Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eddie Murphy To Play Rudy Ray Moore In 'Dolemite Is My Name' Bio Pic For Netflix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like fun!

Comment

I agree these modern day biopics are just awful in their mediocrity. But Eddie Murphy is a more charismatic star than what these films usually get, and it's nice seeing him do something that's closer to his old comedy than his recent films.
      "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I'll watch this.

Not getting my hopes up though, cause you know... Netflix.

Murphy was so good back in the day, but he really hasn't made a single watchable film since the previous millenium. If someone is due to break out of his slump, it is him, haha.
        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Eddie Murphy started out so well with 48 Hours and Trading Places, but I can't recall a film of his that I've liked since then (okay, I liked the first Shrek). Never been a big fan of RRM, so I'm not salivating over this. But, as it's Netflix and I've already paid for it, might as well give it a try.
          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
            Eddie Murphy started out so well with 48 Hours and Trading Places, but I can't recall a film of his that I've liked since then (okay, I liked the first Shrek). Never been a big fan of RRM, so I'm not salivating over this. But, as it's Netflix and I've already paid for it, might as well give it a try.

This is supposed to be Eddie Murphy's first R-rated film since 1999's Life, so, that's interesting.

Also, Wesley Snipes is in this. It has a good cast. I'm willing to give it a go.

Eddie Murphy... Thinking of the last movies of his I really enjoyed... Bowfinger... Yeah, I guess that's it, Bowfinger.

I did pick up a Blu-ray of The Tower Heist, a movie from 2011 that he was in. It was $2, so, I bought it earlier this year. I'll give it a watch sometime. It has a decent cast. If it's no good, no big loss. $2....

Comment

Uuuh... I mean I'll watch it, but the voice is totally off. Love the cast though.
              https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

Ice T has Tweeted about this so you know it's cool.

Comment

My review:

Rudy Ray Moore (Eddie Murphy) was a true from the streets success. And, a late bloomer, as it were. After years of trying to breakthrough as an entertainer in L.A., the 40-something Moore took some stories he heard around his neighborhood and created the stand up comedian character of the cocky Dolemite. That act lead to underground success with self-released record albums and touring. With the Blacksploitation film genre exploding, it was only a matter of time until Dolemite hit the big screen.

Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski's script traces those crucial years in Moore's life in the early 70s. A raw, rude and raucous screenplay it is. Director Craig Brewer mostly keeps to the spirit of the writing and lets the dialogue and the acting take center stage.
                  And, with Eddie Murphy delivering a strong energetic performance, it's best to stand back and let him fly. And, soar he does. With the makeup, hair and some extra pounds, Murphy takes on the dynamo persona of Moore/Dolemite. Occasionally, Murphy is "too good" an actor to totally capture the rough hewn Moore, who was more a force of nature than a smooth performer -- but, it's hard to fault him for giving "too good" a performance! Wesley Snipes is almost unrecognizable as D'urville Martin, a "name" actor who Moore lures by letting him Direct. Kodi Smit-McPhee plays Nicholas Von Sternberg* Dolemite's cinematographer straight out of film school who leads a band of young white behind the scenes crew members. The real scene stealer is Da'Vine Joy Randolph as Lady Reed, a small town girl who Moore discovers on tour. The entire cast throws themselves into this with a verge and enthusiasm that is palpable.

The movie is a bit too long, with padded exposition and too close a fealty to the bio-pic template, but, as Dolemite himself might say: Who gives a $^@# about that!? You want action? You want laughs? You want some nasty?! We got it all!
                  Listen to Dolemite.

* Note: I've worked closely with Nick Von Sternberg, so yes, it's based on a true person. Very kind gentleman. Indeed, he is the son of master filmmaker Josef Von Sternberg (although he passed when Nick was still a teen). Nick worked for over two decades as a cinematographer before leaving the business.

Comment

Debuts on Netflix today. See my full review above

Comment

Good review, sums up my feelings on it. Honestly, I was just happy to hear Eddie Murphy say, "Motherfucker" again. Warmed my heart.

Comment

Despite all my nostaliga for Eddie Murphy and Wesley Snipes I found this quite boring, but then again I tend to find all biopics quite boring, as they have a tendancy to just plod along without any real twists or turns.
                        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

I enjoyed it. Liked it, didn't love it. Don't know if I need to watch it again but I had fun with it. Murphy is good here but Nabonga is right, his voice is wrong and that stood out to me a lot. I liked the supporting cast a lot though. Snipes is excellent here as is Randolph. It's a reasonably slick picture and it made me laugh in a few spots. I did find myself wishing that it had given us a bit more 'character development' and shown more of Rudy's struggle before crafting the Dolemite persona but overall, this was fine entertainment.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                            I enjoyed it. Liked it, didn't love it. Don't know if I need to watch it again but I had fun with it. Murphy is good here but Nabonga is right, his voice is wrong and that stood out to me a lot. I liked the supporting cast a lot though. Snipes is excellent here as is Randolph. It's a reasonably slick picture and it made me laugh in a few spots. I did find myself wishing that it had given us a bit more 'character development' and shown more of Rudy's struggle before crafting the Dolemite persona but overall, this was fine entertainment.
                            Im sensing it was a Netflix weekend in the Jane household.

Comment

Just Netflix Sunday.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Same reaction as Ian. A fine movie but not a masterpiece or a must watch not unless you're already a fan of Murray or Blaxploitation.
                                "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Working...
                                X