Apple Deleting Bought Films From iTunes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
    Can't we all just agree that Apple are thieving twats regardless of preferred format?!
    It isn't Apple, it's the rights-holders. Whoever owns the movies now told Apple they had to pull those movies and considers the licenses the old rights-holders sold Apple to be invalid. It's a result of the Byzantine licensing landscape in Canada, and we will probably see more of this kind of shit in the next few years, as most Canadian distribution contracts were 50-year deals signed in the late 60s.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
      It isn't Apple, it's the rights-holders. Whoever owns the movies now told Apple they had to pull those movies and considers the licenses the old rights-holders sold Apple to be invalid. It's a result of the Byzantine licensing landscape in Canada, and we will probably see more of this kind of shit in the next few years, as most Canadian distribution contracts were 50-year deals signed in the late 60s.
      But nothing was deleted. The movies in question were all still available in both Canada and Australia. This was a glitch.

A spokesman said: “Any movies you've already downloaded can be enjoyed at any time and will not be deleted unless you've chosen to do so. If you change your country setting, some movies may not be available to re-download from the movie store if the version you purchased isn't also available in the new country. If needed, you can change your country setting back to your prior country to re-download those movies.”

So 100% if you download your movies they are safe forever. You'd be nuts not to. If your moving around the world then you might have some issues streaming direct from the itunes store because of rights in different countries. Though that wasn't quite the case here. Of course if you're moving round the world then you can't have a physical media collection at all.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Dom, tell me.

What did physical media ever do to you? Why do you hate it so much?
        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Gee whilikers

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
          I'm absolutely down with that. Been saying it loudly for years. But! At the moment Apple is giving everyone free 4k upgrades on the HD movies they've sold in the past. On the other hand Synapse, much loved member of the community that they are, do a bang up job cleaning up Suspiria and then only release it on HD so that they can resell the same transfer to you later in 4k. Who's on the right side of this? Can't believe I'm saying it but in this case you have to give a hundred times more respect to Apple and Google than to the likes of Synapse and Mondo Macabro et al. The former are giving away free stuff while the later are... well I don't think it's pretty.
          Streaming is shit quality, period.
          Physical media delivers a higher quality experience, not convenience, which is what streamers want.
          When it comes to movies I love I could give a crap about convenience.

Convenience over quality...simple.
          Make your choice.

Streaming does not include any extras or special features, often no audio options.

Mondo Macabro do amazing restoration work, and create unique and value added extra features.
          Apple does not do any of this. Most of the major studios don't so this.

This is what people who love movies really want, no streaming.

If their efforts are not supported, the convenience seekers will never see these types of films.
          Because they will never be remastered and made available to stream if not for sale via physical media to collectors.
          https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

I wouldn't go as far as to say that streaming is shit quality, but it's obviously lesser than physical media.

That being said, I've certainly bought enough hard copies of things that were a disappointment, at a premium price (being north of the border will sometimes do that). In a lot of cases, TV shows, one-off viewings, etc, streaming is just fine. In other cases, sure I'd prefer physical, but if we're talking a difference of 4 bucks vs 40, I may opt for the former.

Comment

Reality is if no one supports the boutiques, all the streaming services will have is mainstream garbage.
              If you love cult movie and think you'll be happy only streaming them....you are not helping the cause in the least.

Streaming is just another way for studios to make more and more money.
              It would not exist with the product to stream. Mainstream studios churn out bland, formulaic tasteless garbage.
              Boutique labels add spicy titles to liven things up.
              Chicken or the egg here?

I think the amount of compression used to get the original file onto a Blu is astounding.
              Something like 98% of the original data is lost, leaving roughly 2% of the original file left on the Blu.

To get that file compressed to streaming size , a lot of funky shit goes on.

I am not saying streaming looks bad per say, but it is absolutely shit compared to the blu, which is shit compared to the original file.
              https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by John Bernhard View Post
                Streaming does not include any extras or special features, often no audio options. ...
                Not true. While I don't argue that there is a quality difference, a large quantity of titles on iTunes includes "iTunes Extras". For instance, Arrow is releasing their content on iTunes. I own two of the titles on physical media. I bought one of the iTunes titles because it was cheap, and I had a large credit. The content is the same -- all of the extras are there.

As to quality ... yeah, there was absolutely a difference. However, I gained the ability to stream it (from "the cloud" or my downloaded copy) any time I wanted where the capability exists.

I've said before, when quality matters, I will absolutely buy a physical copy. However, my (truly) humble opinion is that, say, _Society_ doesn't require the full bitrate to be enjoyed or appreciated. The downloaded version is noticeably higher quality than DVD, and that's good enough, especially on an tablet or laptop.

I don't believe that physical media is going away. They will keep selling us new copies of whatever they can for as long as they can. Would they prefer it to be digital only? Sure they would, but not every customer CAN do digital only, and that will be the case for a long, long time.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy having the option.

Comment

Streaming is shit quality: First of all I'm talking about downloads not streaming. This is always the first thing physical media fans do is pretend that streaming is the only option. It isn't. The quality of downloads can be whatever the uploader wants it to be. A bluray is a digital file burnt onto a disc. The same digital file can be downloaded. If you need proof Cinemageddon offers bluray files without further compression and your media player will not even know it's not playing a bluray. I just flat out don't get this argument.

Reality is if no one supports the boutiques, all the streaming services will have is mainstream garbage.
                  If you love cult movie and think you'll be happy only streaming them....you are not helping the cause in the least.
                  Who said anything about not helping the cause or supporting the labels? I have repeatedly told the likes of Mondo Macabro that if they offer a download option I will buy it in a second. I bought every single one of their first couple dozen releases. i supported them. But now they don't want digital options because it means they will most likely be able to sell you a movie more than once. I'm of the opinion, like Apple and Google, that you should only be able to sell the same transfer once.

Dom, tell me.

What did physical media ever do to you? Why do you hate it so much?
                  Well lets just say first of all that I move around a lot so physical is flat out not an option for me. Can't do it. So I don't get to buy films the likes of MM and synapse anymore. Fucking sucks. I've nothing against physical media, I'm glad if you guys need the boxes that option is there. I just want the option of a file.

You guys are frequently specifically arguing that that option shouldn't be provided. So a better question would be, what did downloads ever do to you guys? Look at the way people piled in to rundown iTunes here because one confused guy out of the 500,000,000 itunes users claimed Apple deleted his films. You guys aren't silly enough to really buy that story but everyone desperately wanted to believe it. There's a hundred advantages to a media file. I can't come up with one for physical.

My issue with physical is this the worlds moved on. I don't know anyone who still has a DVD player. The only reason physical still exists is because of games consoles. We're in a wierd cul-de-sac where the labels we like have not moved on with the rest of the world. Compare it to music. Most of us have moved on there to purely digital options. Imagine if your favourite music labels decided that they would only release to CD? Do you go out and buy a CD player or do you say fuck these guys and just take the music from online? Last year I actually did go and buy a blu ray player so I could pick up the gfilms I despearately didn't want to miss. But it broke in six months which, lets face it, is not uncommon. Am I supposed to buy another? And another?
                  Last edited by Dom D; 10-28-2018, 09:12 PM.
                  "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Actually don't worry about it. I don't actually want to be in this debate. I always find it a silly debate because it goes round in circles. I can say I don't support streaming but want downloads but I know in two posts time someone will be calling me out because I can't see the difference in a stream and bluray. It just goes round in circles.

Sorry I ddin't mean to kick it off again. Although to be fair you guys started it! You're all too bright to do so but you used this csutomer service complaint to justify why there's a not a reaonable option to download. You want to buy discs? Great. I want to be able to download movies as discs are not an appropriate option for me? There's no reason we shouldn't be fine with that as well.
                    Last edited by Dom D; 10-28-2018, 10:21 PM.

Comment

I don't understand why people always want to make it an either/or situation. If you don't buy physical media, stream, and illegally download you're going to miss out on something, somewhere. I want the best version available of any given title and there's no all purpose solution to that. You have to go where the movies are. The quality argument simply doesn't hold up if your only options for a film are a blurry old dvd or a pristine HD transfer on Vudu or iTunes. I'm not choosing the crappy dvd just so I can have something else sitting on my shelf.

Comment

There's no right or wrong answer here. Just go with what works for you. If Dom wants downloads and that works for him, great. I still like discs. That's also great. One has not bearing on the other.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                          There's no right or wrong answer here. Just go with what works for you. If Dom wants downloads and that works for him, great. I still like discs. That's also great. One has not bearing on the other.
                          I was informed that it was one or the other and if you make the wrong choice Robert Z'dar will rise from his grave in the Maniac Cop costume and break all of your physical media and/or hard drives containing downloads.
                          "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I would gladly make the sacrifice to bring Z'Dar back.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I will watch something on stream to check it out, and if I really like it, or if it's something I know I will like and want to have the best quality, I buy a disk. I would consider paid downloads only if they were the same exact quality as disks, it we aren't there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                                I will watch something on stream to check it out, and if I really like it, or if it's something I know I will like and want to have the best quality, I buy a disk. I would consider paid downloads only if they were the same exact quality as disks, it we aren't there yet.
                                I stream tv shows and buy movies on disk. But then half the shows I keep up with I end up buying on disc later on.

Comment

Working...
                                X