The Criterion Collection Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Or maybe Hanzo (wishful thinking - his eyes look kinda closed and blind guyish there).
    HA! Can you imagine Hanzo getting the CC treatment? That would be so fucking over the top! :woot: I'd much rather see another Katsu picture receive the CC treatment & that's Teshigahara's THE MAN WITHOUT A MAP. It's much more worthy than any of the Zatoichi flicks IMO.

Comment

• She mentioned it was a drawing of Zatoichi.

Criterion does have the rights to Hanzo.

I think they have a run of those empty "Explore > People >" pages that correspond to the cast of THE MAN WITHOUT A MAP

Comment

• yeah, I know. I've watched the entire Hanzo trilogy on Hulu not too long ago. On a related footnote, I'm hoping CC can release more Gosha too. I've been waiting for someone to release TENCHU on R1 DVD/Blu ray for years. Not sure if Criterion has secured the rights to this masterpiece though? The other Gosha two films in Criterion's catalog were also from Shochiku, so I figure it wouldn't be a big deal for Criterion to acquire TENCHU. I know Criterion has the distribution rights to BANDITS VS SAMURAI SQUADRON, HUNTER IN THE DARK & DEATH SHADOWS and that would make a lovely future Eclipse box set IMO. :up:

Comment

• Criterion also has Kagerí´ (aka Heat Wave), Tracked, and The Oil-Hell Murder. So they have, at least, about a third of Gosha's films.

Comment

• Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
            Criterion also has Kagerí´ (aka Heat Wave), Tracked, and The Oil-Hell Murder. So they have, at least, about a third of Gosha's films.
            yeah plenty of material for a future Eclipse box set of his later works as well. I also really want to see CASH CALLS HELL get the full CC treatment too. Just a great early film noir thriller from Gosha.

Comment

• I think I've mentioned this before, but one of Criterion's producers mentioned at a talk that they have the rights to around 200+ Shochiku films. So if they own Tenchu, maybe Criterion does have it.

I think Criterion still has four or five Nikkatsu action pictures. I want those, as the NIKKATSU NOIR set is my favorite Eclipse release.

Comment

• Going back to Zatoichi for a second, I can't believe I forgot that it was one of the hints on this year's New Year's Day drawing (third floor, guy holding the birdcage [Barton Fink?] is holding a cane sword the way that Zatoichi holds his sword.)

Comment

I think I've mentioned this before, but one of Criterion's producers mentioned at a talk that they have the rights to around 200+ Shochiku films. So if they own Tenchu, maybe Criterion does have it.
                  Did the Criterion producer mention if they ever intend to release RIDE IN THE WHIRLWIND and THE SHOOTING? They've kept both films tied up and out of circulation for several years.

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
                  I think Criterion still has four or five Nikkatsu action pictures. I want those, as the NIKKATSU NOIR set is my favorite Eclipse release.
                  One of my favorites, too. If Criterion releases another NIKKATSU NOIR collection I'll buy it.
                  "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                  - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• No, I don't think they mentioned RIDE IN THE WHIRLWIND and/or THE SHOOTING (the Wexner Center talk I referenced was a year or two ago.) The last mention of RIDE and THE SHOOTING I've seen was when Monte Hellman tweeted last year that they were coming this year.

Going back to Zatoichi for a second, Yuko Shimizu posted her Zatoichi drawing on Instagram and Caitlin Kuhwald (riverwater) replied
                    I'm doing one too! ;)
                    . If Caitlin is talking about doing a Zatoichi, I'm not sure the Shimizu is for a release as they don't really mix artists on releases like this.

Comment

• yeah, the Nikkatsu Noir Eclipse set is one of the better ones in the series for sure. I always used to favor TAKE AIM AT THE POLICE VAN as my pick of the litter but upon several viewings, I have to say A COLT IS MY PASSPORT is now my definitive fave of the 5. Yes! It would be a godsend if Criterion ever releases a companion volume of Nikkatsu Action films. Been waiting forever to see a legit R1 version of Kurahara's GLASS JOHNNY: LOOKS LIKE A BEAST & Buichi Sato's PLAINS WANDERER. Make it happen Criterion! :up:

Comment

• Here is what Marc Walkow said back in 2008,
                        as Criterion plans at least two Eclipse box sets of Nikkatsu titles (one of them to include A Colt is My Passport), and most likely two individual, full-on Criterion Collection releases of two additional films from the genre. Four of the films came from the screening series, and I'm happy to say that I had a significant part in brokering the deal and choosing the titles. And with all luck, Criterion will be coming back to the well for more titles, if these initial ones do well enough. Rest assured that you'll have the first news here of any future title announcements or plans from them regarding these films.
                        I wonder if the Kurahara set was the other Nikkatsu Eclipse release that he was talking about?

He also confirmed in 2009 that Criterion has RED HANDKERCHIEF and THE VELVET HUSTLER and that "Criterion has..two more early Suzukis." Maybe these four will get individual Criterion releases instead of being put into another Eclipse set.

Nikkatsu was, and maybe still is, selling Gangster VIP in a package with the 6 other films in the series and, at the time, Criterion didn't want to release the whole series so they passed.
                        Derrick King
                        Waterfall Puncher
                        Last edited by Derrick King; 07-14-2013, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Here is what Marc Walkow said back in 2008,

I wonder if the Kurahara set was the other Nikkatsu Eclipse release that he was talking about?

He also confirmed in 2009 that Criterion has RED HANDKERCHIEF and THE VELVET HUSTLER and that "Criterion has..two more early Suzukis." Maybe these four will get individual Criterion releases instead of being put into another Eclipse set.

Nikkatsu was, and maybe still is, selling Gangster VIP in a package with the 6 other films in the series and, at the time, Criterion didn't want to release the whole series so they passed.
                          How well did this Nikkatsu Noir series do in terms of sales? Considering 5 yrs have elapsed since that statement regarding a second Nikkatsu Eclipse set, I would venture to say the likelihood is high that the second release in question is THE WARPED WORLD OF KK boxset. yeah, I would love to see the 2 Toshio Masuda films released in another Eclipse set at the very least. Shame Criterion passed on Gangster VIP though as that was Watari's breakout role. I will always be pleased if Criterion decides to release more Suzuki but I feel that Hasebe is sadly neglected. It would be awesome if Criterion were able to put together an Eclipse set of his early Nikkatsu action flicks like SLAUGHTER GUN, SAVAGE WOLF PACK, RETALIATION, etc.

Comment

• I've never seen any comment about how the Nikkatsu Noir set sold. I remember there seemed to be some buzz around it, but who knows how much of that translated into sales.

Anyway, back when the Nikkatsu Noir set came out, Walkow posted on his blog about giving a copy to Joe Shishido

Comment

• Jo seems like a great guy and quite a character too. I'll have to make a note to visit that izakaya next time I stop over in Tokyo. If I see him, I'll tell him that it's a great pleasure to finally meet Japan's #1 Nikkatsu "golden era" star, Akira Kobayashi.

Comment

• I wish Criterion could get its hands on ONE-EYED JACKS (Paramount, 1961) and PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID (MGM, 1973).

Peckinpah's workprint of PAT GARRETT needs a hi-def scan, a basic clean-up, a scene reinstated, the audio tuned up, and a grading that conforms to the theatrical release. The theatrical release is also needed. Wouldn't it be nice if they included a commentary by Stephen Prince who did a fine job on Criterion's edition of STRAW DOGS. A supplement that includes all the various outtakes and alternate takes that are floating around would also be welcome.

ONE-EYED JACKS fell into public domain somehow. For picture quality, the only decent edition remains the Paramount laser-disc. All the cheap DVD's are ported from that. Front Row Entertainment's oop DVD is best of the ports but that's not saying much. Considerable outtake footage is rumored to survive including an entire prison and prison break scene.
                                "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                                - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Working...
                                X