Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eddie Murphy To Play Rudy Ray Moore In 'Dolemite Is My Name' Bio Pic For Netflix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie Murphy To Play Rudy Ray Moore In 'Dolemite Is My Name' Bio Pic For Netflix

"Eddie Murphy is about to return to the screen for the first time in awhile. He's starring in Dolemite Is My Name, a Netflix film which begins production June 12 about the life of Rudy Ray Moore, the star of the blaxploitation Dolemite films. Hustle and Flow's Craig Brewer is directing a script by Scott Alexander & Larry Karaszewski, the writing team behind such quirky biographical films as Big Eyes, Ed Wood and The People Vs. Larry Flynt. John Davis and John Fox are producing with Murphy, who has been eager to play this role for a decade."

More here:

https://deadline.com/2018/06/eddie-m...ki-1202404562/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Good casting but Netflix produced movies are very hit and miss.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Wesley Snipes is playing D'Urville Martin!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-movie-1120125
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Isn't Eddie....old now?

Comment

RRM was almost 50 when he made Dolemite, Murphy is currently in his late 50s. Makeup will fix it.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Didn't realize Rudy was that old. Cool.

Comment

Black don't crack.

Comment

Pictures from the set.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...970s-garb.html

I wanna see this.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Dolemite is my Name

Comment

I will watch this.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This looks great!
                      "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I cant NOT watch this. I still laugh at Eddie Murphy and I love Blaxploitation. Win win.

Comment

Anyone who doesn't want to see this is a rat soup-eating motherfucker!

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                            Anyone who doesn't want to see this is a rat soup-eating motherfucker!
                            I guess that's what I am then.

In MAN ON THE MOON there's a moment where Andy Kaufman is having a meal with his manager and he excitedly tells him - and us - that what he's doing with his comedy is "like punk rock". Kaufman never said that, and while I'm certain that 90% of the exchanges people had in that script were nowhere near verbatim if they weren't just totally fabricated, it's indicative of what I really dislike about biopics - the insistence on characters continually telling the audience how IMPORTANT everything they're seeing is. This trailer felt like nothing but those types of exclamations:

"I'm going to make a COMEDY record!"

"I've got to be TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUS!"

"I want the WORLD to know I EXIST!"

Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski are the kings of this kind of writing and it gives me a swift pain. Their brand of distilled, sugar coated history isn't for me.

Seeing comedians play out scenes from Moore's flicks doesn't do anything for me either. I'll sit down with the original films again before I'll watch actors pretend to be shitty actors who had no illusions about being shitty actors. Sending up movies that were comedies in the first place seems pretty redundant.

I know I'm being a curmudgeon but using this trailer as a barometer of what to expect in the actual film (which is what trailers are supposed to do) my gut tells me this will just make me upset. I know pretty much for certain that I'll have a better time watching DISCO GODFATHER again instead.
                            Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
                              I guess that's what I am then.

In MAN ON THE MOON there's a moment where Andy Kaufman is having a meal with his manager and he excitedly tells him - and us - that what he's doing with his comedy is "like punk rock". Kaufman never said that, and while I'm certain that 90% of the exchanges people had in that script were nowhere near verbatim if they weren't just totally fabricated, it's indicative of what I really dislike about biopics - the insistence on characters continually telling the audience how IMPORTANT everything they're seeing is. This trailer felt like nothing but those types of exclamations:

"I'm going to make a COMEDY record!"

"I've got to be TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUS!"

"I want the WORLD to know I EXIST!"

Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski are the kings of this kind of writing and it gives me a swift pain. Their brand of distilled, sugar coated history isn't for me.

Seeing comedians play out scenes from Moore's flicks doesn't do anything for me either. I'll sit down with the original films again before I'll watch actors pretend to be shitty actors who had no illusions about being shitty actors. Sending up movies that were comedies in the first place seems pretty redundant.

I know I'm being a curmudgeon but using this trailer as a barometer of what to expect in the actual film (which is what trailers are supposed to do) my gut tells me this will just make me upset. I know pretty much for certain that I'll have a better time watching DISCO GODFATHER again instead.
                              The do that and let the rest of us enjoy what will likely be entertaining, if not accurate, you rat soup-eating motherfucker! :)

Comment

Working...
                              X