No announcement yet.

Comedy: The Forgotten Genre!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Big Lebowski should be on my list too. That movie is one of my favorite comedies. "Nobody fucks with The Jesus."

Comment

Really? Man, that movie did nothing for me. I thought it worked as a non-comedy with an ok laugh or two. It does make me want white russians, though. Those are pretty rad.

Comment

YEah they are. So are black russians. Yeah I love that movie. I really do. Lots of great characters, great acting, and creacks me up everytime I see it. Have you watched it just once? Maybe you should give it another try.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Jordan View Post
          YEah they are. So are black russians. Yeah I love that movie. I really do. Lots of great characters, great acting, and creacks me up everytime I see it. Have you watched it just once? Maybe you should give it another try.
          Yeah, only once. Plus, everyone I was with had seen it a few times and was laughing at a ton of parts that I didn't think were funny. Probably soured it for me.

Comment

That's what happened to me watching "OLD SCHOOL". The gang I was watching it with, were laughing and claiming that this movie was hilarious. I was happy for them, but I couldn't get into it.
            "Look out! Don't step on it-it may be Lon Chaney!"

Comment

It can also have the opposite effect. Something I think is a riot and no one else does sometimes ruins the experience. I showed Black Dynamite to a couple of friends and they didn't think it was funny. They didn't get the humor. Dinks.

Comment

Tell me about it. My wife can't fathom why I enjoy "CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM". She finds Larry's paranoia to be quite disturbing. I tell her that's the whole point. So when it comes to that show, I sit laughing alone. :)
                Charlie G
                Last edited by Charlie G; 07-13-2011, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Curb Your Enthusiasm is probably the funniest thing I've ever seen. Larry David cracks me up in a big way.

My problem with comedy, though I have enjoyed most of the films on the list here, is that I'm rarely in the mood for it. And when i'm not in the mood for comedy, I don't laugh. And if you're not laughing, what's the point? I am rarely in a "good" mood. It sucks, but it does ruin a lot of comedy flicks for me.

that being said, I watched Planes, Trains and Automobiles with my kid last night. John Candy=funny. A lot of the stuff that he was in, like the Great Outdoors, Summer Rental, Volunteers....I remember laughing at all of those. CADDYSHACK is another one that usually makes me laugh, and the first Vacation movie on occasion.

Big Lebowski...there were some parts that I kinda chuckled at, but I definitely wasn't as blown away by it as most people were.

I laughed at The Hangover a lot.

Comment

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a funny movie. The scene where Steve Martin has an epiphany of John Candy as the Devil, never fails to crack me up. I enjoyed The Hangover as well. How totally insane was the scene where Ken Jeong (completely nude) jumps out of the trunk of that car!!!! Kudos to John Lucas and Scott Moore.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                      Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a funny movie.
                      The scene where Martin loses his car and goes to the clerk to report it gone is permanently seared in my brain. And..."I slept with my hands between two pillows"

Hmmm, is starting to look like I might have to see The Hangover! Good word on it seems to be universal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike T View Post
                        And..."I slept with my hands between two pillows"
                        Hahahahaha...Hilarious!!

Comment

Another Steve Martin favourite of mine is Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Michael Caine is so wonderfully sleazy in that one and he and Martin work well together. "Not mother?"

Comment

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is a film I've never made an effort to see. I noticed the writers for My Cousin Vinny and Operation Petticoat are credited for this. MGM released an anamorphic DVD in 2001. Amazon is selling it for a low price too. Perhaps it's time to finally give it a look

Comment

USED CARS is hands down my favorite comedy

Comment

The first time I saw DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, I was high as a kite and had no clue what the hell was going on. Watched it straight, and yeah....it's friggin' hilarious. Michael Caine is great in it as well. Worth checking out, for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X