No announcement yet.

The awesome documentary thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Filth and the Fury" is another good documentary. So are "Decline of Western Civilization" 1 and 2. I hope one day part 3 comes out. Kind of surprised that it has never leaked out.

Comment

I've got a watchable DVD-R of Decline III, it's around. PM me if you want more info.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

There are a number of James Ellroy docs but my favourite is one for the BBC called Feast of Death.

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
          "The Filth and the Fury" is another good documentary. So are "Decline of Western Civilization" 1 and 2. I hope one day part 3 comes out. Kind of surprised that it has never leaked out.
          It was on Youtube for a little while, but now it looks like it was taken off.

Reality 86'ed is one I've wanted to see for awhile now and it finally leaked on the net in May by Dave Markey himself. Sadly, short after that Greg Ginn shut it down once again.

http://vimeo.com/23499919

One day I hope to see it...

Comment

Lemmy. That shit was good. And I dug the Jack Cardiff documentary. Really well done.

Comment

Thread resurrection! I love a good documentary. I just ordered A Certain Kind of Death. Anybody seen that one? Watched Dear Zachary the other night, and while it made me sick to my stomach by the end, I'm not completely sure it's such a good documentary. Too much time spent glorifying the murdered man and his parents, which made it feel a lot more manipulative than it had to be. Any somewhat new documentaries you guys would recommend?

Comment

Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks

a very funny sports/basketball doc

Comment

Originally posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
                  Any somewhat new documentaries you guys would recommend?
                  Some somewhat new ones that I really liked a whole fuck of a lot were:

LET THE FIRE BURN (2013)

SENNA (2011)

THE SOURCE FAMILY (2013)

THE IMPOSTER (2012)

THE SEVEN FIVE (2014)

CARTEL LAND (2015)
                  Robin Bougie
                  Last edited by Robin Bougie; 09-07-2016, 05:22 AM.
                  www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff D View Post
                    Dear Zachary : A Letter to a Son about his Father is superb, it's also one of the saddest documentaries/films I've ever seen. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152758/

I'm not embarrassed to say it but I teared up several times. It's streaming on Netflix currently. Sniff..
                    Oh man, this doc is punishing! It haunted me for a few days afterwards.
                    Matt H.
                    Last edited by Matt H.; 09-07-2016, 10:55 AM.
                    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Watched Dear Zachary the other night, and while it made me sick to my stomach by the end, I'm not completely sure it's such a good documentary. Too much time spent glorifying the murdered man and his parents, which made it feel a lot more manipulative than it had to be.
                      I didn't think it was manipulative. Those poor parents went through hell.

Comment

As Robin mentioned, The Seven Five and Cartel Land were great.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                          I didn't think it was manipulative. Those poor parents went through hell.
                          I agree completely, which is why I think a somewhat less subjective style would have made the film stronger.

Thanks for suggestions by the way. I recognize a couple of these from Netflix I think, so I'll check it out when I have a couple of hours to spare.

Comment

I agree completely, which is why I think a somewhat less subjective style would have made the film stronger.
                            Personally, I think the fact that the director was a family friend afforded it an intimacy that wouldn't have been there if it was made by an outsider. Documentaries don't come much more personal than this one; it's part of what makes it unique. I agree that the story itself is strong enough on its own, but who knows if the parents would've even participated in it (or opened up) if it was made by someone they didn't know. That, and the fact that the initial concept is about a man making a personal document to show to his good friend's son. I don't see how it could've worked as well without the connection.

Comment

You do have a point, Matt. I have a hard time enjoying the sentimental tone of many of these personal documentaries, though. Maybe I'm just jaded.

EDIT:
                              Just remembered I've seen The Imposter before by the way. That was a great one.

Comment

I watched Cartel Land on Netflix tonight. Very good documentary about the endless circle of violence and corruption that's tearing Mexico apart. Feel they could've skipped the American segments, as they add very little (except one extremely good looking vigilante). The film really gives you very little hope for the future of the region. It's as if we as humans cannot tear ourselves from our natural state of greed, brutality and ever-present Wille zur Macht.

Comment

Working...
                                X