Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the first movie that had part 2 in the title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the first movie that had part 2 in the title?

This little factoid always annoyed me but it leaves me genuinely stumped. Coppola said that Godfather part 2 was the first movie called part 2. He's not saying it was the first sequel but the first movie to have Part 2 and so on in the title. And I honestly can't think of anything called part 2 and so on before Godfather 2. At least a mainstream movie. There must be something obscure called part 2.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Fun question...

I tried the IMDB and found that:

Actually "Deep Throat Part II" was released in February 1974 and that was some months before "The Goodfather Part II".

In Germany we had "Schulmí¤dchen-Report 2. Teil" in 1971. And there's the Swedish "I, a Woman, Part II" from 1968, which was released in 1969 in the US.

Comment

Ivan the Terrible Part 2? It was 15 years after the first so not just a movie chopped in two. That would be an English re-titling though, not sure what the Russian title was.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
        Ivan the Terrible Part 2? It was 15 years after the first so not just a movie chopped in two. That would be an English re-titling though, not sure what the Russian title was.
        Good call there. IVAN THE TERRIBLE, Skaz vtoroy. Vtory translated as 'second'. Skaz translates roughly as "tale", so a more strict translation of the title would be IVAN THE TERRIBLE, Second Tale.
        JoeS
        Last edited by JoeS; 03-05-2020, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Hi folks - long-time listener, first-time caller here, but I just couldn't resist the urge to pop in and mention that Hammer released 'Quatermass 2' (U.S. title: 'Enemy From Space') in May 1957.

I think that beats Ivan Part II, but not 100% sure...?
          https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
          http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post
            Hi folks - long-time listener, first-time caller here, but I just couldn't resist the urge to pop in and mention that Hammer released 'Quatermass 2' (U.S. title: 'Enemy From Space') in May 1957.

I think that beats Ivan Part II, but not 100% sure...?
            Technically, yes. But, IVAN II was shot around 1944. It was banned and not released until 1958. Production began on Part III but after Part Deux was banned, filming was stopped and the footage apparently destroyed.

Comment

Working...
            X