The Green Knight... Another one of those, "Style Over Substance" films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Green Knight... Another one of those, "Style Over Substance" films

The Green Knight... I have not been to the movie theatre in a while, not much I want to see. The last really good movie I saw in the theatre was The Kid Detective, and that was in October 2020. I kept my expectations low for this one, but I was curious as to how the approach to this tale would be. Also, I have a soft spot for, "Sword of the Valiant", the 1984 Golan-Globus take on it with Miles 'O Keefe and Sean Connery, what can I say, I like that film!

Well, The Green Knight starts out OK, but about 15-20 minutes in when it got to a king speaking at a table, and how drawn out that scene was, my first thought was... "Wow, is this how padded it's all going to be?". Yep. This movie could have probably had 30 minutes of nonsense removed from it. Though, even if that 30 minutes or so were removed, the thing is so, "Blah" and dull at times. The trailer really made this look a lot more, "Epic" than it really is. Not many actors in this one, either, few people on the screen, Sword of the Valiant, though it drags in a few places, sure had a lot more interaction, story, etc going for it.

There are times in The Green Knight, where characters just speak all sorts of whatever, reciting something, and, it just goes on... I wanted to see Sir Gawain and his quest, and, I got some of that, but mostly... Artsy Fartsy, Style Over Substance. At times, there is some nice scenery, for sure, but... the movie almost felt like they were working with as small of a crew as possible. Heck, I can't even think of what words to use, to describe anything really interesting about the movie. There is a CGI cartoon fox used in place of a real fox part of the time... ummmmm... The Green Knight himself looks decent, better than Sean Connery's get-up in Sword of the Valiant... Nothing about the film really stands out, and I had low expectations. I wasn't the only one yawning in the theatre.

If you miss this one in the theatre, you're not missing much. I may not be keen on other A24 films like Hereditary and MidSommer, but even though Hereditary had shit that made not much sense to me, at least it had it's moments. The Green Knight really lacks in providing any real moments that stick with me, other than when the Knight was around, which was 15 minutes in, and towards the end. During this movie, I thought to myself a few times, "Wow, Sword of the Valiant is better than this, though in that Cannon-Films type of way...." . I also thought to myself, "Damn, it's been a while since I've watched Excalibur. Excalibur is better than this, I need to watch that again sometime soon, it's been a while".

My feeling, after this, may be similar to how I felt after watching, "The Lodge" Nothing much happens in that film, either, but I'd rather watch The Green Knight than The Lodge. Sytle Over Substance can be alright at times, I found some silly stuff in Neon Demon, such as that woman eating the eyeball. What the fuck, lol. Oh, another that sucked, It Comes At Night... I'd rather watch The Green Knight, than that, again. Oh, I just thought, if I had a choice between the Suspiria remake, and the Green Knight, no question, I would much rather watch The Green Knight.

What I can say, is if you are presented with a choice, of Sword of the Valiant (Golan-Globus!), or The Green Knight, and have seen neither, watch Sword of the Valiant.

I give The Green Knight, a somewhat generous 4/10.

I might come of as a racist now, but the idea of Dev Patel in a film about arthurian times just is not something I can see myself accepting. And I usually like Dev Patel.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

I don't mind the casting, the Arthurian legend is utter bullshit historically so it's just another fantasy flick to me. However, it does sound dull so I'll wait until it's on a streaming service for free.

I like Dev Patel too, his family live a few miles away in the next village from me. Got to support a local boy!
      agent999
      Last edited by agent999; 08-04-2021, 09:18 AM.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
        I might come of as a racist now, but the idea of Dev Patel in a film about arthurian times just is not something I can see myself accepting. And I usually like Dev Patel.
        Well, you got the ball rolling, lol, but yeah, there are quite a number of non-White faces in this movie, and I was also thinking to myself if they did this to meet some quota, I know the oscars requires that now, all movies that go up for the awards must have a certain amount of certain races or the film will not be considered. I am pretty sure other awards are like that, now. So, Gawain's Mom looks Indian, it was really jarring when it was first shown on screen. I did think to myself, "They made Gawain have a black mom?!?". There is also a peasant girl who is black. Some Lord is married to something-other-than-white. So, yeah, it does seem to make this film, certain quotas had to be met. I noticed no Oriental people in the film, though, unless you count the Indians. Not to mention, as you said, Patel as Gawain.

Comment

Bah! If you are over 34 you are old and irrelevant. Movies aren't made for you anymore so your opinion does not matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Roderick View Post
            Bah! If you are over 34 you are old and irrelevant. Movies aren't made for you anymore so your opinion does not matter.
            I resemble this remark.

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
              This is the new way. British telly seems to do it quite a lot so I'm used to it now. It annoyed the hell out of me the first time I saw it though. I was thinking at the time that its giving kids a wierd idea of the past where it makes it look like people of colour had equal opportunity. Then I figured its probably more important that people of colour have equal opportunity now rather than cutting down their options for accuracy when historical accuracy isn't a major aim of many movies. Its a good thing I figure.
              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I mean, if you can accept a green knight...

Comment

Excalibur is incredibly unrated. When I was kid I was Arthurian legend obsessed and Excalibur was exactly what I had in my head. All blood and breasts. The only caveat being that very strange portrayal of merlin. What the hell we're they thinking with that?
                  "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I recall being annoyed by the amount of chrome in Excalibur, but yeah, and thanks for reminding me to watch it again. I don't expect I'll find the colour of a knight's armour as much of a source of rage these days, though. [Perceval huffs krylon, chrome grail visions ensue.]

Comment

Originally posted by Barry M View Post
                      I recall being annoyed by the amount of chrome in Excalibur, but yeah, and thanks for reminding me to watch it again. I don't expect I'll find the colour of a knight's armour as much of a source of rage these days, though. [Perceval huffs krylon, chrome grail visions ensue.]
                      Excalibur may have a lot of chrome, and some silly stuff here and there, however, it has MUCH more visuals, story, action, characters, etc than the Green Knight. There is plenty to look at and going on in Excalibur. Green knight, you see a lot of country-side, trees, and a castle set. That is about it. Ther eis also a Lord's Manor and a cottage in the woods, other than that, not much to look at. Lots of trees. They even had a battefield Gawain walks through, full of dead, and it looked so bare, like it was just thrown together in a day. Nowhere near the work that was put into certain films, such as Excalibur. It also baffles me to think, that the first Conan movie, from 1982, had SO MUCH MORE story, eye-candy, etc going on, and, something modern, bigger budget, etc, like, The Green Knight, could suck so much. I also need to watch Beastmaster again, sometime. That is a better time than, 'Green Knight'. Monty Python and the Holy Grail had a lot more to look at than, "Green Knight".

A24, I tend to know what to expect from them, but even this was below their, "Standards". The Rover, I forgot that was from A24. Rover was damn good.

For all those, who have never seen it, give Sword of the Valiant a go! It's not the greatest movie ever, but, it has that Cannon films type of low-budget charm to it. Also, it has Sean Connery and Miles 'O Keefe!

Comment

I revisited Excalibur after watching The Green Knight and my wife's immediate observation was that it felt very Pythonesque. I don't disagree with her, and Boorman's direction to the cast seems to have been predominately “yell your lines louder”. It's a lush, bombastic romp, and has everything a growing teenage boy needs. Almost as good as Zardoz.

Comment

Almost as good as Zardoz.
                          Oooof!

Comment

...Almost as good as Zardoz.
                            Zardoz is great stuff. And it has Sean Connery!

Now, Roderick, for you to complete your quest, you will have to watch, "Sword of the Valiant" which combines not only, "The Green Knight", but also Sean Connery!

Good Luck, Good Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Ringeisen View Post
                              For all those, who have never seen it, give Sword of the Valiant a go! It's not the greatest movie ever, but, it has that Cannon films type of low-budget charm to it. Also, it has Sean Connery and Miles 'O Keefe!
                              I've seen "Sword of the Valiant". Ator and James Bond in the same movie. Love it! I have no intention of watching "The Green Knight", though.

Comment

Working...
                              X