Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the world needs now is a Charles Bronson thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post

Check out Kinjite and The Evil that Men do. Both are great Bronson films.
    A1. Will do. Pretty sure I stumbled across a copy of Kinjite on Plex yesterday actually so I know at least that one's easily grabbable.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• I've got Hard Times, Kinjite and The Evil That Men do loaded up on the Plex and ready to work my way through them. I just need to draw attention to the tag line for The Evil That Men Do:
      "Most criminals answer to the law.
      The World's most savage exectuioner must answer to Bronson.
      It's 1984 and Bronson has never been hotter!"
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Those are all pretty great. HARD TIMES is wildly different from the other two. Looking forward to your thoughts on all three.
        "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• Jesus... The Evil That Men Do and Kinjite do not fuck around. If they were modern movies I would have to decry their casual racism and rampant fascism but because they're from the 80s I can enjoy them with a clear conscious as 'time capsules'.

What was with that scene with Bronson and a dildo in Kinjite? You know what makes that scene weirder? Remembering that Bronson kicked the door in to get into that hotel room and thus any hotel guests passing by are going to see Bronson casually sodomising a dude with a rubber cock. The ending of this one is surprisingly spectacular. I don't mean the bit with him handing the bad guys over to the rapists, I mean the bit on the docks with the out of control dock hardware. Very cool stuff.

All in all enjoyed both. I give the edge to Kinjite just because it had more moments that had me feeling pleasantly ashamed for watching but TETMD had it's charms.
          Last edited by Dom D; 05-10-2023, 06:07 AM.

Comment

• Next try MURPHY'S LAW if you're looking for sleazy laughs. You have seen DEATH WISH 3, correct? If not, stop what you're doing and put it on immediately. It's one of the reigning champs of bad movies.
            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Have you seen 10 TO MIDNIGHT? That has a similar vibe as KINJITE and THE EVIL THAT MEN DO. I'll second MURPHAY'S LAW as well.

HARD TIMES is very much a classic-type period drama. IMO, it stands far above the Cannon-era films he did. It also co-star James Coburn and that alone is worth watching it for.

Also, have you seen his westerns and western adjacent films from around that period? BREAKHEART PASS, WHITE BUFFALO, DEATH HUNT, CHATO'S LAND, etc. Many of these came out after the first DEATH WISH but before he went all in on his Cannon '80s work and they are all excellent films.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                Have you seen 10 TO MIDNIGHT? That has a similar vibe as KINJITE and THE EVIL THAT MEN DO. I'll second MURPHAY'S LAW as well.

HARD TIMES is very much a classic-type period drama. IMO, it stands far above the Cannon-era films he did. It also co-star James Coburn and that alone is worth watching it for.

Also, have you seen his westerns and western adjacent films from around that period? BREAKHEART PASS, WHITE BUFFALO, DEATH HUNT, CHATO'S LAND, etc. Many of these came out after the first DEATH WISH but before he went all in on his Cannon '80s work and they are all excellent films.
                I've seen basically nothing here. 80s US trash has never been my thing. Possibly it should be. I'll get onto a few the ones recommended by yourself and Matt asap. Death Wish 3 should be easy to source one would assume.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post

I've seen basically nothing here. 80s US trash has never been my thing. Possibly it should be. I'll get onto a few the ones recommended by yourself and Matt asap. Death Wish 3 should be easy to source one would assume.
                  Oh my god, I'm so jealous. I wish I could go back to my first viewing of DW3. Enjoy.
                  Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post

You are in for a treat!

Comment

• Kino Lorber announced that they're releasing Death Wish V on Blu-ray later this year.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Death Wish 3: Those Hollywood types really were doing a lot of coke in the 80s weren't they? Watching this I realised I'd seen it before. That street corner that half the movies shot on lodged itself in my memory for some reason. I probably saw itr on UK telly in the 90s. I'd like to say daytime television but surely that's not possible... I did not enjoy it then but it's a film that gets better the more distance you get from it.

Apparently the Browning machine gun used in this can't be hand operated like this, it needs to be mounted or it misfires within a few rounds. That's a damned shame as in a better world this is how Bronson would sort all street violence.

Comment

• Coming September 26th from Kino Lorber Studio Classics
                          Death Wish 4: The Crackdown (1987)

-Audio Commentary by Film Historian Paul Talbot, the Author of the BRONSON'S LOOSE!
                          -Theatrical Trailer
                          -Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase
                          -Optional English Subtitles

The vigilante is back—with a vengeance! Superstar Charles Bronson (Death Wish 1-3) blows the drug underworld wide open in a blazing quest for justice and revenge in Death Wish 4: The Crackdown. Haunted by his violent past, Paul Kersey (Bronson) struggles to forget the brutal deaths of his loved ones—and his obsessive one-man battle to avenge their murders. But when a dose of toxic “crack” kills the young daughter of his new girlfriend (Kay Lenz, Breezy, House), Kersey again becomes the infamous urban vigilante. Vowing to wipe out the entire cocaine network of L.A., he skillfully lures two vicious, competing drug empires into a bloody turf war. But there’s a sinister force behind the scenes (John P. Ryan, Runaway Train) with his own diabolical plans for Kersey in this powerhouse action-thriller, which marks the seventh team-up between Bronson and legendary director J. Lee Thompson (The White Buffalo, Murphy’s Law).

Click image for larger version

Name:	359500521_753253580095889_7723534230865908220_n.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	417422
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Coming September 26th!

DEATH WISH V: THE FACE OF DEATH (1994)

• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Paul Talbot, the Author of the BRONSON'S LOOSE!
                            • Theatrical Trailer
                            • Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase
                            • Optional English Subtitles

Color 95 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R

No judge. No jury. No appeals. No deals. Superstar Charles Bronson (Death Wish 1-4) returns for his final appearance as the iconic dealer of death, Paul Kersey, in Death Wish V: The Face of Death. After battling on the streets in cities from coast-to-coast, vigilante Paul Kersey has moved back to New York. But when his beautiful fiancée Olivia (Lesley-Anne Down, The Great Train Robbery) is killed and her daughter is kidnapped by a kingpin of the underworld, Kersey finds himself back in the war. Kersey’s plan to live anonymously is shattered when he learns his fiancée was the victim of a protection racket run by her ex-husband, the psychotic Tommy O’Shea (Michael Parks, Nightmare Beach). One by one Kersey hunts down the criminals. Once again, upholding the law becomes his way of life. And this time, in the ultimate, take-no-prisoners Death Wish, it’s for good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	361851611_672529978251037_6375838047226355143_n.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	417523
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                            X