RIP Peter Bogdanovich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Peter Bogdanovich

Died of natural causes at 82. I love Paper Moon, one of the few films that my whole family enjoys watching together.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

R.I.P. PETER BOGDANOVICH.
    He had a great early run and produced one of the great American pictures in THE LAST PICTURE SHOW.
    Got to meet him only once. And, he was very gracious, insisting on me giving him MY name, so he could address me properly.
    Off to the great Cinema in the sky.

Comment

Great filmmaker. TARGETS is one of the best films of the '60s and one of the greatest serial killer films of all-time. Also loved PAPER MOON, NICKELODEON, SAINT JACK and the underrated THEY ALL LAUGHED. His commentaries are fantastic and informative as well.
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I loved several of his films, particularly TARGETS and THE LAST PICTURE SHOW. He was also a great friend to the movies; he would appear on TCM frequently to discuss many of the long-gone movie stars and directors (many of whom he had personal relationships with). Fantastic storyteller. RIP.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

LAST PICTURE SHOW is so killer. RIP.

Comment

RIP. I think Im gonna rewatch the last picture show in his honour.
            "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Favourites include Targets, Last Picture Show and Paper Moon. Need to check out Saint Jack (currently on Tubi) and They All Laughed.

I expect TCM will program a showing of his films soon.

Comment

When Peter Bogdanovich passed away in January, the first of his films I wanted to revisit wasn't one of his huge successes like THE LAST PICTURE SHOW or PAPER MOON, but, THEY ALL LAUGHED -- the funky little movie that bankrupted him (in more ways than one*). Alas, like far too many movies, THEY ALL LAUGHED isn't available to legally stream. Did find a copy (it's still in print on DVD).

In many ways, this is Bogdanovich's valentine to New York City in a similar but different way than Woody Allen's MANHATTAN from a couple of years prior. While Allen's picture, is, from his usual self-centered view, Bogdanovich paints a broader, more open hearted take with a touch or two of screwball comedy. Ben Gazzarra and Audrey Hepburn (who had been a real couple) take center stage, but, it has a large supporting cast including John Ritter as the nominal lead.

Of course, no discussion of the movie can go without mentioning the tragic Playmate Dorothy Stratten (the movie is also a valentine to her, and was meant to be her introduction to the movies). She's mostly just a fantasy object for Ritter's character (an obvious stand-in for Bogdanovich himself), but, she did have a certain innate sweetness. Much more interesting is Coleen Camp as a needy, neurotic country singer. A very energetic performance. Patti Hansen (talking about fantasy objects) is extremely sexy as the hottest taxi cab driver in the history of the planet. The movie doesn't entirely hold up on reviewing after all these years (the Ritter pratfalls in particular) but there is such a warm feeling that Bogdanovich brings to it. It's a romantic roundelay in an old school way, but, it also captures a moment in time as the 70s faded into the 80s. You could sense that Bogdanovich was hoping to turn a corner, too. And, then it all came tumbling down (although he did have one more commercial hit with MASK; plus his acting gig on The Sopranos. Not to mention being one of the great cinema raconteurs).

Still, for one shining moment, Bogdanovich could say that during the making of the film....They All Laughed (and loved)**.

* After Stratton's murder, the studio pulled their advertising and release plans. So obsessed with getting the film (and Stratton) seen, Bogdanovich bought the film back and self-released it.

** Bogdanovich often said it was his happiest time making a film.

Comment

i saw it back then and I thought it was very good. Dorothy Stratton was such a gem. It did convey a sense that it could have been a success if not for Dorothy's murder. I watched the documentary for The Other Side of the Wind, from 2018, they had a couple of darkened shots of Peter talking about Welles. peter did not look or sound good. We know why now.
                  Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

Comment

Originally posted by unclefred View Post
                    i saw it back then and I thought it was very good. Dorothy Stratton was such a gem. It did convey a sense that it could have been a success if not for Dorothy's murder. I watched the documentary for The Other Side of the Wind, from 2018, they had a couple of darkened shots of Peter talking about Welles. peter did not look or sound good. We know why now.
                    I met Bogdanovich around that time. He was walking with assistance, so yeah, declining health. Glad that he lived to help bring OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND to fruition.

And, that he lived long enough to see THEY ALL LAUGHED be appreciated, even if as a cult movie of sorts

Comment

Working...
                    X