No announcement yet.

Comedy: The Forgotten Genre!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on Sunday. That movie's great.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Casey View Post
      UHF has always cracked me up.
      I was lucky enough to see it in the theater as a kid and the scene with Emo cutting himself has been eternally scarred into my brain ever since.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        I was lucky enough to see it in the theater as a kid and the scene with Emo cutting himself has been eternally scarred into my brain ever since.
        Now lots of emos cut themselves.

Comment

One movie I forgot to mention is BOWFINGER. Steve and Eddie cracked me up!
          "Look out! Don't step on it-it may be Lon Chaney!"

Comment

"Hey Laker girls..." (flashes them and they laugh) "It's not funny!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Jordan View Post
              "Hey Laker girls..." (flashes them and they laugh) "It's not funny!!"
              "Think of this as an errand. Your errand is to run across the freeway
              until I yell "cut".
              "Look out! Don't step on it-it may be Lon Chaney!"

Comment

Btw, does anyone remember much of the Mel Brooks movies? I've never seen Young Frankenstein (the shame!), but I recall being very amsued with High Anxiety and History of the World Part 1. There's a boxset out in the UK with the majority of films he made for 20th Century Fox, and it's cheap as chips. Funny thing about me and Jewish humour is, for years and years I've somehow managed to watch a lot of Jewish comedians, but it was only recently that I realised (after years at laughing at it all) that I don't really get it as much as I thought I did...

Comment

I've got the Fox RA Blu-ray set and it's pretty great. Can't argue with that price but it's missing Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs...? Lesser Brooks in that set but probably worth it at the price.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm guessing that's because Blazing Saddles was produced for Warner Brothers, and Spaceballs belonged to MGM... ;)

(But you can get Saddles on BD out of the UK for around $7 or $8AUD)

Comment

Must be a weird international rights thing then because both are in the Fox RA release.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                        Must be a weird international rights thing then because both are in the Fox RA release.
                        Spaceballs shouldn't have been a problem, as Fox distribute MGM -- but I'd say their was a licensing agreement between Warner and Fox to include Saddles in the US as it was produced by Warner and is held globally by them. I'd say the lack of the two titles in the UK DVD boxset would be down to no such agreement on Saddles for the UK, and the fact that MGM was distributed by Sony for a contracted period in the UK, Europe and Asia-Pacific (rights are back to Fox again now after they resolved the bankruptcy issue). So, essentially, maybe it was a weird US rights thing...hehehe ;)

Anyway, as the idea's just to revisit these things for a lark, DVD will do me fine as I could never imagine forking out BD money on films I only ever "liked" in the first place (and as we know, BD blind-buys for me are only ever done under sale conditions where I'm picking up Blu for DVD prices). I shall look at this one in the near future...

Comment

It just seems odd to me that Warner would work with them for a US deal on that title but not cover international territories. But yeah if you don't care about BD for those titles, that set is cheap enough. If you get a region free BD player down the road and decide you want to upgrade then, I'm sure it'll still be in print. It comes in a gorgeous hardcover book too, like the POTA set.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Mike's rule of thumb for DVD vs. BD purchases: if it's something I really want to upgrade from SD, or I think the film will really benefit from HD = BD. If I just want to see the film and am not too fussed either way (with a low price-point being a driving point) = DVD. At this stage of the game, I presonally don't see any necessity to have everything on BD.

Per: Warner - don't forget that out here in the rest of the world the first Friday the 13th is on the Warner label, not Paramount. Pretty much everywhere except the US, it's a Warner title. So domestic licensing arrangements don't always dictate global distribution. Also, my Planet of the Apes set (UK version) will be in a custom Amaray; which suits me fine for shelf purposes as fancy packaging is useless to me. If I want something that won't store with everything else, or will attract my boy's attention to demolish, then I'd be concerned -- but I like my DVD/BDs to stay intact and live through at least their first couple of years.

Comment

Twitch posted the trailer for Tim And Eric's Billion Dollar Movie.

I'm game, but will it do better than the ATHF movie?
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Along the same lines as The Hangover... Did anyone see Horrible Bosses? I thought that was great. And the wife talked me into watching Bridesmaids, which I thought was going to be a crappy chick comedy, plus I'm not a fan of Maya Rudolf or Kristen Wiig (or any of the current SNL cast members...) but that turned out to be very funny IMO, aside from a tiny romantic subplot.

Comment

Working...
                                X