Amazon in talks to buy MGM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon in talks to buy MGM.

9 billion or so is apparently what it takes to get MGM to sail under Amazon's flag with talks reportedly running for a while now. First reaction was that it would be grand if MGMs library wound up streaming on Prime. Second thought was, what does MGM actually own these days? I feel like they've been broke so many times at this point that I wonder what assets they have left... Would they still have all their titles from the 40s and 50s? Or is Bond all that's left that's significant? I'm hearing they have 4500 titles so I guess there must be some great stuff in there.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

MGM own the remnants of Orion and Cannon, so there is that. I have heard though that Cannon is owned by Paramount for TV/Streaming though, so maybe MGM just owns the physical and theatrical rights?
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Everything MGM pre-1986 is with WB. As mentioned, MGM still has Orion and Cannon and AIP and United Artist

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
        Everything MGM pre-1986 is with WB.
        That's what I was thinking. MGM to Turner to WB. It's a hell of a collection WB must have. Do they make their classic movies availible on HBO Max (can't get ti here) or do they keep it to themselves?
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
          That's what I was thinking. MGM to Turner to WB. It's a hell of a collection WB must have. Do they make their classic movies availible on HBO Max (can't get ti here) or do they keep it to themselves?
          Some are up under the TCM section, but not nearly enough.

Comment

Looks like it is official.

https://www.axios.com/amazon-mgm-stu...872769347.html
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I guess it's good news for people who prefer streaming to collecting.
              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                I guess it's good news for people who prefer streaming to collecting.

Which is basically everybody. Personally I just want everything available all the time (not much to ask is it?) and this seems a step in the right direction. I'm hopeful on this one. Amazon strikes me as the sort of business that will just dump all the product it owns on Prime rather than trying to piecemeal it out like other companies.

And hey!
                "The real financial value behind this deal is the treasure trove of IP in the deep catalog that we plan to reimagine and develop together with MGM's talented team," said Mike Hopkins, senior vice president of Prime Video.

Sounds like we've got a load of remakes, reimaginings and, cross your fingers kids, maybe even cinematic universes coming out of old ip. Woo!

Comment

There are still plenty of labels that have licensed out MGM titles, so those should still be happening. It is just a question of if Amazon will be willing to strike new deals and if they will be willing to renew deals with the various indie labels.

Someone mentioned something on twitter that made a lot of sense, the indie labels do pay for a lot of the new transfers for MGM's titles, so it really is in Amazon's best interest to keep the vault open and license titles to labels that will do new 2K/4k transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                    Which is basically everybody. Personally I just want everything available all the time (not much to ask is it?) and this seems a step in the right direction. I'm hopeful on this one. Amazon strikes me as the sort of business that will just dump all the product it owns on Prime rather than trying to piecemeal it out like other companies.

And hey!
                    "The real financial value behind this deal is the treasure trove of IP in the deep catalog that we plan to reimagine and develop together with MGM's talented team," said Mike Hopkins, senior vice president of Prime Video.

Sounds like we've got a load of remakes, reimaginings and, cross your fingers kids, maybe even cinematic universes coming out of old ip. Woo!
                    Yeah they did this for all the IP. I get that everything is moving towards streaming already but Amazon started by selling books and dvds. I hope they still see some value in hard media.

This also means they just bought THE APPRENTICE and all the tapes that go with that. Maybe some good will come out of this.
                    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      Yeah they did this for all the IP. I get that everything is moving towards streaming already but Amazon started by selling books and dvds. I hope they still see some value in hard media.
                      I believe Amazon still releases all their original series on DVD so I'm I don't think they have anything against physical media.

Comment

That's good to know. I honestly had no idea one way or the other.
                        "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

"Basically everybody"

Philistines.
                          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                            "Basically everybody"

Philistines.
                            As the saying goes, quoted for Truth.

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                              "Basically everybody"

Philistines.
                              Evolved.

Comment

Working...
                              X