Movies That Impacted Mass Behavior...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies That Impacted Mass Behavior...

We were talking the other night about movies like Jaws which decreased beach populations the summer it came out and Death Wish which drastically cut the crime rate. It's interesting how movies can affect large amounts of people this way.

Any others you can think of?
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

You're talking about on a societal level, right? Not like Rocky Horror and it's crowd? How about Harry Potter influencing a generation that grew up with the series to no longer consider kids into wizards and magic dorks?

I've read accounts of people being scared to go in the shower after Psycho but I don't know that this was necessarily on a huge scale.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
      You're talking about on a societal level, right?
      Right, films that influenced people in their day to day life.
      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

I think The Exorcist put a lot of people off of ouija boards.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It Happened One Night - after seeing Clark Gable sporting a wifebeater tee in that sales of that undergarment went through the roof.
          It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

Psycho - after my grandmother saw it she never took a shower again (thankfully, she did take baths, tho').

Comment

Deliverance. Since that movie I haven't been able to rape city folk.

Actually the Omen. How many people do you know that have named their kid that in this country since then?

Comment

And I'll 2nd that thing about Jaws - one of my regrets is that I never got to punch Peter Benchley in the face...

Oh - not widespread but a good buddy of mine when I was a kid wouldn't flush the toilet when he stayed over 'cuz he thought our place looked like the Amityville House.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd J View Post
                  Actually the Omen. How many people do you know that have named their kid that in this country since then?
                  Were there a lot of kids named Omen before that? ;)

My son's middle name is Damian. :D
                  Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

"Psycho" is also responsible for changing people's movie-going behavior. It was one of the first films that wouldn't let anyone come in after it started. The idea of showing up quite a while before a movie started and lining up to get in really kind of starts here.

Comment

They should start doing that again...
                      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Working...
                      X