X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that's messed up!
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

The 4 movies are also getting a (very) limited theatrical re-release.

https://www.fathomevents.com/collect...th-anniversary
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I don't know if I said this before but the only good one is the first one. It still holds up for me. Returns has some good things going for it but an equal amount of bad things. After that the franchise fell off a cliff.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

So, having rewatched Batman and Batman Returns in the last week (these 4k discs are really fucking beautiful) I'm officially in the 'Batman Returns Is Better' camp. I don't think I'd seen it since its theatrical run and a lot of what Burton was doing in that movie went over my head as a teenager. As a middle aged guy who has dipped into some of the German films that clearly inspired Batman Returns, I just got more out of it. The look of the film is fantastic, Michelle Pfeiffer is better than I remember her being as Catwoman (and I remember her being pretty good), Walken just cracks me up and DeVito is kind of perfect as The Penguin. It's a zanier film in a lot of ways than the original but it just works.

I actually kind of want to watch it again.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah, the revisit of the two films definitely proves the sequel to be better. I'd argue that the only thing the first film really has going for it is Jack Nicholson.

Comment

Honestly, the only way I'd want to revisit the Burton films would be if WB one day allowed the first cut of Returns to be released, the one that basically caused a total meltdown among the studio brass and marketing. Not only was there a fair bit of violence and disturbing imagery cut out after that, but also a good amount of plot stuff, including one scene I have a trading card of where the Penguin is piecing together shredded blueprints to figure out how to sabotage Batman's equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                So, having rewatched Batman and Batman Returns in the last week (these 4k discs are really fucking beautiful) I'm officially in the 'Batman Returns Is Better' camp. I don't think I'd seen it since its theatrical run and a lot of what Burton was doing in that movie went over my head as a teenager. As a middle aged guy who has dipped into some of the German films that clearly inspired Batman Returns, I just got more out of it. The look of the film is fantastic, Michelle Pfeiffer is better than I remember her being as Catwoman (and I remember her being pretty good), Walken just cracks me up and DeVito is kind of perfect as The Penguin. It's a zanier film in a lot of ways than the original but it just works.

I actually kind of want to watch it again.
                Day late and a dollar short but it's interesting you think that. A lot of the Batman diehards hate Returns because it has so little do with Batman. I liked Returns more when I was younger because I loved (and still love) fucked up things Tim Burton still had the magic back then. Now as an adult I prefer the original.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                  Now as an adult I prefer the original.
                  Maybe it's because I saw the original so many times when it was new that there wasn't as much for me to rediscover upon revisiting, whereas that didn't happen with Returns. BUT, I really did enjoy Returns more having watched both of them within 2 days of one another.

That said, I can see the complaint about Batman not being in it enough as valid, even if it didn't affect my enjoyment of it.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                    Maybe it's because I saw the original so many times when it was new that there wasn't as much for me to rediscover upon revisiting, whereas that didn't happen with Returns. BUT, I really did enjoy Returns more having watched both of them within 2 days of one another.

That said, I can see the complaint about Batman not being in it enough as valid, even if it didn't affect my enjoyment of it.
                    Kevin Smith did a fan commentary on the 4 oldschool Batman films. Funny shit but he goes into a nerd rage more often than not over Returns the most because how it diverged from Batman's character. As not a super diehard fan I got to see the other side to that perspective. So I understand why some don't like the Burton movies. Bizarrely, he did say that his favorite of the quadrilogy is Forever. Which is pure WTF-ery.

Comment

Bizarrely, he did say that his favorite of the quadrilogy is Forever.
                      He's probably just trying to be contrarian, but then, I'm not much of a Kevin Smith fan to be honest.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm not either (I like Clerks 2 and his stand up specials and that's it, he sold out years ago and his newer films are pure dog shit). But if you listen to his commentary he goes into how Forever plays out more like the comics and Batman is more accurate to the comics. While also fully admitted how it is bad but he ignores a lot of the schlock elements.

It doesn't make much sense to me either. Contrarianism? Too much pot? Who knows what the motivation is?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                          I'm not either (I like Clerks 2 and his stand up specials and that's it, he sold out years ago and his newer films are pure dog shit). But if you listen to his commentary he goes into how Forever plays out more like the comics and Batman is more accurate to the comics. While also fully admitted how it is bad but he ignores a lot of the schlock elements.

It doesn't make much sense to me either. Contrarianism? Too much pot? Who knows what the motivation is?
                          Honestly, as a huge Batman comic fan, I found Forever to be painfully disappointing. Val Kilmer was possibly the best Batman, and did the most actual detective work in the first four movies, but the neon, Dutch angles and terrible overacting by the woefully miscast villains just turned the whole exercise to shit in the end. And using New York as Gotham was just pants-on-head retarded.

I could see someone liking it if they could overlook the negatives, but I just couldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                            Honestly, as a huge Batman comic fan, I found Forever to be painfully disappointing. Val Kilmer was possibly the best Batman, and did the most actual detective work in the first four movies, but the neon, Dutch angles and terrible overacting by the woefully miscast villains just turned the whole exercise to shit in the end. And using New York as Gotham was just pants-on-head retarded.

I could see someone liking it if they could overlook the negatives, but I just couldn't.
                            Could be worse, Superman IV uses Milton Keynes as New York as Metropolis.

Being 8 in 1995, Batman Forever has made quite the impact on me..."Kiss from a Rose" being my first dance song at my wedding next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Meteor View Post
                              Could be worse, Superman IV uses Milton Keynes as New York as Metropolis.

Being 8 in 1995, Batman Forever has made quite the impact on me..."Kiss from a Rose" being my first dance song at my wedding next year.
                              It's so weird that Kiss from a Rose became a hit from Batman Forever. That song was a flop single a year before the movie, and they didn't even make a new video, they just cut pieces from the movie into the existing video. Great song though.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                                It's so weird that Kiss from a Rose became a hit from Batman Forever. That song was a flop single a year before the movie, and they didn't even make a new video, they just cut pieces from the movie into the existing video. Great song though.
                                It's barely in the film, just at the tale end of the credits. The reason I knew it was they had a Batman Forever promo doc on UK TV before the film opened, and they made a point of highlighting the song.

In the UK, Batman Forever was heavily cut to get a PG. The BD is uncut thankfully.

Comment

Working...
                                X