Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Player! Finally.
    "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Comment

• The Player was a bit of a surprise, as I think everyone figured the Warner Brothers titles would be limited to stuff that they had not, and likely would not, issue on Blu (The Emigrants/The New Land, Kurosawa's Dreams, Day for Night, etc.)

Comment

• So long as they're releasing a Warner title, maybe there's hope for Prince of the City.

Comment

• The Home Theater Forum posted the sell sheets, and it turns out that The Player did not have any mention of Warner or New Line, meaning that it is likely that they no longer have the home video rights to the film.

Comment

• According to The Canon podcast, Criterion will be releasing Alexander Payne's ELECTION and according to the Criterion Cast, Criterion will be releasing Laurie Anderson's HEART OF A DOG (iTunes version will be available on March 1st, no word yet on a physical release.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
              According to The Canon podcast, Criterion will be releasing Alexander Payne's ELECTION and according to the Criterion Cast, Criterion will be releasing Laurie Anderson's HEART OF A DOG (iTunes version will be available on March 1st, no word yet on a physical release.)
              A Criterion Election would be pretty sweet.

Comment

• Dr. Strangelove

and confirmation that they are releasing Malick's The New World

Comment

• So Criterion's Lee Kline and Phoebe Harmon did a presentation at the Wexner Center earlier today and the news/rumors to come out:
                  Blood Simple
                  Mondo Trasho (maybe, a clip from a John Waters film was included in the presentation, but the person that tweeted this wasn't 100% that this is what it was)
                  The New World will have multiple cuts
                  More Tarkovsky
                  Derrick King
                  Waterfall Puncher
                  Last edited by Derrick King; 02-26-2016, 08:27 PM.

Comment

So Criterion's Lee Kline and Phoebe Harmon did a presentation at the Wexner Center earlier today and the news/rumors to come out:
                    Blood Simple
                    Mondo Trasho (maybe, a clip from a John Waters film was included in the presentation, but the person that tweeted this wasn't 100% that this is what it was)
                    The New World will have multiple cuts
                    More Tarkovsky
                    A poster on CriterionForum mentioned a few months ago that Waters said during one of his Christmas shows that Mondo Trasho would not ever be re-released because of music rights issues. Maybe the person at the presentation mixed up "Multiple Maniacs" (which is definitely coming out) for "Mondo Trasho"? I suspect that's more likely than the music rights issues for "Mondo Trasho" getting cleared up, but who knows.

Comment

• That could be it. A member of the Criterion forum was at the Wexner event and posted the following
                      I was there. The restoration demo was very nice, with some teasing and some confirmation:

A lot of it was video of their software & artists working through footage, mostly of Manchurian Candidate & A Brighter Summer Day. Unrestored Man-Can footage looked good already (project in Frankenheimer's preferred 1.75), and ABSD did not. That restoration is kind of heroic.

They walked through some of the processes, peppered with anecdotes about David Lynch and Wes Anderson's cinematographer, among others. RGB bubbles are a thing with wet gate scans, who knew.

For the description of chroma breathing, they showed a very warped frame of what looked like a cinemascope arctic expedition. Or a desert expedition, it was very bleak looking. They couldn't say what it was yet.

They also showed clips from Here Comes Mr. Jordan, a b&w open matte 16mm shot from what I took to be a John Waters film with a bearded transvestite and another woman beating up someone who resembled Divine on a grotty city street, and a few clips from Blood Simple, one with a burnt-out hole in the frame. The story was that the negative cutter smoked like a stack. Also, ABSD generated 13 terabytes of data in 4K and took 4 months of work (off & on) for the artists to restore. (Maybe it was 17 TB-- my handwriting is bad.)

Dave Filipi mentioned today that the Manchurian Candidate restoration will probably not be touring due to rights issues. Then we got to watch it in a 4K DCP. Wexner is a really amazing film center, and seeing these things projected in true 4K is a treat. That's about all I can remember since I went to four movies there today and it all seems so long ago.

I'll post a bit about the Brighter Summer Day blu-ray & resto in that thread, since I walked away with a copy and watched it last night.
                      And here is his post on the restoration of A Brighter Summer Day

Comment

• Criterion is launching in the UK on April 18th, first releases are Speedy, It Happened One Night, Grey Gardens, Polanski's Macbeth, and Tootsie.

Comment

• Word out of the the Guadalajara Film Festival is that Criterion will be releasing Felipe Cazals CANOA

Comment

Criterion is launching in the UK
                            SAY WHAT?! Never even heard a hint of this. Wonder how they'll handle the UK market? Will they just release US discs in the UK market or go for UK exclusives too? It'll be interesting to see how this affects UK independent labels like MoC, as I imagine Criterion should have the economical muscle to take almost all licenses if they were so inclined.

Comment

• There was an article in the Guardian the other day and it said that they currently have no plans for UK exclusives and
                              As for Criterion's future UK plans, “We want to get a critical mass into the market relatively quickly,” says Turell. “After the first wave, we'll probably follow up with another six a couple of months thereafter, and then probably two titles a month, three titles every other month.”
                              The sixth launch title, which I didn't mention, is Only Angels Have Wings. Sony, Harold Lloyd and Maysles are the three licensors of the titles that have been announced, so it is a good guess that more of those will be released.

As for MoC, they did lose the UK rights to Grey Gardens to Criterion, and over at the Blu-ray.com forums, the guy from Eureka that post there mentioned that there was a group of titles that they were interested in but found out that they entire catalog had been picked up.

Comment

• The June announcement is delayed 'til tomorrow, but the people pages that went up today indicate that they will announce the following:
                                Le Amiche
                                Clouds of Sils Maria
                                Here Comes Mr. Jordan
                                Fantastic Planet
                                La Chienne
                                Derrick King
                                Waterfall Puncher
                                Last edited by Derrick King; 03-15-2016, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X