Sicario 2: Soldado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sicario 2: Soldado

looking forward to this. some genuinely tense moments in Sicario.

directed by the son of one of the Sergios

Sicario was a superb film but it didn't need a sequel.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
      Sicario was a superb film but it didn't need a sequel.
      Agreed.
      "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Comment

I watched the first film not too long ago on FX so it was cut. I thought it was okay up until the ending, which, was stupid. It seemed like a serious film with a point to make then turned typical & ridiculous.

The sequel looks awful esp the bump-firing at point range with the handgun.

Comment

i really liked Sicario and am in the same boat that think a sequel was not necessary.

but, still looking forward to the sequel since it is here. might be good

Comment

I liked it very much. It's by no means a perfect sequel but nither was Rambo: First Blood Part 2 or Death Wish 2. Not great films but certainly entertaining in there own right and following some ambitious originals. I think Day of the Soldado should be viewed similarly.
              Welcome to Costco, I love you.

Comment

I actually did not like the sequel. The first 30-45 minutes was a good set up and got me excited, but then the plot completely looses its logic, and the pace of the film drop, rendering the entire second half both boring and dumb. I wont spoil the storyline, but the entire second half doesnt make a lick of sense in my oppinion.

Comment

It was an unusual decision to do a sequel without its main character (Kate, played by Emily Blunt). Of course, it was the title character of the Sicario played by Benicio Del Toro that stole the show. Unfortunately, he isn't given enough to do here to justify a sequel.

For a violent action sequel, DAY OF THE SOLDADO has more on it's mind than most - unfortunately, most of those ideas aren't all that great. The plan hatched by Josh Brolin's Matt and Matthew Modine's Secretary of Defense is riddled with idiocies. Catherine Keener is given the thankless role of Matt's handler - yet, he just ignores her at every turn. The actress who plays the young girl Isabel (Isabela Moner) caught in the middle is quite good, and there's a nice section with her and Del Toro which is the best thing in the movie. The action is decently handled and Hildur Guí°nadí³ttir does a good job re-formulating his mentor Johann Johannsson's score from the original movie (Johannsson is given a solo In Memory Of card to the movie's credit). Dariusz Wolski is a good cinematographer, but his work here pales compared to Roger Deakins' Oscar nominated lensing in the first movie. Stefano Sollima does a competent job filling Denis Villenueve's very large shoes in the Director's chair. The major behind the scenes creative returning force is Screenwriter Taylor Sheridan. While talented, he still has problems writing three dimensional female figures (Blunt's Kate was like a human pinata, as, largely, was Elizabeth Olsen's Jane in WIND RIVER -- despite both supposedly being strong women (which Sheridan also Directed)). And, that's without even mentioning some of the messily uncomfortable racial overtones. HELL OR HIGH WATER remains a superb movie, but, in light of SOLDADO and WIND RIVER, one must credit Director David Mackenzie more than at first blush.

Even though a SICARIO sequel didn't look like a likely candidate, SOLDADO makes certain that another one wouldn't be unexpected, as mediocre as it is. And, man, does it NOT earn the right to re-purpose THAT CONCLUDING SHOT! Especially, considering it's a Director with an Italian heritage. Let's just leave it at that.

Comment

I liked this one. It slows down a little bit but I thought it was a good followup.

Comment

You guys should check out Suburra ( the movie ) and Gomorrah ( tv show ) from the same director, and probably the reason he got this gig. It's the best stuff out of Italy in a long damn time.

Comment

Originally posted by Consigliere View Post
                        You guys should check out Suburra ( the movie ) and Gomorrah ( tv show ) from the same director, and probably the reason he got this gig. It's the best stuff out of Italy in a long damn time.
                        I haven't seen SUBURRA yet but I loved A.C.A.B., and GOMORRAH the television series is phenomenal.
                        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                          I haven't seen SUBURRA yet but I loved A.C.A.B., and GOMORRAH the television series is phenomenal.
                          Suburra is right up there with em.

Sicario 2 is a turd though :(

Comment

Working...
                          X