Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Deleting Bought Films From iTunes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#7f666a775f74

You know how some people like to say that physical media is dead and streaming is the future? Well, Apple is doing a pretty good job right now of proving that theory well and truly wrong.

Reports have started to emerge of Apple completely deleting films from iTunes accounts even when they've been bought, not merely rented. And when people complain about this, they're receiving an astonishing message from Apple telling them that iTunes is just a “store front,” and so Apple isn't to blame if a film studio decides it no longer wants to make its titles available on iTunes.

Even worse, it seems that if bought film titles are removed from your account you may not even be entitled to get a refund for them. When an iTunes user in Canada complained to Apple that their initial offer of a free $5.99 rental hardly seemed suitable recompense for him having three bought films summarily removed from his account, Apple replied that “our ability to offer refunds diminishes over time. Hence your purchases doesn't meet the conditions for a refund.”
    LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

I love physical media.
    "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Comment

Because encouraging the consumer to torrent movies is always a good idea.
      Alex K.
      Last edited by Alex K.; 09-19-2018, 03:06 AM.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Since Comcast began offering digital items for sale a few years ago, I've always wondered why anyone would pay as much as $20 for a movie they would not be able to access if they decided to switch to another provider (e.g., Fios).
        Lorne Marshall
        Last edited by Lorne Marshall; 09-14-2018, 04:01 AM.
        VHS will never die!

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Horse 77 View Post
          I love physical media.
          Unity.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
            Unity.
            Im with y'all.
            "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Not wishing to sound like a raging technophobe, but I've felt that this has been a possibility since the streaming 'revolution' began and it was only a matter of time before Apple, Amazon or one of the other providers would be faced with the problem of rightsholders or distributors removing their films from online storefronts - and what would happen to the accounts of customers who had purchased these films.
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                Im with y'all.
                Co-sign.
                "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                  Unity.
                  "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

It's a good story but not true. Come on guys! Random twitter user you don't know claims this happened, doesn't mention which movies they were and we all buy into it? Why?

Apple has come out and said they dont and wont delete movies you've downloaded. In this case I think it was some complex story where the guy was travelling and he was trying access his Canadian purchases through an Australian itunes account.

A hassle for him, sure, but it sounds generally mismanaged. But ask yourself this, if you move countries as this guy did what happens to your physical media collection? You shipping it over with you? How much would that cost? This is actually just another example of the superiority of downloading movies. The guy in the story may have temporarily lost access to 3 of his films, and been a bit hysterical about it, but in his position you would lose access to all of your discs.

I kind of wanted to believe this story too because fuck Apple but it always sounded farfetched. By the way my Itunes purchases are all safe. I encode all of them and back them up to the cloud. No way anything can ever happen to them.
                    Last edited by Dom D; 10-24-2018, 03:02 AM.
                    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Horse 77 View Post
                      I love physical media.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	1
Size:	903.0 KB
ID:	355059

Comment

I love movies.
                        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Can't we all just agree that Apple are thieving twats regardless of preferred format?!
                          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                            Can't we all just agree that Apple are thieving twats regardless of preferred format?!
                            I'm absolutely down with that. Been saying it loudly for years. But! At the moment Apple is giving everyone free 4k upgrades on the HD movies they've sold in the past. On the other hand Synapse, much loved member of the community that they are, do a bang up job cleaning up Suspiria and then only release it on HD so that they can resell the same transfer to you later in 4k. Who's on the right side of this? Can't believe I'm saying it but in this case you have to give a hundred times more respect to Apple and Google than to the likes of Synapse and Mondo Macabro et al. The former are giving away free stuff while the later are... well I don't think it's pretty.

Lets hang Apple for the shit they actually do and not get out the pitchforks because confused people on Twitter say they're misbehaving.

Comment

Yes, the constant 4k master upgrading of Arrow and Blue Underground et al. annoys the hell out of me, but I rarely double dip. Especially grating as some of these titles were scanner noise fests when originally released.

I agree, it is uncharacteristically generous of Apple and Google to do this for free, but I doubt it costs them anything as they're just middlemen and generates goodwill. It's definitely one advantage, weighed against their power to take away titles that have been paid for. Personally I want to die sitting on a pile of physical media in obsolete formats laughing like a madman.
                              I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Working...
                              X