No announcement yet.

The awesome documentary thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone mentioned Winnebago Man? Highly recommend that.

"Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Holy Hell and Children of God are two excellent docs on cults available on Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G View Post
        Holy Hell and Children of God are two excellent docs on cults available on Netflix.
        Could also throw Jesus Camp on that pile.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Would the Ormond family religious scare films - featuring Rev. Estus W. Pirkle - count as documentaries? They're certainly (unintentional) documents of churches as cults, but I suppose they're more like propaganda, because they weren't made by an outsider and have many staged scenes (plus no objective insight into Pirkle and his followers). Still, everyone should see IF FOOTMEN TIRE YOU, WHAT WILL HORSES DO?. It's insane.
          Matt H.
          Last edited by Matt H.; 09-12-2016, 03:57 PM.
          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Winnebago Man and The Imposter are excellent. I was on a huge documentary kick awhile back. Right now, the one that sticks to my mind is Orion: The Man Who Would Be King.

Comment

Three I really enjoyed were Dogtown and Z-Boys, Bones Brigade, and Bloods and Crips: Made in America, all by Stacy Peralta. I also enjoyed Michael Rappaport's doc about A Tribe Called Quest, Beats, Rhymes and Life.

Comment

Originally posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
                . I just ordered A Certain Kind of Death. Anybody seen that one?
                That is a great documentary. I remember it being difficult to track down for a reasonable price back when I bought it.

Comment

Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee

just okay. there is a funny hammock story in there tho...

i guess John McAfee like hammocks

Comment

Heavy Metal Parking Lot (1986)

Comment

Dirty Driving: Thundercars of Indiana

didn't see this one in here in a quick scan. might have a bias cuz of location.

trailer

clip

Dirty Driving: Thundercars of Indiana

was at a demolition derby in Anderson once when i was a kid. not sure if it was Anderson Speedway. anyway, at some point a car was trying to get out of the field area. tiny little hill/bump at the edge. car was pretty messed up and couldn't make it over the bump. a lady stood up and shouted,"It's an impotent car! Can't get it up!"

a fun memory
                      JLG
                      Last edited by JLG; 10-08-2017, 06:44 AM. Reason: remembered something funny

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                        Has anyone mentioned Winnebago Man? Highly recommend that.

WINNEBAGO MAN (2010) - Jack Rebney became an early unwitting YouTube sensation when a 1989 tape of outtakes from an RV Promotional film starring him were leaked on the site. Rebney's angry curse-strewn outbursts delighted millions who mocked his misery.
                        Director Ben Steinbauer decided to track him down. He had seemingly disappeared. The Winnebago company completely disassociated itself from Rebney. The small crew who shot the 80s video remembered the shoot well, but had no idea where he had gone. Finally, a P.I. gave Steinbauer a clue that lead to a meeting. Rebney had retreated to a remote mountain in northern California and lived alone.
                        About half an hour in, and the Documentary seemed complete. It lays out the backstory. Rebney is found alive and doing well enough. The end? Instead, Steinbauer inserts himself into his subject's life. Poking. Prodding. Asking him to go public. Address his “fans.” It can be a fine line between journalism and intrusion.
                        After MUCH toing and froing, Steinbauer stages a happy ending of sorts. He convinces Rebney to travel down to San Francisco and attend a screening of his Winnebago Man outtakes for a gathering of his superfans at the Found Footage Film Festival. To be fair, Rebney seems happy to be out in public and meet his 'public'. A hermit getting a day out.

Early in the Doc, a pair of other superfans are interviewed. They tell Steinbauer that there is no reason to trace where Rebney has gone to. Why? They ask. Who wants to see the Wizard behind the curtain? As bemused as Rebney seems to be at the end, one has to wonder whether he would have been just a pleased - if not more so - if he had just been left alone.

Comment

Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks

probably mentioned this one before. love this one. pretty funny too

Comment

Just finished watching the 4 part Heaven's Gate: The Cult Of Cults on HBO Max tonight. Genuinely fascinating stuff, especially as I remember hearing about it on the news when it happened. It's all very sad and quite moving but also very eye opening. Creepy, but if you're fascinated by cults and what draws people to them (a subject I've always personally found interesting) it's absolutely worth your time.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                              Just finished watching the 4 part Heaven's Gate: The Cult Of Cults on HBO Max tonight. Genuinely fascinating stuff, especially as I remember hearing about it on the news when it happened. It's all very sad and quite moving but also very eye opening. Creepy, but if you're fascinated by cults and what draws people to them (a subject I've always personally found interesting) it's absolutely worth your time.
                              I enjoyed it as well, was pretty creeped out by a lot of the final act. I do find the subject of cults interesting, but have stayed away from docs since seeing the "new" Jonestown doc that came out about 15? years ago? Where they included the found footage of the news crew that were gunned down trying to escape. I don't often get nightmares about things I watch, but that one shook me pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post

I enjoyed it as well, was pretty creeped out by a lot of the final act. I do find the subject of cults interesting, but have stayed away from docs since seeing the "new" Jonestown doc that came out about 15? years ago? Where they included the found footage of the news crew that were gunned down trying to escape. I don't often get nightmares about things I watch, but that one shook me pretty good.
                                Yeah, that's totally fair. I don't need to see a lot of real life death footage these days.

Also, the Heaven's Gate website is still up. That's fucking odd.

https://www.heavensgate.com/
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X