Clear All

• Arrow Releasing The Hired Hand

US/CAN TITLE: The Hired Hand (Blu-ray)

Click image for larger version

Name:	34782279_1359975064145820_3644835296085803008_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	369273

A beautiful elegiac picture that ranks as one of the finest Westerns the seventies had to offer.

Pre-order via Amazon: Link Coming Soon
    Release date: 18th September

Having been at the forefront of America's here-and-now with Easy Rider and the counterculture movies of Roger Corman, Peter Fonda retreated to the past and the American West for his directorial debut, The Hired Hand.

Fonda plays Harry, a man who deserted his wife and child to explore the wide-open plains with his best friend Archie (Warren Oates). “Tired of the life”, he decides to finally return home in order to rekindle his marriage and reacquaint himself with his daughter.

Scripted by Alan Sharp (Ulzana's Raid, Night Moves), shot by Vilmos Zsigmond (Blow Out, The Long Goodbye) and with a standout score by folk musician Bruce Langhorne, The Hired Hand is a beautiful, elegiac picture that ranks alongside The Outlaw Josey Wales and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid as one of the finest Westerns the seventies had to offer.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the feature, transferred from original film elements by Universal
    • Uncompressed Mono 1.0 PCM Audio
    • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • Audio commentary by actor-director Peter Fonda
    • The Return of The Hired Hand, a 2003 documentary containing interviews with Fonda, cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond, composer Bruce Langhorne, actor Verna Bloom and others
    • Deleted scenes
    • The Odd Man, Charles Gormley and Bill Forsyth's 1978 documentary portrait of Scottish screenwriters, including Alan Sharp
    • Interview with Martin Scorsese
    • Warren Oates and Peter Fonda at the National Film Theatre, an audio recording of the actors' appearance at the NFT London in 1971
    • Stills gallery
    • Trailers
    • TV spots
    • Radio spots
    • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sean Phillips

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Kim Morgan.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

This is an excellent film, with a superb script from Alan Sharp and trippy editing from Mazzola. I reviewed the UK disc elsewhere ( http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=4513 ; there are some large screengrabs in the review if anyone wants tos see them). It's a beautiful presentation of the film.

'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Working...
    X