Mirror

Bringing Up Baby

July 13
    Deep Cover

Working Girls

July 20
    La piscine

Comment

• Can't wait for BRINGING UP BABY! One of the funniest films ever. I can watch that anytime.
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• think i will get Deep Cover

Comment

• UK releases for July 2021:
          Mirror
          Bringing Up Baby
          Pariah

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
            It has the TV version as well, with all of the awkward overdubs like "fuzzy nerd".
            He's gonna flip! Then he's gonna kill us!

I've never seen the TV version before, and am loving the extra footage that they put in there to pad it out. More Nicky Coppola, more Phoebe Cates, awesome.

Comment

• August 10
              After Life

August 17
              Original Cast Album: Company

August 24
              Ashes and Diamonds

August 31
              Beasts of No Nation

Comment

• I'm thrilled to see After Life get a Criterion release! I've been hoping this might happen since they released Still Walking ages ago. Here's hoping this bodes well for more Kore-Eda films to be added to the collection, such as Shoplifters.

Comment

• Criterion is doing a Melvin Van Peebles box set
                  Criterion plans to re-release a restored “Sweetback,” as well as other Van Peebles films, including “Don't Play Us Cheap,” “Watermelon Man,” and “Three-Day Pass,” along with son Mario's 2003 film, “Baadasssss!”, starring as his father in a biopic about the making of “Sweetback.” All five films, plus Van Peebles' mostly unseen shorts, will make up a single box set.

Comment

• OK, that I'm genuinely excited about.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• UK releases for August 2021:
                      Blow Out
                      Deep Cover
                      All About Eve

Comment

• September 28
                        Melvin Van Peebles: Four Films

SPECIAL FEATURES
                        • New 4K digital restorations of all four films, approved by filmmaker Mario Van Peebles, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks for The Story of a Three Day Pass, Watermelon Man, and Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song and 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack for Don't Play Us Cheap
                        • Baadasssss!, a 2003 fictional feature film based on director Melvin Van Peebles's diaries from the making of Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, directed by and starring his son Mario Van Peebles, with commentary by father and son
                        • New conversations between Mario Van Peebles and film critic Elvis Mitchell; producer Warrington Hudlin and critic and filmmaker Nelson George; and scholars Gerald R. Butters Jr., Novotny Lawrence, and Amy Abugo Ongiri
                        • Audio commentary by Melvin Van Peebles from 1997 on Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song
                        • Three early short films directed by Melvin Van Peebles
                        • How to Eat Your Watermelon in White Company (and Enjoy It), a 2005 documentary on Van Peebles's life and career
                        • The Story Behind “Baadasssss!”: The Birth of Black Cinema, a 2004 featurette
                        • Melvin Van Peebles: The Real Deal, a 2002 interview with the director on the making of Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song
                        • Episodes of Black Journal from 1968, 1971, and 1972, on The Story of a Three Day Pass, Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, and Don't Play Us Cheap
                        • Interview from 1971 with Van Peebles on Detroit Tubeworks
                        • French television interview from 1968 with Van Peebles and actors Harry Baird and Nicole Berger on the set of The Story of a Three Day Pass
                        • Excerpts from a 2004 interview with Van Peebles for the Directors Guild of America Visual History Program
                        • Introductions to all four films by Van Peebles
                        • Trailers
                        • New English subtitle translation for The Story of a Three Day Pass
                        • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
                        • PLUS: A 64-page book featuring writing on the films, including an introduction by film scholar Racquel J. Gates

Comment

• SEPTEMBER 14
                          Mona Lisa

SEPTEMBER 21
                          Throw Down

Love & Basketball

September 28
                          Melvin Van Peebles: Four Films

The Damned

Comment

• A nice line up, hopefully there's some more Johnnie To coming from CC.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                              A nice line up, hopefully there's some more Johnnie To coming from CC.
                              That would be terrific. I hadn't heard of Thrown Down until this announcement and am excitied to see it get the Criterion treatment. If it does well for them perhaps we could get, say, an Election box set. I could also see them going for a release of Drug War.

Meanwhile, I'm stoked for their release of Mona Lisa and am hoping that this suggests more HandMade Films releases might be on the way. I'd love to see nicely remastered editions of Withnail & I and The Long Good Friday.

Comment

• UK slate for September 2021:
                                Beasts of No Nation
                                Original Cast Album: Company
                                Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

Comment

Working...
                                X