No announcement yet.

Top Gun: Maverick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People were chomping at the bit to see this released all through the pandemic. That was because Tom Cruise was making an airplane movie? C'mon folks. You're being purposely blind here. The original Top Gun is a beloved signpost film from the 80s.
    I'm not saying it's a bad thing that folks are going nuts for a sequel that they enjoy, but this is fueled not by jet propellent - but, by nostalgia

Comment

Love the original and the latest film blew me away. Its perfect. Its better than I could have hoped and there isn't one thing I'd change. It doesn't take itself too seriously and it just pure adrenaline fueled entertainment. I've enjoyed a number of action films in the theater over the past decade, but this might be the best of them all. I really got the sense that the film was made with fans in mind and that deliberate care and respect was put into every frame.

Comment

It was tops. It gets a little cute with the way it wants to tick every major moment from the first film but that self awareness aside I thought it was great. It serves mostly as a reminder of how much better action movies used to be. You could say this is just an 80s action movie but to put it another way this is an 80s action movie! I have missed those.Fuck we even rewatched Tango and Cash (90s I know but close enough) the other night and as dire as that is it still trumps just about any modern action film.

I thought it had the edge on the original because there is a mission from the start. You know what they're training for and the movie just has more drive thanks to that. The last 25 minutes was great jet action movie stuff, if predictable. SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the last couple minutes we were sitting on the couch screaming "come on, where's Hangman" knowing he'd be coming into save the day at the last second. But you're not watching this movie for originality or surprises are you?
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeS View Post

Except the "plot" here is 90% looking backwards. The movie would have done less than half as well if it were an original story with characters we didn't know. Sure, the effects (and government footage and planes) look terrific, but, it's empty nostaligia.
          Late to the party here, but this was my take. I honestly don't know what the excitement was, here; I mean, I get the excitement leading up to the release, but this is nothing to me but hype for the 80's. Essentially, this film puts an egotistical "I'll get it done, no matter who gets hurt" guy front and centre again. Even having the aging lead take off his shirt during a volleyball game so that we can all see that age has not tamed him.

Maverick is still the best, no matter what his superiors say. He's so good, that they're making him train pilots to save the world, but, OH! Now he's LEADING them because he can fly the mission all by himself solo.

Can I say you can literally fly an F14 through these plot holes?

I mean, I didn't expect a masterpiece, but aside from loud planes and explosions, MAVERICK is the dangly silver balls from Cruise's inadequate pickup trailer hitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post

Maverick is still the best, no matter what his superiors say. He's so good, that they're making him train pilots to save the world, but, OH! Now he's LEADING them because he can fly the mission all by himself solo.
            The ridiculousness of this does rather leap off the screen. I imagine flying an f18 is a physically arduous job and yet the guy in his 60s is smashing all the 20 somethings. Imagine, for example, sticking a 60 year old guy in an F1 car and asking him to race Lewis Hamilton. It's not going to look good. Almost surprised the navy wanted to back this when the story is that their training is so poor now that almost-penisoners are better than their Top Guns and the best plane they can offer them is from 1995. Is the JSF that bad that they didn't want it featured?
            Last edited by Dom D; 10-06-2022, 04:17 PM.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Honestly, when the F14 part came, I was like, "Oh, they have a chance to do something really cool with this, let's see Maverick get in a retro dogfight with somebody who can best him; but really, that gets glossed over quickly, and it all comes back to Maverick and Goose 2.0.

Anyway, I didn't hate it. I didn't think it was good, even if it did have some good parts. But it's not the masterpiece that i've heard people raving about (and no, not just here).

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                Late to the party here, but this was my take. I honestly don't know what the excitement was, here; I mean, I get the excitement leading up to the release, but this is nothing to me but hype for the 80's. Essentially, this film puts an egotistical "I'll get it done, no matter who gets hurt" guy front and centre again. Even having the aging lead take off his shirt during a volleyball game so that we can all see that age has not tamed him.
                Can I say you can literally fly an F14 through these plot holes?
                I mean, I didn't expect a masterpiece, but aside from loud planes and explosions, MAVERICK is the dangly silver balls from Cruise's inadequate pickup trailer hitch.
                Thank you. Yeah, I still get how this is both the best reviewed AND most loved by the general public film of the year. The public, I can excuse, since there really haven't many mainstream biggies this year for competiition. But, critics?

My have standards been lowered.

Comment

I found the original film a big bore but I haven't seen it in decades. Heard good things about the new film but as I'm such a non-fan of the original not sure it will click for me.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't even like the original either so no desire to see this. I did meet a couple on the river who were raving that it was better than the original, so it definitely has it's fans. Never have warmed up to Tommy. TAPS and MINORITY REPORT are really all I can think of off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaghetti Monkey View Post
                      Yeah, I didn't even like the original either so no desire to see this. I did meet a couple on the river who were raving that it was better than the original, so it definitely has it's fans. Never have warmed up to Tommy. TAPS and MINORITY REPORT are really all I can think of off the top of my head.
                      I'd definitely say it was better than the original. As for Tommy. he's clearly one of the most insufferable human beings on the planet and yet.... this manic energy he has seems to drive his films to be better than the action films of others. I'd say the recent Mission Imposssible films were a big step above any other actions films from the 2000s. I thought Edge Of Tomorrow was excellent. Maverick was great. Different directors for all those films but even though he's not director I feel like there's a large whack of Tom's obsession for just doing it better that runs through all of them.

Also if we're talking best Cruise movies, Risky Business is absolutely now and forever number 1.

Comment

In all fairness, the last two movies I saw with him would've been MINORITY REPORT and TROPIC THUNDER (totally forgot about that one). And yeah, RISKY BUSINESS was definitely fun back in the day, haven't had the urge to revisit though.

Comment

Rumors of a third film...

https://www.gamesradar.com/top-gun-3...oseph-kosinski
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post

I'd definitely say it was better than the original. As for Tommy. he's clearly one of the most insufferable human beings on the planet and yet.... this manic energy he has seems to drive his films to be better than the action films of others. I'd say the recent Mission Imposssible films were a big step above any other actions films from the 2000s.

Yeah, the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE films are really fun. The last few in particular. I've often thought they are what the Craig Bond films should have been.
                            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post

Yeah, the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE films are really fun. The last few in particular. I've often thought they are what the Craig Bond films should have been.
                              I do love Craig's Bond films (well, some of them) but have to admit that I love the MI series, despite wanting to punch Tommy in his 3-teeth.

Comment

At a hospital yesterday, overheard proud new parents showing off their new baby boy Maverick. Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                                X