No announcement yet.

The Ken Russell Rocks Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. Did it change your opinion of the film at all?
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
      Wow. Did it change your opinion of the film at all?
      I was already in love with it, but it certainly was quite the experience seeing it projected. The Q&A with Russell and Redgrave afterwards was also great. Russell was getting on in years at this point but was still very bright and had a great sense of humor.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
          Yeah, damn man, Marissa Mell. If anyone is on the fence about watching this due to it being “lesser Russell,” just go for it.

Followed this up with Billion Dollar Brain. Decent piece of espionage cinema, again with only minor Russel flourishes. Have not seen the other two films about the lead character played by Michael Caine, but this works just fine as a stand-alone experience. Heard the Kino Blu-Ray is missing a scene, which sucks if true.
          THE IPCRESS FILE is superb, Marshall. I can highly recommend watching it.

I need to watch FRENCH DRESSING again. It's been so long since I've seen it that I can barely remember a thing about it. The coastal setting is up my alley as I too was raised in a grotty coastal town.

THE DEVILS is a top 10 film for me. Sadly I've never seen it projected. (My mother saw it on its first release in the UK. I'm jealous.) I could wax lyrical about THE DEVILS for hours... It's an incredible film.

I revisited GOTHIC last week, via the German Blu-ray. I'd not seen this in full since the days of VHS. (I remember the Virgin VHS release of this vividly.) I think my admiration for this grew with this viewing. As an adult and parent, the thread that ties the film together - and projects into FRANKENSTEIN - is the death of Mary Godwin's child. It's a film of hysterics - and my God, Tim Spall is like a rampant badger in this - and I'm not sure I was on its wavelength, or it on mine, last time I saw it.
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I've got to give The Devils another watch. I don't mind a bit of Ken Russell but I recall on the one occassion I saw The Devils I got absolutely nothing out of it. I'm just watching the trailer now and it's not even ringing any serious bells. Given everyone elses feelings on it though I must track it down again.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Russel had the most creative and outrageous set pieces in his films. even in the smaller ones he did for Vestron, I love those, as mentioned Gothic, The Rainbow, White Worm, and the provocative Salome's Last Dance. I need to see that again it may have been too much for even me. it was long ago.
              Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

Comment

Kino has announced that they're working on a Blu-ray release for Whore.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                  Kino has announced that they're working on a Blu-ray release for Whore.
                  I wonder if it'll be a different master than the recent Imprint release? It looks better than it ever has, but the source looks a bit dated and there's room for improvement.

Comment

Sigh.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	devilstwitter.jpg
Views:	2372
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	404390

Comment

Mahler is the perfect virtuoso batshit Russell opus for me. It really needs a blu-ray release.

Comment

I have been stalled on Mahler for so long. I know I'll like it, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Always something else to watch.

Comment

I did finally watch Mahler and while it was far from my favorite Russell film, the stuff with Wagner's widow was fantastic, almost like something out of Russ Meyer. Watched Tommy for the first time in it's entirety a few minutes ago and was absolutely floored despite having seen bits of it all over the place in the past. Viewed the Blu-ray projected on a wall and I suspect the size of it helped. One tinny drive-in speaker but still a very good time.

Comment

Recently caught Mahler and Liztomania on TCM. Liztomania was a real discovery for me, so insane, I've always liked Tommy for the music but this appealed more to me because it had far more humour and comicbook surrealism.

Comment

Saw some of Ken's films show up on Criterion Channel recently, I hope that means that fans of his films will get good news.

I'm not really a fan, though I have been considering rewatching The Devils.

Comment

Working...
                              X