Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Cronenberg's Crimes Of The Future

Source.

"Having not directed a film since 2014's Maps to the Stars, we've been patiently awaiting the return of Canadian master David Cronenberg. Viggo Mortensen finally let slip earlier this year that he was reuniting with his Eastern Promises and A History of Violence director for a new film this summer—a “strange film noir story” that will find him going back to his origins. Now, the first official details have arrived.

Cronenberg is confirmed to be headed to Greece this summer to shoot a sci-fi film with the title of Crimes of the Future, reports KFTV (via Screen Daily). Fans of the director's early work will of course recognize it is the same title as one of his first films, made in 1970 and set in 1997, following a mad dermatologist who searches for his mentor after a cosmetic invention gone wrong kills the entire population of sexually mature women."

More at the link.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

About friggin' time!
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Full cast: Viggo Mortensen, Léa Seydoux, Kristen Stewart, Scott Speedman, Welket Bungué, Don McKellar and Lihi Kornowski.

And as for the plot:

“Saul Tenser is a beloved performance artist who has embraced Accelerated Evolution Syndrome, sprouting new and unexpected organs in his body. Along with his partner Caprice, Tenser has turned the removal of these organs into a spectacle for his loyal followers to marvel at in real time theatre. But with both the government and a strange subculture taking note, Tenser is forced to consider what would be his most shocking performance of all.”
      So, while this project may share its title with an early short film from Cronenberg, it looks to actually be the resurrection of a film he originally was set to direct in 2002 with Nicholas Cage starring as Saul Tenser, a film that at that time carried the title PAINKILLERS.

Here's a YouTube video reviewing the script for that project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIOU0F6wx_o

https://deadline.com/2021/04/kristen...ce-1234746630/

Comment

Originally posted by Zaibatan View Post
        Full cast: Viggo Mortensen, Léa Seydoux, Kristen Stewart, Scott Speedman, Welket Bungué, Don McKellar and Lihi Kornowski.

And as for the plot:

So, while this project may share its title with an early short film from Cronenberg, it looks to actually be the resurrection of a film he originally was set to direct in 2002 with Nicholas Cage starring as Saul Tenser, a film that at that time carried the title PAINKILLERS.

Here's a YouTube video reviewing the script for that project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIOU0F6wx_o

https://deadline.com/2021/04/kristen...ce-1234746630/
        I recall Cronenberg saying years ago that he lost interest in that project and didn't complete the script. Always sounded great to me.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
          I recall Cronenberg saying years ago that he lost interest in that project and didn't complete the script.
          His reason for dropping the project at the time was that he didn't want to repeat himself and had other interests now. Maybe he feels like returning to his roots now, after having directed a number of non-horror features? Or maybe he watched his son's films and told him to hold his beer!

As for the script, he definitely completed it in 2002. I read it. The 2002 draft, that is, not the version he's filming now. Could have changed significantly but the summary from the Deadline article fits 100%.

Comment

Here's the poster art that's on display at Cannes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FQGBGG5WYAsvjw4.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	390949
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Can't believe how fortunate we are to get a new Cronenberg flick.
              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I've waited 20 years for this film to come out and I still can't believe it's actually about to premiere. To say I'm excited about finally getting to see it is the definition of "understatement". I haven't been to a cinema or a festival screening since the pandemic hit but nothing will stop me from seeing this one as soon as possible.

Comment

That's a supercool poster. I'm also hearing that Cannes 2022 will also be playing host to a new Lynch film that was shot up in Twin Peaks country. Hyped for that too. Bit sad that the films I look forward to most these days are directed by guys who peaked in the 80s and 90s but there you go.
                  "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                    I'm also hearing that Cannes 2022 will also be playing host to a new Lynch film that was shot up in Twin Peaks country. Hyped for that too.
                    Balls. The word from the man himself: I have no new film coming out. That's a total rumor. So there you are. It is not happening. I don't have a project. I have nothing at Cannes. It's unfortunate. It got built up that people thought, "Oh, that'd be nice." But there is something new, but it's not mine. I don't know whose it is. They say there's something new at Cannes, and they don't say whose it is, and some people thought it was my film, but it's not. So we'll wait and see, and see whose it is.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Teaser looks good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVX7df79BNo

But then again, so did the trailer for Existenz.

Comment

looks good! he and his son should team up to release the ultimate body horror nightmare before the machines will finally take over.

Comment

That's a very intimidating trailer. Doesn't really mesh with the poster image. I think I'd rather watch the movie the poster is advertising.

Comment

New international trailer has a bit more footage in it.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'll see it, it's a Cronenberg after all, but I'm not sure I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X