X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    I have to admit, I am a LOT less interested in this one after hearing they plan on bringing in The Court of Owls in subsequent films. They've really come up with some stupid shit in the comics in the last 10-12 years, and that whole thing is on the list of dumb ideas for Batman.

Leave a comment:

• Randy G

• Randy G
    replied
    This was better than I expected with more time spent on the mystery and puzzle aspect rather than endless action scenes.

I like Pattison but yeah his Wayne was far too morose but I assume/hope the way the film ends means he'll get to open up more emotionally in the next film.

It didn't drag for me despite its length and the romance worked imo. Nice to see a superhero film not shot like a flat TV show but it felt too dark visually in several early scenes, although this improved as the film progressed.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Tolch

• Mark Tolch
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post

Crave is basically the Canadian portal to HBONow these days.
    Yeah, it was an HBO Max release in the states, good news for Crave people.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
    I was really surprised to see this available for free on Crave. It's on VOD for $24.99 or free on Crave. How the hell did Crave get this so early?
    Crave is basically the Canadian portal to HBONow these days.

Leave a comment:

• Matt H.

• Matt H.
    replied
    I was really surprised to see this available for free on Crave. It's on VOD for $24.99 or free on Crave. How the hell did Crave get this so early?

Leave a comment:

• Mark Tolch

• Mark Tolch
    replied
    I felt largely the same as you did, though I was definitely aware of how long it was. There were some scenes where they would pause for dramatic effect, and all I could think of was, "HURRY UP". Would have definitely liked to have seen more of Selina....she shows up at the beginning as an important character, and then fucks off for like 2 hours.

I liked the look of this as well, and thought Pattinson was great as Batman; but man, as emo Bruce Wayne, I didn't like him at all.

And that fucking Joker bit, come on. I haven't seen the deleted scene, so I guess I'll just be thankful haha.

Overall, I thought it was good, certainly better than Nolan's last crack at it.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    That's quite the cast (though I can not stand Jeffrey Wright). Be interesting to see Pattinson pull it off. Or rather, if he can pull it off.
    We watched it last night and I feel like he did.

Some random thoughts on the movie...

What I liked?
    -the look of Gotham and the art design
    -the fact that the Batmobile is basically the last of the V-8 Interceptors
    -Paul Dano basically going full psycho in some of his messages
    -Colin Farrel was a rad Penguin and I'd like to see more of him in a sequel, though I've heard he's getting an HBO Max TV show.
    -John Turturro, I always love this guy and it was nice to see him get a good part in this and play it well
    -the action scenes hit pretty hard in this, and are well choreographed
    -the use of CGI in the movie didn't stick out like a sore thumb or take me out of the movie, which is rare in a superhero movie
    -some nice nods to The Long Halloween, Year One and the Legends Of The Dark Knight Venom storylines
    -they did a good job of making Pattinson look 'big' as Batman, which I think is important when he's going to be fighting 20 guys at once
    -lots of motorcyles

What I didn't like
    -that Joker cameo was completely unnecessary (though if you've seen the deleted scene that is online you'll know it could have been worse) and was clearly just fan service
    -Selina Kyle got basically zero character development. Zoey Kravitz delivered a fine performance and she looked great in the part but her character was really thin
    -Andy Serkis doesn't do it for me as Alfred, I don't know why. He's a good actor and there was nothing wrong with his performance but he didn't click for me.
    -The Batcave should be a cave and not a subway station
    -It was about 45 minutes longer than it needed to be, though to be fair, I was never bored even during scenes where the pacing definitely could have been improved

Overall though, I enjoyed it. Won't rush out to buy the UHD or anything, but it mostly gave me what I wanted from a Batman movie not starring Adam West.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Some of the viral marketing for the Pattinson Batman movie has been pretty creative.

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/the-...dlers-website/

Leave a comment:

• Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    I like it.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Tolch

• Mark Tolch
    replied
    That's quite the cast (though I can not stand Jeffrey Wright). Be interesting to see Pattinson pull it off. Or rather, if he can pull it off.

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied
    Sprinkle on some Nirvana for instant darkness.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Yeah, I'd watch that.

Leave a comment:

• Alex K.

• Alex K.
    replied

Looks good.

Leave a comment:

• Killer Meteor

• Killer Meteor
    replied
    When I read the name Ezra Miller, I keep thinking of some Wisconsin hillbilly serial killer.

Leave a comment:

• Alex K.

• Alex K.
    replied
    Ha!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X