Comedy: The Forgotten Genre!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comedy: The Forgotten Genre!

Yo! We're a clever bunch, with a wide and varying taste in movies, and I thought it was time we discussed some of our favorite comedies! You don't see comedies win awards, get checked for great writing, noted for superb performances or pretty much anything really.

But comedy must be one of the hardest genres to work effectively in, as comedy's such a subjective thing (ie: while I think Monty Python's Life of Brian is hilarious, others might find it dumb and prefer There's Something about Mary). Making people laugh is a tough business! And, of course, comedy is so extremely regional and what might work for a British audience might not work for an American audience and vice versa and so on.

As for me? Well, some of the early to mid-period Mel Brooks stuff still works really well for me (though Jewish humour flies over my head on a lot of occasions...Aaron), the Python's always crack me up (that stemmed from swapping their albums on tape and vinyl in high school), the Carry On films make me feel warm and fuzzy any time I see one as do a lot of seventies British sex-comedies, and on the other end of the scale: some Ben Stiller stuff gives me a giggle, Jack Black is usually always welcome, the American Pies were great throwbacks to the Porky's movies and every now and then other little moments of hilarity pop up. Essentially, though, I connect far more with British humour as Oz used to be part of the British Commonwealth and a LOT of our pop culture drew from the UK.

On the other hand, I've always found Jim Carrey a bit hit and miss: good in the right vehicle, but way OTT in just about everything else (should I see I Love You Philip Morris? And I find gross-out humour ala the Farrelly Brothers just dumb.

That said: how are those Harold and Kumar movies? They look pretty funny. ;)

"Now...don't do it again!"

The first Harold and Kumar movie had a few moments but nothing that made me want to see the second one. For me, comedies have to have more than just a few ha-ha events to make me want to watch it again. There are not a lot in my collection, but I am partial to these:

Caddyshack
    Smokey and the Bandit (first only)
    Anchorman
    Tommy Boy
    Happy Gilmore
    Airplane
    Naked Gun
    Animal House
    Blues Brothers
    History of the World
    Coming To America

I'm sure there's more I just can't think of them right now. Most of the comedies I like are the unintentional ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Jordan View Post
      Caddyshack
      Smokey and the Bandit (first only)
      Anchorman
      Happy Gilmore
      Airplane
      Naked Gun
      Animal House
      Blues Brothers
      History of the World
      Classics, one and all! So thrilled that The Blues Brothers will be out on Blu shortly (I have actually held off on buying it until I heard news of a BD)!

Very much agreed on the "haha" thing. I've always found that the comedies I enjoyed the most were the ones that were consistently funny from beginning to end. There were, IMO, way too many eighties comedies that got going so well and then decided they wanted to be serious come the last act. What's it all about, Alfie?

Comment

These days I find television is much more consistent at pulling off good comedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Roderick View Post
          These days I find television is much more consistent at pulling off good comedy.
          I'd actually go along with that statement! I'll probably get stoned for it, but The Big Bang Theory is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen from the US. Not so much because nerds are an easy target to make fun of, but because the personality types of the central guys in the show are so bang-on it's hilarious!

Comment

One of my favorite comedies is MAN OF THE CENTURY. However, if one is not familiar with the Silent era, this film may go way past heads regarding it's humor. Several friends of mine hate this movie and find it stupid. I understand that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but these people are not familiar with Silent films. In particular, the films of Harold Lloyd and I think, that's why, they don't get it. It's an amazing satire on past and present generations.

As far as television comedy, FAWLTY TOWERS is tops on my list.

Some films I'm partial to, some have been listed, so I'll exclude them....

Bringing up baby
            My Man Godfrey
            Bud Abbott and Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein
            The Odd Couple
            American Graffiti
            Ferris Bueller's Day Off
            Trading places
            Revenge of the nerds
            I'm Gonna Git You Sucka <------One of my guilty pleasures
            A Fish Called Wanda
            Major league
            A League of Their Own
            My Blue Heaven <-------another guilty pleasure
            Charlie G
            Last edited by Charlie G; 07-13-2011, 09:46 PM.
            "Look out! Don't step on it-it may be Lon Chaney!"

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
              The Odd Couple
              Is every body HAPPY??

Comment

Originally posted by Mike T View Post
                I'd actually go along with that statement! I'll probably get stoned for it, but The Big Bang Theory is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen from the US. Not so much because nerds are an easy target to make fun of, but because the personality types of the central guys in the show are so bang-on it's hilarious!
                Okay I was gonna make some suggestions but if this show is high on your list then I'd better stop right now...'cuz nothing's beating that high comedy bar. Who could possibly hope to do so?
                It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

Originally posted by Nolando View Post
                  Okay I was gonna make some suggestions but if this show is high on your list then I'd better stop right now...'cuz nothing's beating that high comedy bar. Who could possibly hope to do so?
                  Okay, so small things amuse small minds...bet you're regretting that friend request on FB after this and the Zack Snyder comment, hey? ;)

But seriously...fire away as I am open to everything. BBT is one of those "I'll watch it on the TV if it's on when I'm channel-surfing and get a laugh" shows. Otherwise, I don't go out of my way. My son doesn't miss dinner, bath or bed time if it's on the box, if that's what concerns you?

C'mon, I'm not allowed to like mainstream American crap? Everyone has a few skeletons in their closets as to what entertains them -- we can't all watch hoity-toity holier than thou vessels of utter mind-dissolving genius all the time. I just don't care, nor am embarrassed, about airing my guilty pleasures, that's all. No skin off my nose if you don't like something I do; I'm not like some folks, y'know...
                  Last edited by Mike T; 07-11-2011, 11:13 PM. Reason: can't be that naughty...

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                    As far as television comedy, FAWLTY TOWERS is tops on my list.
                    Quite possibly one of my favourite British TV comedies, ever! Thanks for reminding me that I really need to buy the remastered boxset out of the UK. :)

So...I'm guessing there's no love for the Confessions or Adventures series, when it comes to British sex-farces, then?

Comment

I like the CONFESSIONS... and ADVENTURES... films, Mike. Admittedly, they're something of a guilty pleasure, but they characterise the bawdy seaside postcard type humour that was popular in the 1970s.

My favourite television sitcom is still either PORRIDGE or STEPTOE AND SON; I think we do that dry, tragic humour very well. Sadly, there are few UK sitcoms (with the exception of PEEP SHOW and THE I.T. CROWD, I guess) that are in that vein. Most UK sitcoms seem to model themselves on US sitcoms nowadays. One of the best UK sitcoms from the past ten years, which may have slipped under many people's radar as it had a very low-key airing in the UK and I'm not sure it's even been shown outside Britain, was Sean Locke's 15 STOREYS HIGH. Some clips for your delectation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG3p5KHySMg
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-WGGupQ8ng
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih-hhxM3RR8
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQJIu5qgEEY

In terms of American comedy, I'm a huge fan of Richard Pryor. The man was a genius.
                      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                        I like the CONFESSIONS... and ADVENTURES... films, Mike. Admittedly, they're something of a guilty pleasure, but they characterise the bawdy seaside postcard type humour that was popular in the 1970s.
                        I guess that's why they worked so well for me. A lot of that "bawdy seaside postcard" stuff carried over into Australian culture as well. When I was a lad, and growing up, it was pretty common to go to strip clubs, clubs/bars to run wet t-shirt comps, skin mags to be sold openly everywhere (even servos), and that general larrikin Aussie sensibility to prevail. So those films were run-ons from that. It's a bit an era I miss, actually, as everything's become so conservative and PC these days it's almost like nobody knows how to have fun, or laugh at themselves, anymore. But anyway, that's just my two cents...and probably worthless in the grander scheme of things...

Oh...I used to be a big fan of Comic Strip, Ab Fab and Lenny Henry once too... ;)

Comment

What's Up Doc?
                          The Jerk
                          Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
                          The Pink Panther Strikes Again
                          The Man With Two Brains
                          Raising Arizona
                          The Big Lebowski
                          A Serious Man
                          Pee Wee's Big Adventure
                          The Blues Brothers
                          Animal House
                          Barfly
                          The Doors
                          Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai
                          Cabin Boy
                          Wonder Boys
                          Hot Shots!
                          Anchorman
                          Spinal Tap

I know I'm skipping something important....hmmmm...

Comment

The Doors?

Comment

Originally posted by paul h. View Post
                              The Jerk
                              Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
                              The Man With Two Brains
                              The Big Lebowski
                              The Blues Brothers
                              Animal House
                              Hot Shots!
                              Anchorman
                              Spinal Tap
                              There's some good stuff, right there. No love for The Lonely Guy? Actually, The Big Lebowski turned out to be one of the consistently funnier things I've seen of late. Might even upgrade to BD on that one, as that's how impressed I was with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X