No announcement yet.

The Neo-Noir Thread - 1980s/1990s Neo-Noir Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

miami blues is one of my favs too! hilarious performance by baldwin. for a while I thought this is not actually alec baldwin but one of his brothers we didn't heard of yet.

anybody familar with sister, sister (1987)? any good?

Comment

I haven't seen SISTER, SISTER but I recently bought the DVD.
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	neo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	359617
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]26632[/ATTACH]
          Great news! I've been hoping for quite a while that TCM would utilize Muller more. He's always interesting and well informed when discussing film (and not just classic noir).
          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by killer must kill again View Post
            miami blues is one of my favs too! hilarious performance by baldwin. for a while I thought this is not actually alec baldwin but one of his brothers we didn't heard of yet.

anybody familar with sister, sister (1987)? any good?
            I've not seen SISTER, SISTER but will track it down asap.

Last night I revisited Hal Ashby's EIGHT MILLION WAYS TO DIE. There's so much I like in this film (eg, Andy Garcia's monologue about Gaudi) but it doesn't hold together. I love the novel on which it's based, so the disappointment in this film hits hard every time I revisit it - but I keep on returning to it, hoping that it will 'click'. A film of moments that don't congeal.

Tonight, I rewatched Robinson Devor's THE WOMAN CHASER from 1999, an adaptation of one of my fave Charles Willeford novels. It's as playful and mischevious as I recalled it to be. Patrick Warburton is delightful. Such a good little picture.

At the weekend, I watched the new Synapse Blu-ray release of Josh Becker's RUNNING TIME. A great film, imo, and I've no doubt this will be one of my favourite home video releases of the year.

'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Off topic for this great thread, but í  propos MIAMI BLUES, the 2019 adaptation of Charles Willeford's THE BURNT ORANGE HERESY is pretty spectacular. It's everything I never realized I wanted in a Willeford/Highsmith slash fiction.

Please return now to the last days of the twentieth century, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                At the weekend, I watched the new Synapse Blu-ray release of Josh Becker's RUNNING TIME. A great film, imo, and I've no doubt this will be one of my favourite home video releases of the year.

I only heard of Running Time last year when they announced the Blu-Ray. Was it ever released on vhs here in the U.K? I can't remember it getting much exposure in the late '90's. Anyway, it looks like something I'd get a kick out of. Is it worth me dropping £20 to import the disc? Campbell's commentaries are always invariably worth the price anyway!

Comment

Double Post
                  Paul L
                  Scholar of Sleaze
                  Last edited by Paul L; 04-14-2021, 06:23 AM.
                  'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

Originally posted by Barry M View Post
                    Off topic for this great thread, but í  propos MIAMI BLUES, the 2019 adaptation of Charles Willeford's THE BURNT ORANGE HERESY is pretty spectacular. It's everything I never realized I wanted in a Willeford/Highsmith slash fiction.

I just rented this last night and hope to watch it at the weekend. Love the novel.
                    Originally posted by Mr. Deltoid View Post
                    I only heard of Running Time last year when they announced the Blu-Ray. Was it ever released on vhs here in the U.K? I can't remember it getting much exposure in the late '90's. Anyway, it looks like something I'd get a kick out of. Is it worth me dropping £20 to import the disc? Campbell's commentaries are always invariably worth the price anyway!
                    I don't think it ever got any kind of release over here until it was included as an extra in the Book of the Dead DVD release of THE EVIL DEAD. I love it and think it's a great little film. The Synapse release is superb. This will easily be one of my favourite releases of the year, and is definitely worth £20 (imo).

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                      I just rented this last night and hope to watch it at the weekend. Love the novel.

I don't think it ever got any kind of release over here until it was included as an extra in the Book of the Dead DVD release of THE EVIL DEAD. I love it and think it's a great little film. The Synapse release is superb. This will easily be one of my favourite releases of the year, and is definitely worth £20 (imo).
                      Ahh, go on then, you've twisted my arm! Just have to wait 'til payday now!

Comment

Well, you certainly had me hooked with Willeford/Highsmith. Two of my all-time favorite writers - Highsmith being number one. I loved the book so will track this down toot sweet.
                        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Thank You for the recommendation. I watched the movie last night with my son and enjoyed it. (And) Andrew, you spoke well of the book, I'll get a copy of that also.
                          George Barry
                          Last edited by George Barry; 04-17-2021, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by George Barry View Post
                            Thank You for the recommendation. I watched the movie last night with my son and enjoyed it. (And) Andrew, you spoke well of the book, I'll get a copy of that also.
                            I'll second Andrew's praise for the book, George. It's a characteristically excellent novel by Willeford.

I rewatched Robinson Devor's 1999 adaptation of Willeford's THE WOMAN CHASER earlier in the week, and by God, that's a good film. In fact, I'd forgotten how good it is. Very faithful to the novel, which is a plus as the novel is very cinematic anyway. Patrick Warburton's performance is a delight - comic, tragic, hateful all in one: everything you need from a Willeford protagonist. And the monochrome photography is beautiful.

Comment

I also checked out the Burnt Orange Herecy. (Released here as Picture of Lies for some reason)

Quite a nice thriller and Donald Sutherland is as always a highlight in any film.
                              "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                                I also checked out the Burnt Orange Herecy. (Released here as Picture of Lies for some reason)

Quite a nice thriller and Donald Sutherland is as always a highlight in any film.
                                Watched the new adaptation of THE BURNT ORANGE HERESY tonight and loved it. It's been a long time since I read the novel, but IIRC this film adaptation takes a fair few liberties with the source material - but weaves its own spell. I thought it was excellent, and think I'll need to watch it again soon in order to mull it over properly.

Comment

Working...
                                X