Ad Astra - Brad Pitt In Space!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ad Astra - Brad Pitt In Space!

Astronaut Roy McBride (Brad Pitt) travels to the outer edges of the solar system to find his missing father and unravel a mystery that threatens the survival of our planet. His journey will uncover secrets that challenge the nature of human existence and our place in the cosmos.

Director: James Gray
    Producers: Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, James Gray, Rodrigo Teixeira, Anthony Katagas
    Screenplay by: James Gray, Ethan Gross
    Cast: Brad Pitt, Tommy Lee Jones, Ruth Negga, Donald Sutherland

In Cinemas September 2019

Rock! Shock! Pop!

James Gray? Donald Sutherland (I thought he was dead already)? Tommy Lee Jones? Fuck yeah! I'll be seeing this.

Comment

I'm in!
      Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

Comment

Ive never really been a fan of James Gray, as I consider almost all of his films a tad underwhelming or shall I say below what they should have been, but this looks intreaguing!

(I seem to have given them all a 6/10 on IMDB except The Immigrant which I gave a 5/10)
        The Silly Swede
        Last edited by The Silly Swede; 06-08-2019, 11:35 AM.
        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

I saw this last night. Can't remember the last time I've been so torn about a movie.

It's 75% beautiful, haunting, poetic, best space cinema in years.

And 25% Michael Bay action, as believable as Armageddon.

What on earth were they thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by Takuma View Post
            I saw this last night. Can't remember the last time I've been so torn about a movie.

It's 75% beautiful, haunting, poetic, best space cinema in years.

And 25% Michael Bay action, as believable as Armageddon.

What on earth were they thinking?
            They were probably thinking, "Let's make a film, say, like with the punch and the action of Armageddon, but with an interwoven personal story of family told in a haunting, poetic way."

Comment

I get what Director James Gray is going for, but, the combination of Brad Pitt's sullen narration (if a good overall performance) and a poorly thought out screenplay keeps it from reaching it's goals. Good Production Design and effects.
              When I say Bad Science, I mean REALLY Bad Science. The most glaring example is that the film depicts radio transmissions between distant planets like they are phone calls! Mere seconds insteads of the hours they would take.

Of course, AD ASTRA's Science Advisor sees things differently. As he calmly explains to our mere mortal minds:

Comment

I dig Gray, even his lesser films I find fascinating as he is such a classicist and can wring surprising depths from shopworn genre plotting.

Comment

Saw this. Kind of liked it. It had the look and feel of something really good, but sadly it was kind of dumb and empty. Still not a bad film at all, just not very fullfilling.
                  "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

In the Clockwork Orange thread I posited an idea that had no traction at all which is that good movies have themes and bad movies, the type that win Oscars, have A point. Ad Astra is a perfect example of the latter. Life is meaningless outside our connections with the other humans. Every moribund moment in this film is there to lead us to Pitt making that discovery.

Not a good movie in my book. It's largely plotless with only a very thin thread of story so I guess it's a character study? I don't buy the character. I don't think that dude exists anywhere so why study him? they really needed to use that de-aging tech on the videos of Tommy Lee Jones early in the film. Judging by those, by the time we meet Tommy in the latter stages of the film his character has to be 133. feels like a plot hole or maybe I just wasn't paying atention.

It looks nice.
                    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                    X