Best Films of 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Films of 2020

Feel this is going to be a short list. It's a shame because 2019 was surprisingly good. Parasite was probably the film of the millenium so far. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was a lot of fun. There were even a few decent minor films like The Gentlemen.

Nothing majors crossed my radar this year though. Bill and Ted was far better than it had any right to be. And there was also- actually I'm coming up short on an 'also'. What did I miss?
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

I usually have a couple of dozen contenders by now. But, this year....I probably won't have any kind of real list until March!

Comment

I think I've literally watched two 2020 films

Comment

Does THE HUNT count, since it was supposed to be released in 2019 but got pushed back to this year for various reasons? Loved that one.
        VHS will never die!

Comment

I'M THINKING OF ENDING THINGS and POSSESSOR were my two favourite films released this year.

There were a bunch of 2019 films I enjoyed that were only released wide this year:

The Art of Self-Defense
          Come to Daddy
          The Nightingale (this was 2018, but only played festivals until the Blu-ray debut this year)
          Color Out of Space
          In Fabric
          The Lodge
          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post

There were a bunch of 2019 films I enjoyed that were only released wide this year:s year)
            Color Out of Space

COLOR OUT OF SPACE was officially a 2020 film. Don't go by imdb. They go by first festival showing and not theatrical release date.
            JoeS
            Last edited by JoeS; 12-20-2020, 04:09 AM.

Comment

My best film for 2020 is a film not well liked here, TENET. I thought it was a brilliant film.

Other films I saw this year that would make my list are in no particular order:

FIRST LOVE, THE COLOR OUT OF SPACE, NIGHTINGALE, IN FABRIC and THE WITCH-SUBVERSION.

Comment

I can only think of one movie this year that I truly enjoyed. Black Bear was kinda interesting.
                https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

Can't say i've seen more then 16 featurefilms from the year. I'm usually having a catch up on hyped/intresting etc movies at the end of the year, but this year doesn't seem to have to much to catch up on.

1 standout movie: There is No Evil

2 that are recommended (but not really toplist material): Peninsula, Mother (マザー)

Comment

Michael Almereyda's TESLA. Fucking phenomenal. Thoughtful and dryly funny, well-shot, with great mise-en-scene. Seeing Ethan Hawke sing 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World' in character as Nikola Tesla was a cinematic highlight of the past few years.
                    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                      Michael Almereyda's TESLA. Fucking phenomenal. Thoughtful and dryly funny, well-shot, with great mise-en-scene. Seeing Ethan Hawke sing 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World' in character as Nikola Tesla was a cinematic highlight of the past few years.
                      I didn't know Almereyda directed it. His films are always interesting. Thanks for the recommendation, Paul.

Comment

I didn't know Almereyda directed it. His films are always interesting. Thanks for the recommendation, Paul.
                        I really liked it, Matt. If you're a fan of Almereyda's other films, I can recommend this without hesitation.
                        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Watched another contender for best of 2020, THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME. It's an epic, extremely violent Southern gothic that takes place during the '50s and '60s. It has a lot of good actors, including two of my favourite young actors, Robert Pattinson and Riley Keough. It reminded me of a Coen Bros. film, only without the humour. Wish I could've seen it in a theater, but it's a Netflix original film, so it's easy to see. Highly recommended.

Comment

Watched another contender for best of 2020, THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME. It's an epic, extremely violent Southern gothic that takes place during the '50s and '60s. It has a lot of good actors, including two of my favourite young actors, Robert Pattinson and Riley Keough. It reminded me of a Coen Bros. film, only without the humour. Wish I could've seen it in a theater, but it's a Netflix original film, so it's easy to see. Highly recommended.
                            Thanks for the heads up, I'll add it.

Comment

BLOODSHOT is the only 2020 film I've seen. It would have been cool if the trailer hadn't spoiled the twist.

Comment

Working...
                              X