No announcement yet.

Real or Fake 4K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still holding out, Jack. I know my OCD would kick in and I'd have to take a out a reverse mortgage on my house to pay for all the upgrades I'd do...and then again for stuff that goes to UHD!
    VHS will never die!

Comment

I don't know how UHD sales are going (there's been a hell of a lot of discounting on UHD titles in the UK and Italy recently which makes me suspicious), but if/when the boutique labels start regularly doing UHD discs (I know there are a few one offs like Suspiria, TCM and Zombi), that's when I'll jump on board. Until then I'm too cautious to invest in technology that may go in my cupboard with the HD DVD player, Laserdisc, Minidisc, Dreamcast etc.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
        I don't know how UHD sales are going (there's been a hell of a lot of discounting on UHD titles in the UK and Italy recently which makes me suspicious), but if/when the boutique labels start regularly doing UHD discs (I know there are a few one offs like Suspiria, TCM and Zombi), that's when I'll jump on board. Until then I'm too cautious to invest in technology that may go in my cupboard with the HD DVD player, Laserdisc, Minidisc, Dreamcast etc.
        Your reason for not buying an UHD player is flawed because there is zero risk of obsolescence due to UHD players being backwards compatible with Blu Ray and DVD. Plus UHD is the agreed upon standard for for delivery of 4K material on physical disc whereas the examples you listed were proprietary formats like mini disc or a competing format backed by a consortium of different manufacturers like HD DVD. The only reason I can see for not purchasing an UHD player is if you never intend to upgrade to a 4K display (highly unlikely) or you just don't want to pay a premium for the capability of playing UHD discs.

Comment

No, it's a fucking waste of money until there's content I want to watch on it.
          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Regardless of the limited UHD content available at the moment, my point is that anyone who purchases a UHD player now won't have it laying in the cupboard with all the other obsolete tech because it's a legacy player. Even if you don't buy a single UHD title, the new player will invariably have better performance just playing standard DVDs and Blu rays due to having a newer chipset, better video processing & upscaling, tone mapping, a more robust drive mechanism, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X