No announcement yet.

The Criterion Collection Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE Blu-ray (& dvd) is out at Barnes and Noble (online and in store).

Comment

• a member of the criterion forum found this Zatoichi art by Polly Guo, which originally had this note: "an unused illustration for a Zatoichi film series boxset for the Criterion Collection"

So Criterion has hired a different artist for every Zatoichi film and some sort of box set is in the works. After seeing Caitlin Kuhwald comment on Yuko Shimizu's Zatoichi drawing that she was doing one too, I knew some sort of box set was in the works, but still it boggles my mind.

Comment

• So looks like CC is just going to release the 7 titles that went out of print from Animeigo right? I have to say none of the artwork is particularly inspiring and that last one with the fetus is just....no comment. Too bad Criterion couldn't just acquire the original artwork from the one shot manga by Hiroshi Hirata.

Comment

• No, those 7 in addition to the ones they already have. Ricardo Vení¢ncio mentioned that he is doing #7 ZATOICHI'S FLASHING SWORD (which is one that is up on Hulu) and Andrew MacLean said he is doing #22 ZATOICHI MEETS THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (which was one of the AnimEigo 7.)

That one with the fetus one isn't going to be used.

I'm not sure if any of these will be cover art as (assuming these will be Blu-rays) they can, for most of the series, fit 2 to 3 films on a single disc, so there is no need for 25 or 26 pieces of art. I figure this stuff will be used for a booklet or for the inner cases of a massive digipak.

Here is a more finished version of Ricardo Vení¢ncio's piece

And Criterion Cast posted another ZATOICHI drawing (this one is by Simon Kercz)
          Derrick King
          Waterfall Puncher
          Last edited by Derrick King; 07-25-2013, 04:34 AM.

Comment

• ah I see...ok, I was a bit confused there. I will definitely upgrade my HVE single discs for the Criterion editions if they manage to release all the HVE/Animeigo films on blu ray. I know it's wishful thinking but is there any possibility of Criterion obtaining the one film in the series (Zatoichi's Pilgrimage) that HVE wasn't able to secure the rights due to the fiasco with Miramax?

Comment

• I know a few posters here always seem to know about who owns what film rights and when those rights expire. Curious if anyone thinks a Criterion re-issue of Paul Morrissey's ("Andy Warhol's") Blood for Dracula & Flesh for Frankenstein could be possible in the near future. Both have been OoP for quite a while. Would be nice to see a double disc of "Flesh" with a 3-D version (field sequential or anaglyph version)

Comment

• I think BLOOD FOR DRACULA and FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN are possible. I'm pretty sure that Cliff said he tried to get them for Scream and they had already been licensed out. I though the US rightsholder was Westchester Films, and they have licensed a number of titles to Criterion (STAGECOACH, QUADROPHENIA, TO BE OR NOT TO BE, I MARRIED A WITCH, FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT, BREAKER MORANT), but they are redoing their website and BLOOD and FLESH are no longer on there (neither is QUADROPHENIA, so they may still have those two).

Comment

• Originally posted by 47lab View Post
                  ah I see...ok, I was a bit confused there. I will definitely upgrade my HVE single discs for the Criterion editions if they manage to release all the HVE/Animeigo films on blu ray. I know it's wishful thinking but is there any possibility of Criterion obtaining the one film in the series (Zatoichi's Pilgrimage) that HVE wasn't able to secure the rights due to the fiasco with Miramax?
                  They have ZATOICHI'S PILGRIMAGE and it is on Hulu (for free, but it has commercial interruptions.)

The only one I'm not sure about is #26 ZATOICHI (1989), which was released by Media Blasters.

Comment

• Thanks! I've been out of the loop about Zatoichi on Hulu and didn't even realize Criterion had acquired the rights to #14 but guess it should be no surprise since the HVE/Janus releases were years ago. i have the "bootleg" version lying around here somewhere & thankfully, the PQ & the quality of the subs was on par with the official HVE DVDs but a Criterion version would most certainly be a welcome addition especially a blu ray version. I have no idea about the Media Blasters 1989 movie either?

Comment

• I've found another Zatoichi sketch from Simon Kercz

More zatoichi. Plotting an illustration on the blind swordsman's extrasensory perception. #zatoichi #criterionfilmcollection
                      And here is Andrew MacLean's finished (?) piece

Comment

• Too lazy to draw feet. Or more than one arm.

Comment

• Ha. Maybe the left foot is visible on the original uncropped drawing.(probably not) About the arm, he is a one-armed swordsman.

Comment

• The Criterion Collection Thread

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                            Righteous! But how likely is it Criterion would release THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY while the Warner Brothers blu-ray is still being sold for under $10 everywhere you look?
                            They issued DAZED AND CONFUSED in an SE while a cheap version on Blu was out there. And that title sold ok. So it's possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
                              About the arm, he is a one-armed swordsman.
                              And why is he a one-armed swordsman? Because two arms is too much work.

Comment

• Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Working...
                                X