) but because it's basically just a stripshow that introduces the film by saying "This is the part where you should've left your brain at the door..."

Comment

And the, of course, there's Citizen Kane -- so much angst and drama over a wooden sled...
                        Last edited by Mike T; 09-25-2011, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike T View Post
                          You know what's big and dumb (and realistically a cinematic disaster) that I really enjoy as a guilty pleasure? Barb Wire. Afterall, it's a post-apocalyptic remake of Casablanca with Pam Anderson and Udo Kier - what's not to like about that? And the opening credits sequence is awesome! Not because you see Pam's boobs (and who hasn't, barring perhaps the inhabitants of some remote islands in the Pacific Ocean?) but because it's basically just a stripshow that introduces the film by saying "This is the part where you should've left your brain at the door..."
                          Good choice. I've only ever seen it on TV so it was heavily cut.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I can't think of any that I feel fall into the category. Most of my dumb guilty pleasures are stupid comedies like Dude Where's My Car? and Detroit Rock City. I can't think of any dumb blow 'em up Michael Bay type movies that I enjoy past one viewing.

Comment

Oh, I just remembered a couple of other ones. I like those end-of-the-world summer blockbusters like 2012 and THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW way more than I should. I usually end up having to go see them alone, since no one else I know gets as much of a kick out of them as I do. I very rarely see movies in the theater alone, but those ones are the ones I end up peeping solo.
                              www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X