No announcement yet.

The Criterion Collection Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellman has confirmed that Criterion has THE SHOOTING and RIDE IN THE WHIRLWIND.

Comment

• It actually sounds like these two are finally going to happen. Thanks for posting that, Derrick. Shit, I can't wait for these!
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• July 15
        Pickpocket

Scanners

July 22
        Insomnia

The Essentail Jacques Demy

July 29
        The Big Chill
        Derrick King
        Waterfall Puncher
        Last edited by Derrick King; 04-15-2014, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• THE BG CHILL makes me wanna puke.

Comment

• Originally posted by bgart13 View Post
            THE BG CHILL makes me wanna puke.
            Yeah, this one is just.....odd.

SCANNERS, though. Awesome.

Comment

• THE BIG CHILL leaves me cold (see what I did there? still got it), but to a lot of baby boomers that film is a big deal. My late sister, who was about 10 years older, adored it. I was born in 1964 so I guess I'm the tail end of the boomers but I can't stand it. I'd imagine it will be a big seller for them though.

Comment

• I know they released THE BIG CHILL on laserdisc, but I think I read a rumor that Sony asked them to release it on Blu. The rest of the line-up is top notch.

Comment

• Latest Newsletter hint

The Vanishing seems like the best guess.

Going back to THE BIG CHILL, it seems that Criterion took it as part of a deal to get TOOTSIE.

Comment

• ...which they wanted in order to release...?

Comment

• Tootsie.

Comment

• ...oh.

Comment

• Originally posted by bgart13 View Post
                          ...oh.
                          Ha, that was my reaction to reading that they took THE BIG CHILL to get TOOTSIE.

Comment

• I'd be thrilled if they released THE VANISHING aka SPOORLOOS on BD - their DVD was pretty much barebones. Damn, what a terrific film that is, still very much underrated I think.

Comment

• Monte Hellman is currently working on the extras for THE SHOOTING and RIDE IN THE WHIRLWIND. He posted the following update on his facebook page:
                              LETTER FROM KANAB--

Kanab, long known as 'Little Hollywood,' is the town in Utah where THE SHOOTING and RIDE IN THE WHIRLWIND were shot. I've been here for two days shooting some of the extras for the Criterion Blu ray box set of these movies. I'm tremendously excited.

Besides trying to locate some of our original locations -- no mean task after nearly 50 years -- we spent 90 minutes interviewing Calvin Johnson, who was our chief wrangler, as well as location manager, occasional stunt man, and instructor in horsemanship for the actors who needed him. He'll be 92 in two months, and he's got the memory of an elephant. He's truly the last cowboy, and his Cowboy's Tale will be one of the major features of the box set. You'll be amazed.

Comment

• Has this been mentioned yet? I saw this news at the CHFB - link looks like Criterion has THE INNOCENTS planned for October. I have never gotten that import BD so this is very welcome news. Here's the pertinent quote:

"And keeping with horror, Criterion has a treat up its sleeve for Halloween with the arrival of The Innocents (1961). This adaptation of Henry James' “The Turn of the Screw” is a gothic spooker, with Deborah Kerr as a new governess encountering unnatural circumstances at a country estate. Expect premium extras on this one."

Comment

Working...
                                X