No announcement yet.

The Criterion Collection Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The announcement of June's titles has been delayed until Monday, but it seems that a WILD STRAWBERRIES upgrade will be announced.

Comment

• Ingmar Bergman upgrades are always welcome. I'd love to see Wild Strawberries in hi-def.

Criterion has been withholding The Shooting and Ride In the Whirlwind from release for about eight years. Time to take these Monte Hellman westerns off the back-burner before they start sticking to the bottom of the pan. Or let somebody else release them on blu-ray.
      "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
      - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• Hellman said on twitter last year that they should be coming out this year (2013)

Comment

• I don't doubt he thinks so, but I'll believe it when I see it.
          "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
          - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• June Releases:

Wild Strawberries

Things To Come

Marketa Lazarova

Safety Last!

Shoah
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Never seen Shoah, but color me very very interested.

Comment

• Blu-ray.com has a review of Criterion's REPO MAN Blu-ray. The extras are identical to those on the MoC release except Criterion doesn't have the Isolated music and effects track or the All-new 2012 video piece by Cox offering further thoughts on the film (10:35 in 1080P), but it does have the newly created Plate O' Shrimp - "a video piece featuring interviews with musician Keith Morris and actors Dick Rude, Olivia Barash, and Miguel Sandoval. The interviewees discuss the film's influential soundtrack, its unique themes, the audition process, the main characters in the film, etc. The interviews were conducted in 2012. In English, not subtitled. (20 min, 1080p)." Most importantly, it seems that the Criterion has a new, better transfer.

Comment

• More StudioCanal titles are going OOP on the 31st
                  Dear Criterion collectors,

We wanted to let you know that the following titles are going out of print effective March 31:

Army of Shadows

Le Cercle rouge

Le doulos

Last Year at Marienbad

Leon Morin, Priest

Mafioso

We have limited stock on hand, and will be selling copies through the 31st, while supplies last. As in the past, we hope to relicense the films so that they can rejoin the collection sometime in the future.

Sincerely,
                  The Criterion Collection
                  Derrick King
                  Waterfall Puncher
                  Last edited by Derrick King; 03-29-2013, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• The Criterion Collection Thread

Interesting seeing as their has been a bit of a mini controversy over Criterion's color timing vs. the Studio Canal version of ARMY OF SHADOWS.

Makes me wonder if Criterion end up re-licensing it if it'll have a different USA territories transfer.

Comment

• You are thinking of Criterion's Le cercle rouge, not Army of Shadows. These are with Lionsgate now, so the transfers on their releases (if they release them at all) will be identical to the StudioCanal releases.

Comment

• The Criterion Collection Thread

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
                        You are thinking of Criterion's Le cercle rouge, not Army of Shadows. These are with Lionsgate now, so the transfers on their releases (if they release them at all) will be identical to the StudioCanal releases.
                        No - I am talking about ARMY OF SHADOWS. it's discussed in the Bluray.com review from yesterday.

Comment

• Interesting, I never heard anyone complain about the color timing on Army of Shadows. I'll go read the Blu-ray.com review.

Ok, I read it and looked at the screencaps. The StudioCanal release looks like it has a yellow-green tint that the Criterion doesn't have (which would explain why they think it has its reds boosted), and knowing that Melville preferred cooler color timing, I'd guess that the Criterion is closer to how it should be. (Unlike Criterion's Le cercle rouge, which is a little to warm)
                          Derrick King
                          Waterfall Puncher
                          Last edited by Derrick King; 03-29-2013, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• Criterion has the rights to 18 Satyajit Ray films and are currently restoring them
                            Having bought the home video rights of The Apu Trilogy, Charulata, Mahanagar and Nayak among others, they are set to do "frame by frame" restoration before distributing them in the US and Canada. What's more, director Abbey Lustgartern is in town to film personal accounts shared by artistes who have worked with Ray, to go with each film.
                            Location coordinator Abhra Bhattacharya, who is helping Abbey, says the only film whose restoration is complete so far is Jalsaghar. "From colour correction to scratch removal, the team working on this project is going all out to ensure that the films' longevity is improved. By April 2014, all other films will be restored...

Comment

• I watched the BD of MINSTRY OF FEAR last night. After seeing it quite a few times, this one surprisingly continues to grow on me and it's become one of my favorite Lang films. Marjorie Reynolds never became a star but I love her in this, she's very natural and gives a quiet, luminous performance. Ray Milland is very good too, and Dan Duryea starts his Lang run here, playing a suave and menacing tailor - there's a great scene where he's making a phone call with a huge pair of scissors in his hand, standing near Milland, and you really wonder if he's gonna stab him. The cinematography is top notch, very shadowy and nightmarish. The disc is a little light on supplements, there is an interview with a Lang scholar on the film and a perceptive essay that makes a fine case for the film. The film looks very nice too. One of my favorite discs of the year so far.
                              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Criterionforum.org has posted pictures of the REPO MAN packaging and it is great

Comment

Working...
                                X