Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the world needs now is a Charles Bronson thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ChicGandil View Post
    In regard to Death Wish II, III & IV, which releases are uncut?
    The Shout! release of DW2 is uncut, but the best release is arguably the Australian disc from Umbrella, which includes the unrated cut, Greek VHS cut and 'R' rated cut - and it's also a double bill with DW3 - which is presented fully uncut. (That said, I think the US release of DW3 is uncut too.)

All releases of DW4 are, AFAIK, uncut. Again, the Australian release from Umbrella is arguably the way to go, as this is also a double-bill and includes DW5.

https://www.umbrellaent.com.au/movie...--blu-ray.html

https://www.umbrellaent.com.au/movie...--blu-ray.html
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
      The Shout! release of DW2 is uncut, but the best release is arguably the Australian disc from Umbrella, which includes the unrated cut, Greek VHS cut and 'R' rated cut - and it's also a double bill with DW3 - which is presented fully uncut. (That said, I think the US release of DW3 is uncut too.)
      DW3 has never been released uncut. It was cut for an 'R' by the MPAA and the cut footage has never surfaced.
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
        DW3 has never been released uncut. It was cut for an 'R' by the MPAA and the cut footage has never surfaced.
        Wasn't the 'X' rating originally given to DW3 reduced to an 'R' classication after an appeal, with no cuts required, Matt? My memory is a bit fuzzy about this.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
          Wasn't the 'X' rating originally given to DW3 reduced to an 'R' classication after an appeal, with no cuts required, Matt? My memory is a bit fuzzy about this.
          It does say that in the trivia section on imdb, but I always thought it was cut for 'R'. I'd have to watch it again, but I seem to remember a few jarring edits as well.

EDIT: I found this from Paul Talbot's book:

Like Death Wish II, the third entry was too brutal for the MPAA, and the film was slapped with an X rating. But this time Winner was aware of the rating and fought it. "[The MPAA] didn't want to give it an R rating [and] asked for a number of cuts," the director remembers. "But in the States you have an appeals board consisting of cinema owners and producers. I went before the appeals board and the appeals board overthrew the censor. The censor put his point of view and I put my point of view and my point of view won the day, so we did not have to make any cuts for America. Nothing was changed."
          Matt H.
          Last edited by Matt H.; 12-09-2019, 09:52 AM.
          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Coming August 3rd from Kino Lorber Studio Classics

The Valdez Horses (1973) aka Chino
              • Bronson in Almerí­a: NEW Interview with Vincent Van Patten
              • Audio Commentary by Film Historian Paul Talbot, author of the BRONSON'S LOOSE! Books
              • The Valdez Horses - New 2K Scan from 35mm Print (1.85:1)
              • Restored Studio Canal 1.37:1 Master with French Title & Credits
              • CHINO (The Valdez Horses) - TV Spot
              • CHINO Alternate Opening Titles
              • The Valdez Horses: Italian Opening Titles
              • CHINO (The Valdez Horses) - French Theatrical Trailer
              • Unknown Island: 8MM Film with Vince and James Van Patten
              • Charles Bronson Trailers
              • Reversible Art
              • Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase
              • Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
              • Optional English Subtitles

Color 97 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
              From John Sturges, the magnificent director of Bad Day at Black Rock, Backlash, The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape and Joe Kidd, comes this hard-hitting western starring action icon Charles Bronson (Mr. Majestyk, The White Buffalo) as Chino Valdez, a leather-tough horse breeder who lives by his own rules. Avoided by everyone for having Native American blood, Chino lives in seclusion until he takes a young runaway (Vincent Van Patten, Rock 'n' Roll High School, Hell Night) under his wing and shows him the ropes of ranching. Chino soon strikes up a romance with the beautiful Catherine (Jill Ireland, Breakheart Pass, Someone Behind the Door), but the smoldering passion ignites a fire of hatred when her brother (Marcel Bozzuffi, The French Connection, The Passage), a ruthless cattle baron, unleashes violence upon the half-breed. It's all-out war—classic Bronson at his toughest! A lush score by Guido and Maurizio De Angelis (Man of the East, Street Law) highlights this rousing Italian-Spanish-French co-production from Dino De Laurentiis (Navajo Joe, The Valachi Papers).

Also available on DVD with reversible art!

Click image for larger version

Name:	174434601_1404046213271927_8348464891442292052_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	359745
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I wouldn't call it essential Bronson but it'll be nice to see a better print. Plus Van Patten has always been a favorite of mine after Rock n Roll High School.
                Welcome to Costco, I love you.

Comment

• I like this one but haven't seen it in full since seeing it on television the early 1990s. I recently stumbled across a decent-looking print on Youtube that I was planning on watching some day.

I would love to have seen Sturges' original cut of the film, but I imagine that's lost to the mists of time.

For some reason, I've had it in my head for many years that this was made for television and 1.37:1 was the intended AR. I must have read that someplace.

I'll be very interested in listening to Talbot's commentary track.

Comment

• Coming from Warner Archive 6/15.

Anthony Quinn and Charles Bronson star in an action-packed Western that explodes with passion, excitement and fiery intensity. Leon Alastray (Quinn), a rebel on the run from the Mexican Army, escapes to the remote village of San Sebastian, where the locals believe he's a holy man. But when Leon discovers that the area has been devastated by savage Yaqui attacks, he knows he cannot hide the warrior within himself. Revealing his true identity, he leads villagers against the deadly threat, while at the same time battling another enemy: Teclo (Bronson), an antagonist with a shocking secret of his own. As the tension mounts, the people of San Sebastian prepare for an explosive fight to regain their courage...and reclaim their town. SPECIAL FEATURES: Vintage Featurette • Theatrical Trailer

Name:	185346848_1421754201501128_7360251192055833222_n.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	359873
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      Coming from Warner Archive 6/15.

Anthony Quinn and Charles Bronson star in an action-packed Western that explodes with passion, excitement and fiery intensity. Leon Alastray (Quinn), a rebel on the run from the Mexican Army, escapes to the remote village of San Sebastian, where the locals believe he's a holy man. But when Leon discovers that the area has been devastated by savage Yaqui attacks, he knows he cannot hide the warrior within himself. Revealing his true identity, he leads villagers against the deadly threat, while at the same time battling another enemy: Teclo (Bronson), an antagonist with a shocking secret of his own. As the tension mounts, the people of San Sebastian prepare for an explosive fight to regain their courage...and reclaim their town. SPECIAL FEATURES: Vintage Featurette • Theatrical Trailer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26952[/ATTACH]
                      Ooh, that's a welcome surprise! It really should be a little better given that cast and Henri Verneuil's direction...but still a worthy watch. Beautiful love theme from Morricone on the score as well.
                      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Kino annouced they are releasing Violent City on Blu-ray
                        Coming Soon!
                        • Brand New 4K Restoration!

Violent City (1970) aka The Family - Starring Charles Bronson, Telly Savalas, Jill Ireland, Umberto Orsini & Michel Constantin - Shot by Aldo Tonti (Nights of Cabiria) - Music by Ennio Morricone (A Fistful of Dollars) - Co-Written by Lina Wertmí¼ller (Seven Beauties) - Directed by Sergio Sollima (The Big Gundown).

Comment

• Excellent

Comment

• We watched a Bronson movie yesterday. It was called... something. A train fell off a mountain. It was amazing.
                            Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• Breakheart Pass!
                              Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

Comment

• From Paul Talbot's Facebook page:

Now ready to be plucked from the vine is Kino Lorber's Special Edition Blu-ray of MR. MAJESTYK (1974)! Charles Bronson IS Vince Majestyk, a peaceful Vietnam vet who wants to be left alone to raise his watermelons. But when a vicious hit man destroys Majestyk's crop, the farmer fights back with his fists, his shotgun, and his Ford F-100 truck! Filmed entirely on actual locations in Southern Colorado, MR. MAJESTYK has Bronson in peak form and stands as one of the great action films of the 1970s.

With Al Lettieri (THE GETAWAY), Linda Cristal (“High Chaparral”), Lee Purcell (BIG WEDNESDAY), Paul Koslo (THE STONE KILLER). Directed by Richard Fleischer (THE VIKINGS, THE DON IS DEAD). Produced by Walter Mirisch (THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN). Written by Elmore Leonard (52 PICK-UP). Shot by Richard H. Kline (THE MECHANIC).

Specs:
                                • Brand New (2021) 2K Scan of the Inter-positive in OAR (1.85:1)
                                • On-camera interview with Director of Photography Richard H. Kline
                                • On-camera interview with co-star Lee Purcell
                                • Audio Commentary by Bronson scholar Paul Talbot (author of the BRONSON'S LOOSE! books)
                                • TV Spot
                                • Theatrical Trailer
                                • Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase
                                • Reversible Sleeve Art
                                • Optional English Subtitles
                                • Region A (You must have a Region A or Region-free player to spin this disc)
                                • Also Available on DVD (Without the Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase)
                                Now available at www.kinolorber.com

Name:	265256496_10158691034024422_7251385091623584601_n.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	360949
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X