No announcement yet.

The Batman Movies Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I felt largely the same as you did, though I was definitely aware of how long it was. There were some scenes where they would pause for dramatic effect, and all I could think of was, "HURRY UP". Would have definitely liked to have seen more of Selina....she shows up at the beginning as an important character, and then fucks off for like 2 hours.

I liked the look of this as well, and thought Pattinson was great as Batman; but man, as emo Bruce Wayne, I didn't like him at all.

And that fucking Joker bit, come on. I haven't seen the deleted scene, so I guess I'll just be thankful haha.

Overall, I thought it was good, certainly better than Nolan's last crack at it.

Comment

I was really surprised to see this available for free on Crave. It's on VOD for $24.99 or free on Crave. How the hell did Crave get this so early?
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
        I was really surprised to see this available for free on Crave. It's on VOD for $24.99 or free on Crave. How the hell did Crave get this so early?
        Crave is basically the Canadian portal to HBONow these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post

Crave is basically the Canadian portal to HBONow these days.
          Yeah, it was an HBO Max release in the states, good news for Crave people.

Comment

This was better than I expected with more time spent on the mystery and puzzle aspect rather than endless action scenes.

I like Pattison but yeah his Wayne was far too morose but I assume/hope the way the film ends means he'll get to open up more emotionally in the next film.

It didn't drag for me despite its length and the romance worked imo. Nice to see a superhero film not shot like a flat TV show but it felt too dark visually in several early scenes, although this improved as the film progressed.

Comment

I have to admit, I am a LOT less interested in this one after hearing they plan on bringing in The Court of Owls in subsequent films. They've really come up with some stupid shit in the comics in the last 10-12 years, and that whole thing is on the list of dumb ideas for Batman.

Comment

This is pretty great.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb!

That was pretty great lol

Comment

WB has officially announced a sequel to The Batman.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-ba...-set-to-return
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      WB has officially announced a sequel to The Batman.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-ba...-set-to-return
                      I find this news to be quite shocking.

Comment

I surprised myself by really enjoying this one. I went in fully prepared to hate it. It's Batman at 3 hours long with not a hint of humour. Kill me now. Ultimately thought it was to 'men in tights' movies what 2001 was to 60s Scifi. There's a real auteur vision to this.

It's got to be, visually speaking, the darkest movie ever made. The first movie where you describe the colour scheme as amber and black. I don't really get the emo Bruce Wayne complaints. Bruce Wayne doesn't exist in this film. It's all Batman. I'd wager there's as much Batman footage in this as in any half dozen other Batman films. This does have the side effect of really drawing your attention to Batman as a geek in cosplay. Not sure if that's intentional but it kept hitting me in the face.

Stunned to be excited to see what they do next.
                        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

The credits were rolling as I typed that. Surprised to see the number of Film Australia and Film NSW logos. That looks dodgy! Now I need to look up what those are about.
                          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I thought this was pretty good and covers most of the things that got me wondering watching The Batman:

Comment

All in all I thought The Batman was okay. I dug the look of Pattinson in the cowl and the simple fact that you get a lot of Batman in costume doing Batman things.

That said, it irked me terribly that in the very first moment we see him in that costume the onscreen criminals also seeing him for the first time laugh at him. We'd just heard him in voiceover talking about how he's spent two years terrorizing Gotham's bad guys and how Gordon puts a warning beacon into the night sky to inspire fear....fear of The Batman...and we get a group of goons giggling, pointing and asking "What are you supposed to be?" The Batman. He's the human bat we just heard you were all scared of. Why are you laughing and why don't you know who he is?

I get that the line is there so that he can say "I'm vengeance" since that plays out later in the film, and the idea is that it IS Halloween so maybe this is just a dude on his way to a party in his costume, but come on. Maybe have a goon walk into the shadows first, only to get hurled back out with his arms busted then everyone trying to scatter in horror as he goes to town on them. Instead it's made clear that people seeing him in the light are unimpressed and think he looks silly. It's like at the beginning of Force Awakens when Kylo Ren shows up and immediately gets made fun of by Poe Dameron who cracks on his mask and voice. Really poor choice.
                              Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Netflixed the blu ray of this and we watched it last night. Arleen thought it was just okay. I liked it better than she did, but felt it slotted in behind the first two Nolan movies and tied with the first Burton movie. It was great to get Batman in costume for the majority of the film and Pattinson carried it off well. It didn't seem like a three hour movie and I was never bored.

With all the rain at times I felt like we were watching Seven, Blade Runner or Aquaman.

Maybe a second viewing may go better, but I'd give it an 8 out of 10 for now.

"The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Working...
                                X