No announcement yet.

How many Stooges are too many Stooges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chriszilla, I honestly don't remember which solo shorts are in the boxed set. Waiting for my new copy in the mail at present. God help me if I'm wrong, but I think the bonus material from the box did get issued separately for those who had been dutifully purchasing the smaller sets and then got fucked when you had to rebuy everything to get the bonus content.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      5 Stooges is too many Stooges. Numbers 1-4 were brilliant. When they got to Joe Besser he sucked the life out them. Stooge number 6 was a fraud without his own identity. I feel like there a lot of similarities between Stooges and later members of KISS. I think I would have enjoyed Besser more if he played with an Ankh on his face.

It never panned out passed the pilot, and they were geriatric by then, but I think Emil Sitka would have been a fine replacement for Larry. At least he was already a part of the larger team and new the beats (pun firmly intended). I never saw the modern movie reviewed on the front page. Dear Lord it looks horrible. A period piece autobiography type thing would be more appealing to me. Played straight but honest like Downey Jr in CHAPLIN. But I get that will never be a thing.
      I'm far from being a big Joe Besser fan, but saying it was HIM that sucked the life out of the Stooges, and failing to acknowledge Moe and Larry's ages, the creative and financial apathy on the part of Columbia, the recycled gags, etc. etc. is clearly not seeing the whole picture. As much as I love Shemp, it's hard not to notice the steep decline in the quality of the shorts toward the end of his tenure. They had a hell of a run, lasting DECADES, and all things must come to an end.

And even though I'm sure plenty of people would agree with you on your Curly Joe/KISS take, I disagree. The choices for the performer are to carry on, or hang it up. An entire generation became aware of the Stooges (and acquired a knowledge and passion for the classic material) based on seeing the latter-day Stooges on TV or at the movies. Likewise, an entire generation would have never gotten to experience a KISS concert had Paul and Gene hung it up in 2000 (and I realize you can make a compelling case that maybe they should have!). More folks getting a chance to experience something is a good thing, not a bad one. And it only increases the awareness and appreciation of the "classic" era. Obviously we're all free to sit out the later incarnation of an entertainer's career if it isn't to our liking. I know I certainly have with many a musician, actor or director. But if they want to continue to perform, and there's people willing to support them, more power to 'em...

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
        Chriszilla, I honestly don't remember which solo shorts are in the boxed set. Waiting for my new copy in the mail at present. God help me if I'm wrong, but I think the bonus material from the box did get issued separately for those who had been dutifully purchasing the smaller sets and then got fucked when you had to rebuy everything to get the bonus content.
        Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look into that. Please share your reviews after you've seen some of this stuff. I'm definitely curious about those Shemp Vitaphone shorts.

Comment

First thing I will watch is SOUP TO NUTS. (Never seen.) Then I will most likely take a second stab at the early color shorts, which I remember being execrable.

Edit: I think this would be the thing to get if you already have the individual chronological releases and want the solo stuff without buying the boxed set. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges...ies-tv&sr=1-58
          Marshall Crist
          Last edited by Marshall Crist; 06-04-2020, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Definitely can't go wrong at that price. I rarely buy DVDs anymore, but this is worthwhile. :up:

Comment

Originally posted by chriszilla View Post
              I'm far from being a big Joe Besser fan, but saying it was HIM that sucked the life out of the Stooges, and failing to acknowledge Moe and Larry's ages, the creative and financial apathy on the part of Columbia, the recycled gags, etc. etc. is clearly not seeing the whole picture. As much as I love Shemp, it's hard not to notice the steep decline in the quality of the shorts toward the end of his tenure. They had a hell of a run, lasting DECADES, and all things must come to an end.

And even though I'm sure plenty of people would agree with you on your Curly Joe/KISS take, I disagree. The choices for the performer are to carry on, or hang it up. An entire generation became aware of the Stooges (and acquired a knowledge and passion for the classic material) based on seeing the latter-day Stooges on TV or at the movies. Likewise, an entire generation would have never gotten to experience a KISS concert had Paul and Gene hung it up in 2000 (and I realize you can make a compelling case that maybe they should have!). More folks getting a chance to experience something is a good thing, not a bad one. And it only increases the awareness and appreciation of the "classic" era. Obviously we're all free to sit out the later incarnation of an entertainer's career if it isn't to our liking. I know I certainly have with many a musician, actor or director. But if they want to continue to perform, and there's people willing to support them, more power to 'em...
              Yikes. I did acknowledge that:

As much as I like Shemp they already started showing their age by that time he re-joined and scripts and gags were already starting to get recycled. It can get a little tedious if you watched a bunch of them in a row. Obviously everyone's mileage may vary.
              The rest is my opinion. Besser and DeRita stink. I don't care that it kept them viable as a brand. The cartoons stink too. That modern movie may have turned some kids onto the Stooges but that in itself doesn't give it worth.
              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I like Joe Besser. The Stooges may not have been his best vehicle. Not trying to win anyone over.

Comment

The rest is my opinion. Besser and DeRita stink. I don't care that it kept them viable as a brand. The cartoons stink too. That modern movie may have turned some kids onto the Stooges but that in itself doesn't give it worth.
                  For the record, I was not referring to the modern day movie, as I have not seen it. I was referring to the 1960's, when they experienced a resurgence in popularity. I know people who were kids in that era who became fans of the Stooges during the Curly Joe years, which in turn led to them becoming huge fans of Curly, Shemp, and the "classic era" Stooges. Not to mention other classic comedy teams, as well.

My bad for failing to acknowledge your other comment about the latter Shemp years. I was following a train of thought while I was replying, and kinda strayed a bit!

Obviously, all of this stuff is just our opinions. I just reject the notion that because I myself may no longer recognize the merit in an artist's work, they should "just do us all a favor" and hang it up, so we don't have to be subjected to (what we feel is) sub-par work. The paying audience, and the desire of the performer to continue, can make that decision on their own. Hopefully that makes sense...

Comment

As a kid I always found the Joe Besser works to be an interesting rarity whenever they popped up. Now I like them less for being so kid friendly, much like the features that came afterwards, and the cartoons and comics. There's a manic randiness to the Curly and Shemp shorts that is missing from the later works that leaves it feeling neutered. I like my Stooges angry and horny.
                    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Thank you eveyone. After all these years I now get the joke in Spinal Tap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BCrNInoT_400x400.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	358389
                      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I liked the ones with Iggy.

Actually, as a kid I loved them. Now, not so much. Guess I watched them too many times and they got stale.
                        "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Working...
                        X